free counter with statistics
:: ProjeKction - King Crimson NET :: • View topic - Movie Chatter

Movie Chatter

This is the place where all the odds and ends are posted. Whether it is animal, vegetable or mineral, all errata should be placed here for safe keeping.

Re: Movie Chatter

Postby Indyrod on Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:36 pm

John Adams

This many awards winning 7-part HBO series is one of the best ever mini-series concerning American history specifically the American Revolution era. I started watching this monumental achievement Saturday early evening, and except for the very last episode, pretty much finished it up including the documentaries. The last episode is about Adams life after his term as the second President of the United States. This takes the viewer all the way through the Continental Congress, the Declaration of Independence, the war with Britain, the formation of the American government, and the huge role of John Adams in all of that, and an amazing performance by Paul Giamatti as Adams. Also, Laura Linney as Abigail Adams is brilliant. One of the most stunning character performances is David Morse as George Washington. It knocked me out of my chair when I saw him on screen, because he looks almost identical to Washington. The character casting is absolutely sensational, with superb performances with all the legendary characters involved in those events. I love American history, and this brought to light many things I did not even know happened, and it is supposed to be as accurate as any movie ever on the subject. One of the most bizarre scenes, is John Adams meeting the creepy and probably crazy King George. It seems to me, except for a very few and not including the Queens that ruled Great Britain, that most of the Kings were creepy and mentally ill, to say it in a nice as I can way. Anyway, the long trip to Europe John Adams made to secure alliances, and a nice loan from Holland, and his keeping the US out of a War with France, when they turned from huge friends of ours in defeating the Brits in the Revolutionary war, to agressors is brilliantly depicted. This is great stuff, and worthy of the many awards it won, and I hope more movies or mini-series about early America can be made with the quality as this one.
Everyone thinks I'm psychotic, except for my friends deep inside the earth.

de gustibus non est disputandum
Indyrod
Permanently Temporary ProjeKction Admin

Postby Indyrod on Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:42 pm

Funny Games (US Remake)

When I first learned Michael Haneke was remaking Funny Games, I couldn't understand why. The original was so brutal, so depressing, and the wink from Haneke to the viewer, that you really are enjoying this, aren't you, was ok for a single viewing, but I could not imagine watching it more than once. Now this American remake comes along with basically a scene for scene clone of the original, with the original only being ten years old. Did I miss something, was the original so successful that American audiences would be blown away by not having to read subtitles this time? Again, watching this remake is ok for one viewing, but I never want to see it again. I get it Mr. Haneke, I really do, we want to see this family tortured and killed for absolutely no reason except a sick game, but once is enough, and a remake is a little too much for me. If the original turned you off, and it did me, then this one will too, maybe even more. I could never recommend the original, and I certainly can't recommend this one.

Revolver (US Cut)

Guy Ritchie's best movie by a long shot, and I pretty much liked "Lock, Stock", and "Snatch", but they annoyed me with the cockney. This highly original story doesn't have all that cockney, which I have a very hard time understanding, but it does have a brain fucker plot. I don't see how you can have much of a clue understanding the theory behind this very intelligent script on one viewing, and even with a second viewing with Ritchie's excellent commentary, it's still so far advanced from normal thinking about how the mind's ego and reality are defined by this story, that I still have trouble grasping it all. I get what's going on, I understand the characters and their purposes, but the fact that I don't know if I believe the whole concept, makes me think about it very strongly. Any movie that can make me think about my own mind, and how it views the world, and how I react to other people, and especially the way I approach the game of life and all games in general, is extremely thought provoking. It's easy to see why this movie was not well received at first, and maybe even now, because frankly, it's way over the average person's head imo, and they don't want to invest the time to understand it. I think it is worth the time, and besides that, some of the movie is very very funny and never stops entertaining with some superb violence. I like "Revolver", it's a movie I think I can watch over and over again, and I hope Ritchie comes out with a definitive director's cut, instead of one cut for the Brits and another for Americans. At least release the movie with both versions, since there are some pretty big differences. That will probably never happen, unless this becomes another DVD and internet sensation, and I have my doubts about that. I like Guy Ritchie, I thnk he's a very intelligent and stylized film director, kind of a British Tarantino to a certain degree. Not an easy movie to comprehend, but I believe the viewer has a lot to learn from the concepts explored and the theory behind it all.

Indyrod

Postby Indyrod on Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:43 pm

Awake

Hayden Christensen turns in a very good performance as a young and rich tycoon, that needs a heart transplant very bad. Jessica Alba is also very good as his fiance, of which his domineering Mother (Lena Olin) does not approve. The whole movie pretty much takes place in a hospital surgery room and Hayden's mind. Hayden's character is being operated on for the heart transplant, and he can hear and feel everything going on. When he overhears a plot to kill him, the thriller kicks into gear and a great reveal. As he tries to figure out what's going on in his mind, the movie follows his thoughts. Very well made movie, with a superior commentary too. Highly recommended.

Magnum Force

I've been revisting the Dirty Harry movies with their recent re-release, and I didn't like MF in the theaters when I first watched it. But now, I think I was wrong, it holds up as a pretty damn good sequel. These new editions have some great commentaries and extras. I'm glad I didn't buy the whole set and stuck to just buying the original classic movie. It's still so much better than any of it's sequels, and I love the new edition with all the extras.

