free counter with statistics
:: ProjeKction - King Crimson NET :: • View topic - Books to Recommend

Books to Recommend

This is the place where all the odds and ends are posted. Whether it is animal, vegetable or mineral, all errata should be placed here for safe keeping.

Books to Recommend

Postby RYG on Fri May 25, 2007 4:04 pm

I don't know how big of a "readers" crowd we have here and I can't remember a topic for books around here (I apologize if there already is one) but I've been on a reading kick lately and I have a few books to recommend:

They are:
Dispatch by Bentley Little -- A really quick read because it is so good. For lack of a better word it is a "horror" novel but it is more than that. It follows a fellow from his teen years through adult-hood and what he gets for writing complaint letters so well that he gets recruited to do more letter writing for a strange group of people.
The Ruins by Scott Smith -- A riveting story of a group of tourists that get lost while hiking and a very strange thing that happens to them while lost. If I say any more I will give it away.
Life of Pi by Yann Martel -- I read this several years ago and wanted to re-read it because it was so good. This is a surreal story of an Indian fellow who by some unusual circumstances finds himself stuck on a lifeboat with a few wild animals and what happens during their journey. This is a must read.
My favorite movies (right now):
"Lost In Translation", "Mulholland Drive", "Pulp Fiction", "Sin City", "Buffalo '66", "Ghost World", "Apocolypse Now (Redux)", "Donnie Darko", "Raising Arizona", "Shawshank Redemption"
RYG
ProjeKction Freak

Postby vrooom on Fri May 25, 2007 6:53 pm

I can't read. But as a joke, there is a web blog dedicated to a book I wrote a couple of years back.

http://www.deadrockstar.co.uk

Dare you to read it, fuckers!

Darren
vrooom
Button Pusher

Postby vrooom on Fri May 25, 2007 7:51 pm

In fact, here's a more easily digested PDF version of the novella for your consideration. This was written for a 13-15 male audience in mind, so don't expect Shogspere...

http://www.projekction.net/DRS_DARREN_LOCK.pdf

Darren
vrooom
Button Pusher

Postby Fred on Fri May 25, 2007 10:23 pm

vrooom wrote:In fact, here's a more easily digested PDF version of the novella for your consideration. This was written for a 13-15 male audience in mind, so don't expect Shogspere...

http://www.projekction.net/DRS_DARREN_LOCK.pdf

Darren

Well that's better......i have something to read on my work when the system is down again.

Fred
Fred
ProjeKction Godlike

Re: Books to Recommend

Postby Dale Gribble on Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:03 pm

ANY of the Neil Peart books are great reads. Even if you are not a Rush fan, they are really, really good. He has 4 books out there. Drop me a line if you want more info on them.......................s.
Dale Gribble
ProjeKction Acolyte

Postby Riverman on Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:52 pm

RYG wrote:Dispatch by Bentley Little

I didn't care for that one at all, myself. But that's taste for yas.

My latest couple have been...

Charles Stross, Glasshouse
Fascinating SF.. one of the genre's current leaders as far as I'm concerned. Interesting premise as well, one that does a decent job of pointing out the stupidity of so much of modern life.

Robert Rankin, The Da-da-de-da-da Code
I heard he was a good one for wacky British humo(u)r, but this one is just contrived all over. Maybe his others are better? Anyone know?

China Miéville, The Scar
Wonderful and wonderfully imaginative. A slow read, but only because the prose is so rich. So far it looks like it could at least equal Perdido Street Station - no mean feat.
The sound of one hand clapping is the same as the sound of a tree falling when no one's around to hear it.
Riverman
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby MarkSullivan on Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:53 pm

I recently read Musicophilia : tales of music and the brain by Oliver Sacks. I certainly wouldn't call it light reading; Sacks is a therapist by profession, and he spends a lot of time talking about the brain and the effects of brain disorder and disease on music perception, complete with medical terminology. But at the same time, it has a personal, memoir-like quality about it (which I gather is true of all of his books). The subtitle, "Tales of Music and the Brain," is apt. He organizes the treatment into focus areas, but it's not a formal treatise. Instead he relates case histories, of his patients, others he's been consulted on, and personal stories. Once I adjusted to the style--I was expecting it to be more like Daniel Levitin's This Is Your Brain on Music, which I read a couple months back--I enjoyed it. Sacks relates some remarkable case histories: there's the non-musical person who becomes a gifted composer and performer after being struck by lightning, or the man with the worst case of amnesia ever recorded. He can't remember more than about 7 seconds, yet he can still perform music. There are a number of impressive stories about the therapeutic power of music with other disorders as well. My main reservation is that it's often hard to see what the cases tell us about how the normal, healthy brain processes music, which is my interest. I would definitely recommend the Levitin book if you're interested in what brain research has to say about music; I reviewed it here: http://www.plcmc.org/readers_club/revie ... sp?id=4132
MarkSullivan
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby RYG on Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:23 pm

Just borrowed the "1,000 Recordings to hear before you die" book from the library. As you can tell from the title it's a book which lists an "essential" list of albums / EPs / singles to hear at least once in your lifetime. It's not your typical list of music though. The choices are in artist name order and each selection has a 3/4 page write-up on it. It spans all music genres (including classical) and is quite insightful as I've gleaned a whole list of albums I want to check out now. It has some very interesting choices, one of which is KC's "In the Court of the Crimson King". If you can, you'll be glad if you take a look.
"Lost In Translation", "Mulholland Drive", "Pulp Fiction", "Sin City", "Buffalo '66", "Ghost World", "Apocolypse Now (Redux)", "Donnie Darko", "Raising Arizona", "Shawshank Redemption"
RYG
ProjeKction Freak

Postby Indyrod on Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:42 pm

Thanks RYG, I just put that book on my reserve list at the library.
Everyone thinks I'm psychotic, except for my friends deep inside the earth.

de gustibus non est disputandum
Indyrod
Permanently Temporary ProjeKction Admin

Postby RYG on Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:01 pm

This is not a recommendation (since it hasn't come out yet) but it looks like in March that Bill Bruford will have a biography coming out. I don't know much else about it nor if it is "approved/official" but the small snippet I read sounds interesting.
RYG
ProjeKction Freak

Next

Return to Errata