free counter with statistics
:: ProjeKction - King Crimson NET :: • View topic - The Collectable King Crimson: Volume One

The Collectable King Crimson: Volume One

Post all your thoughts on King Crimson albums here.

The Collectable King Crimson: Volume One

Postby Indyrod on Sat Oct 07, 2006 8:17 pm

Last night I listened to both the "Live in Asbury Park" and the MAINZ albums. And I have to say, MAINZ is still one of the best live albums Crimson has released, and now, "Live in Asbury Park" is among the greatest. I like this version a lot better than USA, it just sounds meaner and nastier, and getting the full versions without overdubs is sensational. A couple things I noticed right off the bat, is the tempo of "Lament", which makes this a one of a kind version to me. It's much more a rock 'n' roll jazzy song, in this up tempo version, and it pretty much kicks ass. The "Asbury Park" improv is still the king of the hill to me, and it has never sounded better than on this recording. And "Exiles" is simply one of the most beautiful songs ever recorded by Crimson, and this version is a contender for the best ever. This version of "Fracture" is much different to me, than any other recorded. Almost a jazz funky rendition, that I have always loved since I listened to USA. "Starless" is good, and I seem to be warming up to it more, than I initially did with USA. And getting the complete "Easy Money" is a goldmine. LTIA-2 and 21st Century Schizoid are both in top form, showing the band at its absolute best, and having a lot of fun. Too bad, it will be one of their last shows ever of the LTIA lineup.

The only thing I don't like about this release, is the long long bits of silence between some of the tracks. Some of it is applause, but on a couple of songs, you begin to wonder if something is wrong with the disc. I can overlook that for the sheer energy of my favorite band on fire, but hell, you would think they could have edited out all that silence. All in all, this is absolutely one of, if not my favorite live recording of King Crimson, and well worth the wait to have as a proper REAL disc. USA-2 is finally here!!!!!!!!! :D
Everyone thinks I'm psychotic, except for my friends deep inside the earth.

de gustibus non est disputandum
Indyrod
Permanently Temporary ProjeKction Admin

Postby vrooom on Sat Oct 07, 2006 10:02 pm

I hate you for making me want to buy this when my head says no.

Darren
vrooom
Button Pusher

Postby Krimzep on Sat Oct 07, 2006 10:39 pm

vrooom wrote:I hate you for making me want to buy this when my head says no.

Darren

me too.
Krimzep
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby The Crimson Fox on Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:04 pm

Yep me aswell!!... Could I borrow your copy? :lol: :lol: :lol:
The Crimson Fox
ProjeKction Savant

Postby Indyrod on Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:24 pm

The Crimson Fox wrote:Yep me aswell!!... Could I borrow your copy? :lol: :lol: :lol:

You'll have to wait until DGM sends me a replacement, with the right labels on the discs. :?

btw, the liner notes for the Asbury Park disc, are very interesting.

Indyrod

Postby The Crimson Fox on Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:31 pm

Indyrod wrote:
The Crimson Fox wrote:Yep me aswell!!... Could I borrow your copy? :lol: :lol: :lol:

You'll have to wait until DGM sends me a replacement, with the right labels on the discs. :?

btw, the liner notes for the Asbury Park disc, are very interesting.

I was in a record shop in Manchester today and had this beauty in my giant palms... I couldnt bring myself to buy it... although I was insanely tempted!!! I WONT BE PART OF FRIPP'S LIES AND DECEPTION!! I'll spend it on a bag of socks, a tin of processed peas and a slipper or something worthwhile:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Saying that... I might do one day though.... On the 12th of never :lol: :lol: :lol:
The Crimson Fox
ProjeKction Savant

Postby Owen on Sun Oct 08, 2006 8:47 am

Indyrod wrote:the liner notes for the Asbury Park disc, are very interesting.

Hence the reason I'm not at all concerned about duplicity in my collection with the Asbury Park set.

The lack of liner notes is the only thing I dislike about DLing from DGM Live... not that I'm complaining mind you.

Can't wait to get mine... though it still hasn't shipped (from Amazon) yet.

O!
The Point Moot one minute bass solos project is at http://pointmootsolo.bandcamp.com/
Moot-tube: http://www.youtube.com/user/pointmoot
The perfect holiday destination: http://point-moot.blogspot.com
Musicommentary: http://mootmobile.blogspot.com
Owen
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby Indyrod on Sun Oct 08, 2006 5:13 pm

Owen wrote:Can't wait to get mine... though it still hasn't shipped (from Amazon) yet.

O!

Good luck with Amazon, especially if you get copies with the labels reversed. I may bitch about DGM, but I would rather work with them correcting a problem, than I would Amazon. Same goes with Burning Shed and the "Stupid Dream" track problem.

Indyrod

Postby diderot on Mon Oct 09, 2006 3:14 pm

For me it's almost a complete duplicity, as I have Mainz from the CC and Asbury Park from DGMLive.

If I knew they intended to release this concert I'd buy another one...

Anyway I'd buy this for the art work and liner notes.

PS: Indeed a great show. The extended versions (in fact original versions) of Asbury Park and Easy Money worth the price of the disc and could be release as a single. :D
Diderot
diderot
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby Riverman on Mon Oct 09, 2006 5:56 pm

Indyrod wrote:"Live in Asbury Park" is among the greatest. I like this version a lot better than USA, it just sounds meaner and nastier, and getting the full versions without overdubs is sensational.

This recording is what USA should have been in the first place.

The only thing I don't like about this release, is the long long bits of silence between some of the tracks. Some of it is applause, but on a couple of songs, you begin to wonder if something is wrong with the disc. I can overlook that for the sheer energy of my favorite band on fire, but hell, you would think they could have edited out all that silence.

You've been complaining for years about wanting to hear the whole show unedited, and now you're complaining that it wasn't edited??
The sound of one hand clapping is the same as the sound of a tree falling when no one's around to hear it.
Riverman
ProjeKction Godlike

Next

Return to The Albums