Indyrod

Postby Indyrod on Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:45 pm

No Direction Home: Bob Dylan

Directed by Martin Scorsese, this is the best Bob Dylan documentary you are probably ever going to see. A little under four hours, broken into two parts, the movie covers pretty much all of Dylan's career with plenty of music, and conversations with Dylan. I've recently gotten back into Bob Dylan music, and it's pretty hard not to like it, since you most likely know about every hit song and the words. With Scorsese's touch, this rises above most music oriented documentaries by leaps and bounds, and the soundtrack is Dylan's own recordings. This is a good companion piece to the recently released "I'm Not There" movie, which doesn't use Dylan's voice, except on a couple of pieces. The more I listen to Dylan, the more I am convinced he is the best songwriter of the past 40+ years by far.

Don't Look Back

Also got this great documentary of Dylan's British tour in the sixties from the library. Haven't seen it for several years, and it's also a very entertaining look at early Dylan. Scenes from this were also used in "No Direction Home" and recreated in "I'm Not There".

Indyrod

Postby Fred on Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:52 am

Don't know if anyone seen the movie "Children of Man" but i watched it last saterday when it was on tv and i was happy surprised to hear ITCOTCK in these scene

Also in a later shot the well know Pinik Floyd Pig is hanging between the chimneys.
A part from these two nice surprises it a great movie and i highly recommend it when you haven't seen it.

Fred
He who tries to be his own teacher
becomes his favorite student.
Fred
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby RYG on Thu Oct 14, 2010 4:47 pm

Just borrowed a short film from the local library made in 1963 called "La Jette". It's a very strange "movie" and is worth the time to see (if you're curious). It only lasts 27 minutes and although it seems prozaic at first, there is a bit of trickery to watch for. Has anyone else had a chance to see this ? I'd be curious to know what you think.
My favorite movies (right now):
"Lost In Translation", "Mulholland Drive", "Pulp Fiction", "Sin City", "Buffalo '66", "Ghost World", "Apocolypse Now (Redux)", "Donnie Darko", "Raising Arizona", "Shawshank Redemption"
RYG
ProjeKction Freak

Postby vrooom on Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:36 pm

RYG wrote:Just borrowed a short film from the local library made in 1963 called "La Jette". It's a very strange "movie" and is worth the time to see (if you're curious). It only lasts 27 minutes and although it seems prozaic at first, there is a bit of trickery to watch for. Has anyone else had a chance to see this ? I'd be curious to know what you think.

Yes, I have seen it. It is one for the cerebral viewer. It's not so much a movie more a series of still photographic images, if I recall correctly (I saw it in the mid-90s). I thought it was an interesting piece but its reputation as being ground-breaking kind of left me let down a little as I was expecting more. Did you know that this movie was the direct inspiration for Terry Gilliam's "12 Monkeys"? Well you do now! :D
vrooom
Button Pusher

Postby RYG on Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:07 pm

Yes, I had heard "12 Monkees" was inspired by it. The trick, or the twist, of the "movie" was the 2 seconds of movement (although very subtle) that occurs about 2/3 of the way through. I don't know about anyone else, but to me, it was a bit jarring and for some reason the movie has stuck with me over the past few weeks. Since you didn't mention it, maybe you missed that part. Anyway, I've been thinking that maybe the movie, "The Time Traveller's Wife", was supposed to be the other side of the time-travelling that's seen in "La Jette", that is, the part with the girl, as opposed to the part with the experimenters.
My favorite movies (right now):
"Lost In Translation", "Mulholland Drive", "Pulp Fiction", "Sin City", "Buffalo '66", "Ghost World", "Apocolypse Now (Redux)", "Donnie Darko", "Raising Arizona", "Shawshank Redemption"
RYG
ProjeKction Freak

Postby Krimzep on Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:24 pm

RYG wrote:Yes, I had heard "12 Monkees" was inspired by it. The trick, or the twist, of the "movie" was the 2 seconds of movement (although very subtle) that occurs about 2/3 of the way through. I don't know about anyone else, but to me, it was a bit jarring and for some reason the movie has stuck with me over the past few weeks. Since you didn't mention it, maybe you missed that part. Anyway, I've been thinking that maybe the movie, "The Time Traveller's Wife", was supposed to be the other side of the time-travelling that's seen in "La Jette", that is, the part with the girl, as opposed to the part with the experimenters.

the time travelers wife seems like a ripoff of an episode from the new outer limits series, the main character ( Jon cryer of two and a half men) is taken from his time and then reappears some years later, and while he has not changed his wife has moved on and this continues throughout the episode until the aliens send him back to his original time frame.

I hate when they try an make a movie out of old episodic tv shows with out much of a premise.
Krimzep
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby Krimzep on Wed Dec 30, 2015 7:12 am

The New Star Wars movie wasn't all that awesome. As a fan who loves movies I felt my money wasn't wasted but I also do not feel the need or desire to see it again the way I did with the others.
Krimzep
ProjeKction Godlike

Previous

Return to Errata