free counter with statistics
:: ProjeKction - King Crimson NET :: • View topic - King Crimson Influences

King Crimson Influences

This is the place where all the odds and ends are posted. Whether it is animal, vegetable or mineral, all errata should be placed here for safe keeping.

King Crimson Influences

Postby The Crimson Fox on Tue Jan 03, 2006 2:19 pm

Just listened to the excellent Coldplay Parachutes album from 2000. Has
anyone else noticed that track 8, a song called High Speed contains moments
where the bass line sounds exactly like Catfood from In The Wake Of
Poseidon.

Could Chris Martin be a secret King Crimson fan?

Also, have Radiohead ever admitted that King Crimson or Robert Fripp are an
influence on their recorded work. Just listen to the tracks... Just, My
Iron Lung, Airbag and Myxomatosis. On the last album 'Hail To The Thief'
on the song Where I End and You Begin it's as if Mr Fripp is actually
playing frippertronics from the early eighties.

Are there many other recognised new bands who are influenced by King
Crimson and admit it?
Last edited by The Crimson Fox on Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Crimson Fox
ProjeKction Savant

Postby evktalo on Tue Jan 03, 2006 3:53 pm

If a bass line sounds exactly like Cat Food, then it probably also sounds exactly like Come Together.

I'll have to check those Radiohead tracks. Many people have suggested that Airbag owes a lot to Red. Those other titles you suggest I haven't seen elsewhere. I've been a Radiohead fan for a lot longer than I've listened to King Crimson, but I haven't listened to a lot of Radiohead for some time now, so this is a good time to check back, thanks. :)

--Eino
evktalo
ProjeKction Devotee

Re: King Crimson Influences

Postby crimson73 on Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:16 am

[quote="The Crimson Fox"]On the last album 'Hail To The Thief'

[/quote]
Hearing this track when it came out make me go back and listen to all my old Frippertronics LPs to see if I could spot the sample. But I haven't found anything that matches. The Radiohead "Frippertronics" is going a bit too fast compared to any of Fripp's originals. But maybe it has been speeded up. Or the Radiohead boys did a soundalike themselves.

Kjeld
crimson73
ProjeKction Acolyte

Postby monokchrome on Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:36 am

crimson73 wrote:
The Crimson Fox wrote:On the last album 'Hail To The Thief'

Hearing this track when it came out make me go back and listen to all my old Frippertronics LPs to see if I could spot the sample. But I haven't found anything that matches. The Radiohead "Frippertronics" is going a bit too fast compared to any of Fripp's originals. But maybe it has been speeded up. Or the Radiohead boys did a soundalike themselves.

Kjeld

It's not a sample. Jonny Greenwood plays this part; you can see him do it live in concerts as a built-up loop. The tones are generated from his ondes martenot -- a cool, old, French electronic instrument that is basically like a more sophisticated and pitch-precise theremin. Don't forget that samples have to be credited in the liner notes, especially with major bands like Radiohead. So yes, that is *definitely* not a sample of Fripp, altho I will accept that it is sonically similar to Frippertronics.
monokchrome
ProjeKction Regular

Postby crimson73 on Fri Jan 06, 2006 10:31 pm

monokchrome wrote:
crimson73 wrote:
The Crimson Fox wrote:
It's not a sample. Jonny Greenwood plays this part; you can see him do it live in concerts as a built-up loop. The tones are generated from his ondes martenot -- a cool, old, French electronic instrument that is basically like a more sophisticated and pitch-precise theremin. Don't forget that samples have to be credited in the liner notes, especially with major bands like Radiohead. So yes, that is *definitely* not a sample of Fripp, altho I will accept that it is sonically similar to Frippertronics.

Very interesting. Thanks for the intel.
Kjeld
crimson73
ProjeKction Acolyte

Postby crimson73 on Fri Jan 06, 2006 10:43 pm

One of the most surprising KC influences I've come across is the Argentinian singer Juana Molina, who is getting quite well known also outside Argentina. She used to be a comedian but a musical experience made her decide to become a singer. Being Argentinian you would think this would perhaps be some fiery tangos, maybe an Astor Piazzola concert. But no, it was listening to the LTIA album over and over again. She described all this in a Mixing It programme on BBC Radio 3. Her music is good, but none of what I've heard actually sounds like KC.

Kjeld
crimson73
ProjeKction Acolyte

Postby Guest on Sat Jan 13, 2007 6:37 pm

evktalo wrote:If a bass line sounds exactly like Cat Food, then it probably also sounds exactly like Come Together.

Very good evktalo. You are correct sir. When your only working with a 12 tone scale there will be countless examples of "sounds exackly like "insert song title here". The root, 4th, 5th, minor third riff has been beaten to death by all us boring bass players.

If we had any musical aptitude we wouldn't have picked the bass guitar as our choice of brush and canvas.

Postby Guest on Sat Jan 13, 2007 6:45 pm

The Crimson Fox wrote:Just listened to the excellent Coldplay Parachutes album from 2000.

Sorry. Couldn't help myself. I have a terrible cold and I'm even harder to take when I'm sick.

Excellent and Coldplay. Now there's two words that I never thought I would see mentioned in the same sentence.

When I was captured by a right wing death squad and tortured for 72 hours to the sounds of Coldplay all I could think of was, "so anyone is entitled to play piano? Is that what your saying?"

Return to Errata