free counter with statistics
:: ProjeKction - King Crimson NET :: • View topic - Manifesto: KC ain't no Heavy Metal

Manifesto: KC ain't no Heavy Metal

This is the place where all the odds and ends are posted. Whether it is animal, vegetable or mineral, all errata should be placed here for safe keeping.

Manifesto: KC ain't no Heavy Metal

Postby Ironclaw on Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:50 am

KC is not and never has been a Heavy Metal Band, right? There is always a crucial difference, even at their most HEAVY.

Progressive Rock fans who were fans back in the heyday of the genre during the 70s like me generally were shameless musical snobs. There is no accounting for taste, as people say, but at that time we looked down on lots of music (as we should not have). We didn't just look down on stuff like Disco and all that, we also looked down on most Heavy Metal. That's right. We even looked down on classic acts like Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, and Deep Purple. (We called it Heavy Metal, anyway.)

Nowadays, I kinda like Heavy Metal, especially those classic bands that started it. But still, KC never did Heavy Metal. Not on ITCOTKC in 20thCSchzMan, not during LTIA-SABB-Red, nor even later on the Construction of Light or The Power to Believe.

But there seem to be people who like KC as if it were some kind of Heavy Metal Band, or they seem to like it for some of the music's merely superficial resemblance to Metal.

Or at least it seems that some KC fans' musical taste outside KC generally tends towards Heavy Metal.

And I don't get it. Because I'd agree with Jamie Muir. KC was rock BUT with "more than three brain cells."

OK, I admit some Heavy Metal has more than 3 brains cells. But not much.
Ironclaw
ProjeKction Groupie

Re: Manifesto: KC ain't no Heavy Metal

Postby EruditeMan on Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:07 am

I agree... I don't really enjoy heavy metal, but even though there wasn't any actual heavy metal in even late-KC, late-KC turned me off at first because it was a bit metal-tinged. It certainly got heavier after the double trio. Eventually I learned how to appreciate Construction of Light and Power To Believe and now love them. Once you know the material you realize it may sound like heavy metal, but certainly is not.

THRAK and all earlier forms of the band were still heavy, but in a purely King Crimson way (which is to say a more powerful one), I'm sure you all know what I mean.
EruditeMan
ProjeKction Fan

Postby Geno on Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:32 pm

Correct. Crimson have never been metal, but they've often been heavier than that.
There's just three things in my life that I regret
There's everything I've done, everything I'm doing
And what I haven't done yet
Geno
ProjeKction Veteran

Postby Krimzep on Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:16 am

Fripp called it Nouveau Metal. To me its stronger than that, I see it as a new age industrial acid that eats right through metal.
Krimzep
ProjeKction Godlike

Return to Errata