free counter with statistics
:: ProjeKction - King Crimson NET :: • View topic - Level 5 - Limted Edition Tour EP (2001)

Level 5 - Limted Edition Tour EP (2001)

Post all your thoughts on King Crimson albums here.

Postby Fred Zappelin on Mon May 03, 2004 10:59 pm

I too bought this CD on the Level 5 tour (12-4 Buffalo). The music that night was totally new to me, so I had to get it. That show and CD made me want everything KC.

The only thing I don't like about it is the lack of track info, as in what date/city? All it says at the DGM site is that it was recorded on the summer tour when they opened for Tool.
User avatar
Fred Zappelin
ProjeKction Connoisseur
 
Posts: 161
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2003 2:31 am
Location: neither here nor there

Postby The Crimson Avenger on Mon May 03, 2004 11:40 pm

Fred Zappelin wrote:I too bought this CD on the Level 5 tour (12-4 Buffalo). The music that night was totally new to me, so I had to get it. That show and CD made me want everything KC.


Hey, I was at the Buffalo show, as well! They were refusing to sell the L5 disc at first because the front inserts hadn't arrived, but they eventually caved, and sold them for a couple bucks off, with a promise to sent the insterts later. Another DGM commitment reneged upon.

I thought the Buffalo show had a long stretch of The Magic, in the Virtuous Circle>LTIA IV>Thrush sequence. Circle was new to me, and Pat's percussion ping-ponging around the soundstage was mesmerizing. I believe that Ade was havine equipment problems during that tune, so we got a slightly off-kilter and extra-groovy version. LTIA screamed, and according to Trey's diary, they gave Bruvver the Frippster some extra solo space in the first section of Thrush. He *irradiated* the auditorium. I saw the subsequent shows in Boston (3rd row center :lol: ) and New Haven (front row, DFC :shock: ) and they never quite reached the peak that happened at SUNY.

Fred Zappelin wrote: The only thing I don't like about it is the lack of track info, as in what date/city? All it says at the DGM site is that it was recorded on the summer tour when they opened for Tool.


Nothing new there. RF is almost vengeful about revealing information of what might be deemed a bootleg nature.

BTW, at the KC Live Website, the Vargan, a fiendish live KC collector, whom I broke bread with at the 2000 Nashville shows, has dissected Thrakattack and the Jazz Cafe Suite. Turns out a minute or so of Thrakattack comes from the epic Rochester show I was privilieged to attend.

In closing, I listened to the L5 CD over the weekend. I stand by my earlier statement about its uneasy place in the catalog, but taken alone, on its own merits, IT ROCKS!

-TCA
User avatar
The Crimson Avenger
ProjeKction Guru
 
Posts: 633
Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2003 3:44 pm
Location: Deadwood, SD, USA

Postby Dog_none on Tue May 04, 2004 3:44 am

The Crimson Avenger wrote:I saw the subsequent shows in Boston (3rd row center :lol: ) and New Haven (front row, DFC :shock: ) and they never quite reached the peak that happened at SUNY.


I was at both of those shows! Boston I was in the 12th or 13th row, just off of center. New Haven, 3rd row DFC, so I probably saw the back of your head!

I thought Boston was the best of the Level 5 shows I attended. I thought the performance was tight and the sound was awesome. Plus it was my first exposure to the new material.

New Haven, on the other hand, is easily my least favorite Crimson concert experience. I thought the performance was sub-par (for them), and the sound was absolutely terrible. I don't know if it was because of where I say, but the sound was just a dead mush.

I also caught the Philly show, which was good, but not spectacular by Crimson standards.
I was just now thinking about the Jaws Of Life
how they chew you up and spit you right
back into the frying pan
User avatar
Dog_none
Projizzle Dizzle Nizzle
 
Posts: 1661
Joined: Wed Feb 12, 2003 1:33 am
Location: a whole new kind of delirium

Postby Fred Zappelin on Wed May 05, 2004 12:04 am

The Crimson Avenger wrote:
Fred Zappelin wrote:I too bought this CD on the Level 5 tour (12-4 Buffalo). The music that night was totally new to me, so I had to get it. That show and CD made me want everything KC.


Hey, I was at the Buffalo show, as well! They were refusing to sell the L5 disc at first because the front inserts hadn't arrived, but they eventually caved, and sold them for a couple bucks off, with a promise to sent the insterts later. Another DGM commitment reneged upon.

I thought the Buffalo show had a long stretch of The Magic, in the Virtuous Circle>LTIA IV>Thrush sequence. Circle was new to me, and Pat's percussion ping-ponging around the soundstage was mesmerizing. I believe that Ade was havine equipment problems during that tune, so we got a slightly off-kilter and extra-groovy version. LTIA screamed, and according to Trey's diary, they gave Bruvver the Frippster some extra solo space in the first section of Thrush. He *irradiated* the auditorium. I saw the subsequent shows in Boston (3rd row center :lol: ) and New Haven (front row, DFC :shock: ) and they never quite reached the peak that happened at SUNY.

Fred Zappelin wrote: The only thing I don't like about it is the lack of track info, as in what date/city? All it says at the DGM site is that it was recorded on the summer tour when they opened for Tool.


Nothing new there. RF is almost vengeful about revealing information of what might be deemed a bootleg nature.

BTW, at the KC Live Website, the Vargan, a fiendish live KC collector, whom I broke bread with at the 2000 Nashville shows, has dissected Thrakattack and the Jazz Cafe Suite. Turns out a minute or so of Thrakattack comes from the epic Rochester show I was privilieged to attend.

