free counter with statistics
:: ProjeKction - King Crimson NET :: • View topic - Condensed King Crimson (2006)

Condensed King Crimson (2006)

Post all your thoughts on King Crimson albums here.

Condensed King Crimson (2006)

Postby RYG on Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:44 pm

Been kicking around the idea of getting this one, since I don't have either of the new 4-disk boxed sets and since it's a fairly good price for two disks. My question is this: Are the edited tracks on this set, the same edits (and at the same spots) as were on the Essential Boxed set from 1991 ? I ask because the editied/abridged songs seem to be the same ones that were edited/abridged back then.

Aside from getting three of the songs from the first album from the original source tapes, the single version of "Cat Food", and the post-1984 songs (that weren't on Essential, but I have in other places), there doesn't seem to be a very compelling reason to get this (not that even these reasons are compelling enough).

This would be a great CD to have along while driving but for not much else. Does anyone have this ?
My favorite movies (right now):
"Lost In Translation", "Mulholland Drive", "Pulp Fiction", "Sin City", "Buffalo '66", "Ghost World", "Apocolypse Now (Redux)", "Donnie Darko", "Raising Arizona", "Shawshank Redemption"
RYG
ProjeKction Freak

Postby octopus92 on Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:22 pm

Finally, as a mad completist, I've bought this one (just because I didn't have the single version of "Dinosaur"... :roll: )
It's a fine, good compilation I must admit with nearly 79'59" of music for each CD, which is rare with that kind of best-of...
In my humble opinion, I missed "The night watch" a lot and it is the only great omission for this set...
Nothing from "Lizard" and "Construkction of light"... :(
About the edits or single version :
- "In the court..." is 7'16" and contains the March of Puppets and the reprise
- "Cat food" is 2'47" and I suppose the same as on the new Poseidon DGM edition
- "Cadence and cascade" is complete
- "Sailor's tale" is 7'02" : why they say it is abridged is a great mystery... :?:
- "Larks tongues Part One" is 6'41" : they erased the intro with the Kalimba and the part where Jamie play the drums like a mad (a solo drums in the song...) ; in fact they put it in the form the group played it live when they were a quartet ; the coda is still here...
- "Fracture" is 10'05" : very good edit, the essential is here...
- "Starless" is 4'37" : always that same ballad version... :evil:
- "Sleepless" is 4'36" : good edit...
- "Coda : Marine 475" is 2'05" : don't know the difference with complete track
- "Dinosaur" is the single track version (5'18")
- "Happy with what...." is 3'44" and from the EP version

Well, it's a shame about the "Starless" version but I think the LTIA-Part One is interesting even if it's lacking Jamie's craziness... :)
octopus92
ProjeKction Connoisseur

Postby Krimzep on Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:25 am

octopus92 wrote:Finally, as a mad completist, I've bought this one (just because I didn't have the single version of "Dinosaur"... :roll: )
It's a fine, good compilation I must admit with nearly 79'59" of music for each CD, which is rare with that kind of best-of...
In my humble opinion, I missed "The night watch" a lot and it is the only great omission for this set...
Nothing from "Lizard" and "Construkction of light"... :(
About the edits or single version :
- "In the court..." is 7'16" and contains the March of Puppets and the reprise
- "Cat food" is 2'47" and I suppose the same as on the new Poseidon DGM edition
- "Cadence and cascade" is complete
- "Sailor's tale" is 7'02" : why they say it is abridged is a great mystery... :?:
- "Larks tongues Part One" is 6'41" : they erased the intro with the Kalimba and the part where Jamie play the drums like a mad (a solo drums in the song...) ; in fact they put it in the form the group played it live when they were a quartet ; the coda is still here...
- "Fracture" is 10'05" : very good edit, the essential is here...
- "Starless" is 4'37" : always that same ballad version... :evil:
- "Sleepless" is 4'36" : good edit...
- "Coda : Marine 475" is 2'05" : don't know the difference with complete track
- "Dinosaur" is the single track version (5'18")
- "Happy with what...." is 3'44" and from the EP version

Well, it's a shame about the "Starless" version but I think the LTIA-Part One is interesting even if it's lacking Jamie's craziness... :)

the intro is the best part!

the little plinking sounds really sets you for the rest .
Krimzep
ProjeKction Godlike

Return to The Albums