free counter with statistics
:: ProjeKction - King Crimson NET :: • View topic - "Starless" - What are Fripp's and other's thoughts

"Starless" - What are Fripp's and other's thoughts

Post all your thoughts on King Crimson albums here.

Postby vrooom on Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:01 pm

Yup - that sounds about right...

Darren
vrooom
Button Pusher

Postby JDV72 on Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:13 am

evktalo wrote:I think I recall from Sid Smith's In the Court of King Crimson, that the first four minutes (the "song" section) were ready by the time they were putting together Starless & Bible Black.

I'm certainly glad they didn't put it on SABB. The missing music aside, the lyrics really needed tuning even during its concert run. Wetton blows the "ice blue, silver sky" line (the song's lyrical high point, IMHO) right out of the gate. Cat's cutting shows, indeed.

On the other hand, I am a Crim heretic who has not heard the full studio version of "Starless". (I base my opinions on the USA, Cirkus and Concise versions. I do have the EG CD of Red, but have not listened to it. Same with 21st Guide One, Collector's One, thrakattak, Roar of P4, etc. etc. etc.)
JDV72
ProjeKction Regular

Postby vrooom on Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:49 am

Well according to Wetton in a 1979 interview on YouTube, the song part of "Starless" was presented to Fripp & Bruford, who didn't much care for it at the time of recording S&BB. However, when they decided to pull together some more material for the following tour and "Red", Fripp supposedly said something like: "Where's that song you had John?"

The link to that Wetton video interview is in the ProjeKction TVsection.

Darren
vrooom
Button Pusher

Previous

Return to The Albums