free counter with statistics
:: ProjeKction - King Crimson NET :: • View topic - What's In the News

What's In the News

This is the place where all the odds and ends are posted. Whether it is animal, vegetable or mineral, all errata should be placed here for safe keeping.

What's In the News

Postby vrooom on Thu Jul 17, 2003 10:34 am

If you see any interesting/weird news stories - post 'em on the end of this thread.

Darren
vrooom
Button Pusher

The Lost Chord

Postby vrooom on Thu Jul 17, 2003 10:34 am

I read this and laughed until I cried. I then tried to retune my guitar...

http://www.ananova.com/entertainment/story/sm_800681.html
vrooom
Button Pusher

Postby Dog_none on Thu Jul 17, 2003 12:36 pm

Looks like they took it down...
I was just now thinking about the Jaws Of Life
how they chew you up and spit you right
back into the frying pan
Dog_none
Projizzle Dizzle Nizzle

Postby vrooom on Thu Jul 17, 2003 12:42 pm

Man that pisses me off...

Basically it was a story about Metallica and how they were suing another band because they used the E and F chords in a particular style. When I read the story I thought it was April Fool's Day - obviously it must have been a bogus story.

Here is the story cut and pasted from another site:

Metallica have take legal action against independent Canadian rock group Unfaith, claiming they have "shamelessly" copied their use of the E and F chords.

The rock legends say they have been using the chord sequence since 1982 and believe their fans have come to associate it with their music.

They claim they should be credited each time the chords are used, and want 50% of the royalties for each song that features them.

"We're not saying we own those two chords, individually - that would be ridiculous," said Metallica drummer Lars Ulrich.

"We're just saying that in that specific order, people have grown to associate E, F with our music."

According to MTV, Metallica filed a trademark infringement suit in California after having sent a letter of complaint to Unfaith singer/songwriter Erik Ashley.

Jill Pietrini, lawyer for Metallica, said internet based Unfaith, "shamelessly feature the two chords on their website song samples."

Ashley, who is due to release a full statement on the matter in the coming days, responded: "I thought it was a prank at first. Now I'm not sure what to think."

Darren
vrooom
Button Pusher

Postby Absinthe on Thu Jul 17, 2003 2:14 pm

Har Darren! :lol:

They're still jealous that Jethro Tull won the first Heavy Metal grammy. ;-)

This is a great thread! Truth is stranger than fiction, after all....

Abs
Absinthe

Postby Cuzn Ed on Thu Jul 17, 2003 2:25 pm

vroooooooooom wrote:When I read the story I thought it was April Fool's Day - obviously it must have been a bogus story.

Yeah, this story has the ring of fiction to it - but then so did that report that Metallica planned a summer package tour with Limp Bizshit and Linkin Fart.

[Yep, that's right, i just busted out two juvenile band-name-becomes-body-function jokes. I've decided i'm ok with it.]
Cuzn Ed

Too Many EEEEs and FFFFs

Postby Chip Orr on Thu Jul 17, 2003 2:48 pm

Ok, I like Metallica and all, but that lawsuit sounds totally ridiculous!!!
Chip Orr
ProjeKction Freak

Postby highlythrakked on Thu Jul 17, 2003 3:28 pm

The Phrygians will now probably sue Metallica.
highlythrakked
ProjeKction Connoisseur

Sue me, sue you blues

Postby Tim Gainer on Thu Jul 17, 2003 4:05 pm

If they want to play that game, I say every musician alive sue Metallica for using any chords found in the Dorian scale.
Tim Gainer

Re: Sue me, sue you blues

Postby Phil T. on Thu Jul 17, 2003 8:36 pm

Tim Gainer wrote:If they want to play that game, I say every musician alive sue Metallica for using any chords found in the Dorian scale.

Don't think you'll find many of those nice, soothing minor sevenths in Metallica's repertoire. Maybe they should just copyright the Aeolian mode and be done with it.

I just want everyone to know that I have personally been using the I-IV-V progression since the early '70s and believe all you latter-day wannabes owe me big time royalties.

This just has to be a hoax. Either that or the Metallica legal department is out to lunch.

Phil T.
Phil T.

Next

Return to Errata