free counter with statistics
:: ProjeKction - King Crimson NET :: • View topic - Movie Chatter

Movie Chatter

This is the place where all the odds and ends are posted. Whether it is animal, vegetable or mineral, all errata should be placed here for safe keeping.

Movie Chatter

Postby Indyrod on Fri May 09, 2003 10:32 pm

This is not a movie list thread, it's a thread I always wanted to start at KCNN, but it never seemed appropriate. Here it does. Of course, if anybody wants to post a movie list, that's fine too, you know, there are no moderators at FraKctured, so have at it. Velvet started a great Top Ten list, which I love, so this is a chance to just discuss movies in general, especially Cult films, or really anything you enjoy. And that includes, actors, actresses, directors, sequels, documentaries, independent films, little films, big films, terrible films, or just those certain movies that you can watch over and over again.

The recent discussion in the SPACE topic, around cult films is what prompted me to start this topic. Movies like "The Tenant", "The Peeping Tom", were in current discussion, and I would like to add a particular favorite of mine, somewhat along the lines of "The Tenant", which is "The Sentinel", a scary thriller directed by the acclaimed director Michael Winner, and released in 1977. It's about a N.Y.C. fashion model, played by Cristina Raimes, who rents a brownstone in Brooklyn that is full of demons. The story revolves around none other, than the guardian to the gateway to Hell. An early film of Christopher Walken, but also great actors/actresses like Ava Gardner, Burgess Meredeth, Sylvia Miles, Chris Sarrandon, Jose Ferrer, Arthur Kennedy, John Carradine, Eli Wallach, Jerry Orbach, Jeff Goldblum, and many more. A superb cast, and one scary ass story. Catch it if you can!!!
Indyrod
Permanently Temporary ProjeKction Admin

Postby MALCOLM XERXES™ on Fri May 09, 2003 10:58 pm

INDYROD,

Thanks for the recommendation!

That is a film that I keep confusing with THE KEEP™, so I am unsure whether or not I've seen it.

The mention of HERR CHRISTOPHER WALKEN, whose work I admire, leads me to the conclusion that I have not seen it, so I shall do so @ the earliest opportunity.
MALCOLM XERXES™

Postby Absinthe on Fri May 09, 2003 11:01 pm

I like the Sentinal too, Indy! It was released a little before my aware time (I was born in 1970) but I've seen it on TV. Very creepy!

I love bizarre, dark films. There are so many of them, where to begin? A Clockwork Orange is great (I know, I'm sick) because it's so very weird and twisted. Delicatessenis good and has a cannibalistic premise. Ken Russell's films are really crazy, as well. Has anyone ever seen Mahler? Russell can give Peter Greenaway a run for his money!

Absinthe
Absinthe

Postby MALCOLM XERXES™ on Fri May 09, 2003 11:09 pm

ABSINTHE,

I think that MR. KEN RUSSELL blows MR. PETER GREENAWAY out of the water as a screen storyteller.
MALCOLM XERXES™

SPOILER RULE

Postby Indyrod on Fri May 09, 2003 11:57 pm

This is something I should have mentioned up front, because it is an important rule in any movie thread, or forum. PLEASE, do not give away any plot twists, or surprise endings that would ruin the movie for others without putting the following in front of it:

SPOILER

What this means, is if a reader reads past the SPOILER designation, then it will probably be information that gives away major significant storylines, twists, or surprises that may ruin the movie for you. If you have not seen the movie being discussed, then don't read any further, or read at your own risk. You will be dragged down the front stretch of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway at 250mph by Mario Andretti, if you violate this rule. :wink: Seriously, you can give away movie information like that, but please do proceed it with SPOILER. thank you..
Indyrod

Ken Russell

Postby Indyrod on Sat May 10, 2003 12:17 am

Absinthe wrote: Ken Russell's films are really crazy, as well. Has anyone ever seen Mahler? Russell can give Peter Greenaway a run for his money!

Absinthe

oh yes, I love Ken Russell's classical music composer movies, even though they are a bit, well, Ken Russell. Mahler, The Music Lovers (Tchaikovsky), and Lisztomania (Franz Liszt) are great imo, although most critics hate them. Have you seen Gothic? I love that Russell movie, but my favorite KR film is still Altered States. That's a totally mind blowing trip of a movie, with super IQ dialog that is unsurpassed imo. Incidently, it doesn't hurt to be in a little altered state when you see it. :wink:

oh yea, Tommy ain't bad either... :twisted:
Indyrod

Postby Mark Rende on Sat May 10, 2003 1:18 am

Speaking of Altered States (which is a great flick for sure), does anyone remember a film with Alan Arkin that was kind of a parody of Altered States? It's been driving me crazy for a long time, because I can't think of what it was. Maybe I'm just imagining it??

Great thread, Indy. I love reading the top ten thread too, but never posted because it's just too hard to come up with a top ten when it changes everyday depending mood and current interests.
Mark Rende

The Keep

Postby Indyrod on Sat May 10, 2003 1:53 am

MALCOLM XERXES wrote:INDYROD,

That is a film that I keep confusing with THE KEEPâ„¢, so I am unsure whether or not I've seen it.

The mention of HERR CHRISTOPHER WALKEN, whose work I admire, leads me to the conclusion that I have not seen it, so I shall do so @ the earliest opportunity.

yea, me too, Chistopher rules..The Keep is about an ancient fortress during WW2, that has a demon creature inside. And the fortress was built to keep in the demon. The Nazis take it over, and all hell breaks lose. Scott Glenn is the star. Great effects, just saw it a couple weeks ago. Hell of a demon too. :evil:
Indyrod

The Alan Arkin movie in question is Simon

Postby Chip Orr on Sat May 10, 2003 3:40 am

Mark,

The Alan Arkin movie to which you refer is called Simon. It's a classic in the early Woody Allen movie vein. Highly recommended.

Here's a link for more info:

http://us.imdb.com/Title?0081518

Chip
Chip Orr
ProjeKction Freak

Re: The Keep

Postby Absinthe on Sat May 10, 2003 4:08 am

Indyrod wrote:
MALCOLM XERXES wrote:INDYROD,

That is a film that I keep confusing with THE KEEP™, so I am unsure whether or not I've seen it.

yea, me too, Chistopher rules..The Keep is about an ancient fortress during WW2, that has a demon creature inside. And the fortress was built to keep in the demon. The Nazis take it over, and all hell breaks lose. Scott Glenn is the star. Great effects, just saw it a couple weeks ago. Hell of a demon too. :evil:

I'd like to introduce you all to a great author. The Keep was based on the book by F. Paul Wilson, who's books are quite excellent. He writes a series using a character called Repairman Jack. He's a sort 'Jack of all trades' who steps in when all hope is lost and disappears as fast as he comes. Some of the scenarios which he encounters are hilarious and Wilson does a great job with his dialogue, giving him quite a personality. If you like to read suspense stories you might want to check him out.

Absinthe

Yes, great thread, Indy! :)
Absinthe

Next

Return to Errata