In closing, I listened to the L5 CD over the weekend. I stand by my earlier statement about its uneasy place in the catalog, but taken alone, on its own merits, IT ROCKS!

-TCA


Weird, I had no problem buying L5 at the Buff show. Mine is in the 1500's, it had the insert. I forget what I paid for it. Good thing I got there early. Worst experience ever waiting to get in. Usally it's jam-bandsthat play concerts at that theater. Trey ripped on the staff and jack-asses with the camcorders pretty good in his diary. After now hearing "Lights Please" and the incident at the end of P2 "Live Groove", I can't believe Fripp didn't stop the show and demand it handed up. I just remember Adrian saying something to the guys.

The show was great, Iwas a little bummed that there wasn't any Elephant Talk or Thela Hun Ginjeet though. That's about all I was familiar with at the time, but I was blown away by the new stuff.
As far as the lack of track info on Level 5, it just surprised me since there is complete info on the 3-disc HC, and all the other non-club live releases.
I know they played Buffalo & Rochester in '95, and Darien Lake(Horde) in '96. Just wasn't aware of them or how great they were. I could have went to Horde, but didn't want to go with friends who were into Blues Traveler & Rusted Root. So now I'm totally into them and last year there was no WNY show. Figures. Should have made the trip to Kingston, I know.
User avatar
Fred Zappelin
ProjeKction Connoisseur
 
Posts: 161
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2003 2:31 am
Location: neither here nor there

Postby bongo on Wed Sep 08, 2004 5:31 am

interesting. i did not know these songs existed (or at least were recorded/released in any form) before "power to believe".

-bongo
"get along little doggy."
bongo
ProjeKction Champion
 
Posts: 114
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2004 6:12 am
Location: western north carolina

Level 5

Postby Guest on Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:13 pm

Excuse my ignorancee; I should know this but I'll have to ask as I listen to all Krimson stuff in the car and mostly never know the names of the tunes. Are the tunes on Level 5 all instrumentals? :?:
Guest
 

Postby vrooom on Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:18 pm

The only vocal track on the Level 5 EP is The ConstruKction of Light.


Darren
User avatar
vrooom
Button Pusher
 
Posts: 6801
Joined: Tue Feb 11, 2003 12:01 pm
Location: UK

Odds and ends... Dangerous Curves

Postby oveh on Sat May 13, 2006 12:28 pm

Guys,


by listening to different versions of "Dangerous Curves" I find that KC uses different sampled voices and comments. On Level Five it's "Turn the lights down please, In fact turn them off". Also a woman voice and something about " ...16 years".

On the 2003 config they used other sampled things.

Question:
Is it Ade's voices that says "Turn the lights down please, In fact turn them off" etc.
The woman voice, what's said, and by whom? Is it from a movie or something?
Who's behind the voices on this song from the 2003 tour?


Anyone?

Thanks in advance!


Cheers,

Ove
The only thing that stops God sending a second Flood is that the first one was useless.
User avatar
oveh
ProjeKction Connoisseur
 
Posts: 193
Joined: Wed May 19, 2004 8:39 am
Location: Stavanger, Norway

Re: Odds and ends... Dangerous Curves

Postby Riverman on Sat May 13, 2006 3:53 pm

oveh wrote:Is it Ade's voices that says "Turn the lights down please, In fact turn them off" etc.

Sounds like it to me. Actually I've always thought he was saying that onstage as they started (I think the song was supposed to start in blackness and maybe the light guy didn't realize they were coming on to play).

The woman voice, what's said, and by whom? Is it from a movie or something?
Who's behind the voices on this song from the 2003 tour?

I'm not completely sure, but I think I remember reading that Pat would collect sounds & samples while walking around various cities with a microphone/minidisc, so it could just be some random stranger he passed on the street. I definitely remember him saying that that was how he recorded the bells at the end, which weren't even supposed to be played during "Curves" except that he triggered the sample at the wrong time.
The sound of one hand clapping is the same as the sound of a tree falling when no one's around to hear it.
User avatar
Riverman
ProjeKction Godlike
 
Posts: 1534
Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2003 10:44 pm
Location: My own damn head

Re: Odds and ends... Dangerous Curves

Postby Owen on Sun May 14, 2006 7:21 am

Riverman wrote:
oveh wrote:Is it Ade's voices that says "Turn the lights down please, In fact turn them off" etc.

Sounds like it to me. Actually I've always thought he was saying that onstage as they started (I think the song was supposed to start in blackness and maybe the light guy didn't realize they were coming on to play).

I'm not completely sure, but I think I remember reading that Pat would collect sounds & samples while walking around various cities with a microphone/minidisc.


He also collects samples from performances "on the fly" so to speak.

Yes, the "lights down" quote is Adrian, from an announcement at one of the 12th & Porter warm up shows in 2001. On the EP version the quote is sampled and triggered by Pat. I do not know if this was done in real time or postproduction.

O!
The Point Moot one minute bass solos project is at http://pointmootsolo.bandcamp.com/
Moot-tube: http://www.youtube.com/user/pointmoot
The perfect holiday destination: http://point-moot.blogspot.com
Musicommentary: http://mootmobile.blogspot.com
User avatar
Owen
ProjeKction Godlike
 
Posts: 1990
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2003 7:28 am
Location: The lost civilisation of Thalan D'ow Nun-Dägh

PreviousNext

Return to The Albums

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron