free counter with statistics
:: ProjeKction - King Crimson NET :: • View topic - Japanese mini-LP and conterfeit from Russia

Japanese mini-LP and conterfeit from Russia

Post all your thoughts on King Crimson albums here.

Japanese mini-LP and conterfeit from Russia

Postby fredhammersmith333 on Wed Dec 20, 2006 2:42 pm

After listening to Frame By Frame a million times (and after upgrading my sound system), I'm more than due for a change of King Crimson set of records and for a more modern mastering.

I was considering buying the Japanese re-masterings from 2006 after reading a review on http://www.amazon.com/Court-Crimson-King/dp/B000E1KN5W/sr=1-3/qid=1166621601/ref=pd_bbs_sr_3/002-0162678-0756053?ie=UTF8&s=music and bid on some of it on E-Bay. I won two so-called Japanese mini-LP: Red and Starless, and was about to bid on In The Court. Then I read a frighful notice from an e-bay seller, telling that there were many russian counterfeits from Japanese mini-LP. And I discovered that my seller, while claiming to be based in USA, was in fact based in Russia. In the feeb-backs from buyers for that seller (99.3% positive), they were some claims about russian bootlegs...

My question is many-fold:
- are Japanese versions really an upgrade over DGM releases, as far as sound is concerned (I do not care really that much about the art cover)
- how can I recognize a false Japanse mini-LP from a true one?
- is there a list of dishonest e-bay seller somewhere ???

Thanks for answering this, I did not pay my e-bay seller yet... and sorry if my English syntax is no good (not my 1st language)
fredhammersmith333

Postby vrooom on Wed Dec 20, 2006 2:54 pm

Hi Fred,

I've had a few Japanese remasters over my time and while the sound quality has always been good, I tend to think that the quality of the mini-LP releases have declined over the years. In the past, the mini-LP release (not just KC) were made from rigid paperboard and the last few items I bought were a little flimsy. In terms of sound quality are they better? I have not done any tests on such discs, but I believe that the audio improvement may be psychosomatic and directly exponential with the amount of money you've paid for them. :D

How can you recognise a fake? This is a tough question - the easiest clue is that fakers often make spelling mistakes or other errors in the printing. Sometimes they might use the wrong colours to print the OBI-strip, for example. However, the Russian bootleggers have become increasingly sophisticated over the years and the quality of these fakes are impressive.

Is there a list of fraudulent ebayers? Not that I know of and even if there was it would be redundant because as soon as the bootlegger gets exposed, you can bet he'd just start another eBay account.

My advice would probably not to buy off eBay unless you really trust the seller. Anyone who says that they are from one place and their account is actually registered elsewhere should be avoided at all costs. If you must buy these items, get them from an official source such as http://www.cdjapan.co.jp or http://www.eil.com.

Hope this is helpful,

Darren
vrooom
Button Pusher

Postby Indyrod on Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:51 pm

Fred, are you also fredhammersmith? We have fredhammersmith AND fredhammersmith333 with different e-mail addresses. I thought I would get rid of the one you don't intend to use, unless there really are two of you. :?
Everyone thinks I'm psychotic, except for my friends deep inside the earth.

de gustibus non est disputandum
Indyrod
Permanently Temporary ProjeKction Admin

Postby fredhammersmith333 on Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:27 pm

I'm both. It took a long while before I got a confirmation on the 1st of the 2, so I tought there had been a problem.
Let's erase 333.
fredhammersmith333

Postby Indyrod on Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:32 pm

That's ok, we'll leave it alone. If I delete the 333, it will take you out of this thread, which would probably not be a good idea. Nevermind, we know they are both you. :D
Everyone thinks I'm psychotic, except for my friends deep inside the earth.

de gustibus non est disputandum
Indyrod
Permanently Temporary ProjeKction Admin

Postby fredhammersmith333 on Thu Jan 11, 2007 4:43 pm

OK, i received my 2 mini-lp japanese albums, directly from russia (was supposed to come from USA) :?

the packaging is superb, except maybe for a very light default in the inner sleeve of Starless...

now, if i want to know if they are genuine or just well-made copies (and before giving my feed-back to e-bay), i'd like to make a test, and i need some help for this:

if u own a mini-lp japanese copy of Starless or Red, would you be willing to compare CRC values of the tracks, using EAC? I guess this test would tell us if my albums are genuine or not...

Thanks!
fredhammersmith333

Postby vrooom on Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:08 pm

I have both of those mini-LP CDs from the UK. Will my CRC values be any good for you or are you looking specifically for Jap ones?

Darren
vrooom
Button Pusher

Postby fredhammersmith333 on Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:52 pm

I think it needs to come from the same mastering plant. But maybe some knowledgable person can tell us what he thinks because I'm no expert.
fredhammersmith333

Postby fredhammersmith333 on Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:18 pm

Then again, maybe we can try it. Interesting test.
fredhammersmith333

Postby JerryWS on Fri Nov 23, 2007 2:37 am

The DGM ones are as good as the Japan imports as far as I'm concered and I have a good system. 8) Always check to see if the DMG logo is on back of the release as most bootlegs don't have this so I've heard. :)
JerryWS
ProjeKction Regular

Next

Return to The Albums