free counter with statistics
:: ProjeKction - King Crimson NET :: • View topic - Level 5 - Limted Edition Tour EP (2001) PART TWO

Level 5 - Limted Edition Tour EP (2001) PART TWO

Post all your thoughts on King Crimson albums here.

Re: Level 5 - Limted Edition Tour EP (2001) PART TWO

Postby Indyrod on Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:42 pm

bongo, you have me confused as hell. The LEVEL FIVE EP was sold on the 2001 tour, a numbered edition which I am proud to own from the show I saw on that tour. I agree, this has some of the best live versions of the new material (at that time), you are likely to find. What this has to do with anything having to do with 2008 is beyond me. :shock:
Everyone thinks I'm psychotic, except for my friends deep inside the earth.

de gustibus non est disputandum
Indyrod
Permanently Temporary ProjeKction Admin

Postby Geno on Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:12 pm

I believe it was re-pressed in 2008.
There's just three things in my life that I regret
There's everything I've done, everything I'm doing
And what I haven't done yet
Geno
ProjeKction Veteran

Postby bongo on Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:52 am

Geno wrote:I believe it was re-pressed in 2008.

what he said!

this e.p. becomes more endearing to me each listen. hearing early impressions of dangerous curves and level five is pretty cool! there is an energy there that is not on later versions. it is sort of comparable to hearing demos of songs which leak, then hearing the later version, and the demo version, though not as "polished" has more of an edge. it is the edge that makes it so endearing.
"get along little doggy."
bongo
ProjeKction Champion

Postby Yorkshire Square on Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:01 pm

The Level Five EP sits up there with the Vrooom EP as classic modern Crim. Whilst their successors, TPTB and Thrak, have their own merits, the two EPs are how I like my Crim; short, brutal and unpolished!

Whilst the CD has brought us certain benefits in terms of clarity and improved handling over vinyl, I think that the larger capacity has done rock music in particular no favours. Too many bands seem to feel obliged to fill the whole 80 minutes when in fact they may have only 35-45 of top quality material. Stop giving me filler!!
I tell you it's no fun
Being on Proje-e-ekshun
Yorkshire Square
ProjeKction Veteran

Postby vrooom on Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:43 pm

The ideal album length is somewhere between 37 and 42 minutes...
vrooom
Button Pusher

Postby MarkSullivan on Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:54 am

vrooom wrote:The ideal album length is somewhere between 37 and 42 minutes...

Yep. I think that's equally true of other musical styles. In jazz, no one has made anything that beats those classic Blue Note albums, just the way they were released originally: no alternate takes or any of those "extras."
There's a reason why live sets have traditionally been 45 minutes. After that listener fatigue usually starts to set in.
MarkSullivan
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby crimcinnaman on Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:03 pm

Found on the original pre-Lockedown thread Level 5 - Limted Edition Tour EP (2001)
On Tue Sep 07, 2004 bongo wrote:
interesting. i did not know these songs existed (or at least were recorded/released in any form) before "power to believe".

-bongo

The disc outright rocks!

What the hell took you so long to get it?

-c~man
"My Child is an Honor Student
My President is a Moron"
crimcinnaman
ProjeKction Champion

Postby vrooom on Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:54 pm

I just want to add Pat Mastelotto's take on the EP (yes, back in the good old days people from the band actually did contact me, but now I am persona non grata).

p@ wrote:While lurking the site a few months ago I saw the post asking about the origins of the Level 5 CD, and it got me so curious that I pulled out my Level 5 CD (# 4740 as signed, like most of them, on the crim tour buss by MJK).

And here is what I know:

"Curves" was mixed by Munyon and me (mostly Munyon) and was made from a composite of three performances at the 12th and Porter club in Nashville-yes i know the liner notes say 328 in Nashville but I think those shows were later- i don't remember the dates but the last show was on Fathers day (listen close in the intro and you can hear someone yell "Happy Father's Ade" to the father of six).
FYI- I used two different RF performances, aligned from the tail, so what you get is some strange discords because he played the arrangement different each night (I ducked the tonality that sounded duff to my tin ears).

"Level 5" and "TCOL" are from one of the last west coast gigs during the TOOL tour and they were mixed live by Paul DeVilliers. PDV was an old pal of mine that has worked with Yes and Stevie Wonder among others before co-producing Mr Mister's Broken Wings/Kyrie record before retiring and become a well known ski instructor.
I had asked PDV to come out of retirement to help rescue us when Crimson was going thru a FOH mixer crisis in 2001 (?) . Paul is brutally opinionated and has strong ideas about mixing: he starts with the arrangements and instrument sound (crap in crap out) - he could feel my digital drum pain and help me reintroduce more acoustic drums, got RF a new signal path, helped Trey find an ampsound, and had the smarts to mostly leave Ade alone . PDV was just the man we needed then to help direct us into carving our frequencies since all 4 Crims had such overlapping full range of sounds. You also may notice Paul's mixes are pretty much mono as Paul's approach to live sound is more about depth than width. Paul's comments helped the later work with Greg Dean and Machine.

"Virtual Circle" was another Pat and Bill mix , done in Bill's apartment, made from those same 12th and Porter shows. It was an attempt to help 'find form from a series of nice but unstructured ideas'. It runs on a little long but hey that's me trying to cram it all in, what can I say . The little bit of ass wind linkage at the end is from a V Drum Vector that I had played in Japan that David Singleton later added.

"Thrush" is also Paul DeVillier FOH board mix from the TOOL tour -FYI Paul only mixed Crimson for that one short tour, as I recall it started in Cincinnati and went on to join up with TOOL a week or two later at Red Rocks and ended with two nights in Mexico City after the TOOL southern California shows, so PDV only mixed about 20 shows. I know its confusing because the tour dates on the CD are NOT the shows that this record came from, but rather it's the tour dates we sold the L5 CDs on. . . and it was the tour when Greg Dean came in as FOH mixer and we finally, in my opinion, found our KRIMY2K Nuovometal sound.

The "bonus track" is another Bill and Pat apartment mix from the 12th and Porter shows. At the start when Ade says 'Bet I surprised you guys" and is referring to singing "Return to Stimuli (what became FaKcts o Life) on stage that night for the first time. . .Besides moving that intro stuff from other places this has very little editing since the main slab was a one off improv when Ade's rig went down. . .as I recall Ade had gear problems so I struck a pad and began to vector and Robert swished in and , as is often the case, one sound led to another and P3 had a little impromptu musical moment erupting with Ade joining towards the end and leading us into Circkle.
--

and- somebody asked if I have ever listened to Jamie Muir?
yes I worshiped at the Alter of Jamie and was even lucky enough to get the Dart Drug CD when I saw Derrick Bailey with Joey Barron and John Zorn in NYC (i stayed in NYC a couple days after the Crimson Beacon gig just to get to see this show at the TONIC).
vrooom
Button Pusher

Postby Indyrod on Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:17 pm

crimcinnaman wrote:Found on the original pre-Lockedown thread Level 5 - Limted Edition Tour EP (2001)
On Tue Sep 07, 2004 bongo wrote:
interesting. i did not know these songs existed (or at least were recorded/released in any form) before "power to believe".

-bongo

The disc outright rocks!

What the hell took you so long to get it?

-c~man

That's kinda what I was trying to say. Bongo must have been in hibernation for 4 years.
Everyone thinks I'm psychotic, except for my friends deep inside the earth.

de gustibus non est disputandum
Indyrod
Permanently Temporary ProjeKction Admin

Postby vrooom on Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:08 pm

Bongo is one of those special people...
vrooom
Button Pusher

PreviousNext

Return to The Albums