free counter with statistics
:: ProjeKction - King Crimson NET :: • View topic - The Night Watch - Live in 1973 (1997)

The Night Watch - Live in 1973 (1997)

Post all your thoughts on King Crimson albums here.

The Night Watch - Live in 1973 (1997)

Postby vrooom on Sat Apr 17, 2004 11:43 am

<center>Image</center>

Your thoughts about this album to be posted here - so feel free to talk about your first listen, what you like about this album, what you don't like, etc.

Darren
vrooom
Button Pusher

Postby Sebastian Knight on Mon Apr 19, 2004 12:37 am

So, suppose you've already got "USA" and "The Great Deceiver". Do you really need another set from 73-74? Yes, you do. And suppose you've already got "Starless and Bible Black", and you've heard that many of the tracks were taken from this particular Concertgebouw concert. Do you still need "The Night Watch"? Yup.

This is one terrific record of the '73 band. This is the night they improvised "Trio" (featured here, of course), which should answer the basic question of whether or not the band was "on". My highlight (and one part that was NOT included on SABB) is the "Fright Watch -> Talking Drum -> Larks II" sequence from near the end of the concert. The Fright Watch is unusual in that Fripp uses a dying mellotron for spooky effect (turning a seeming disadvantage into an advantage), and this is absolutely my favorite TD/LTIA2 on record (with a nod to Central Park, which gets points for sheer adrenaline).
Sebastian Knight

Postby The Doc on Mon Apr 19, 2004 11:09 am

Sebastian Knight wrote:My highlight (and one part that was NOT included on SABB) is the "Fright Watch -> Talking Drum -> Larks II"

I'll second that. I had the bits of this that were broadcast on the BBC on cassette for ages before it finally died from overuse, so the album was a godsend. Perhaps a discussion for somewhere else is the differences between the broadcast and the album - eg 'the fright watch' was announced as 'The Mincer' and (from memory) 'We'll Let You Know' and 'the night Watch' were tacked on at the end as tracks from the album rather than as part of the broadcast - I wonder why?
The Doc

Postby vrooom on Mon Apr 19, 2004 6:32 pm

Of course this release is essential. If you like S&BB and want to hear where some of that stuff came from, then get this CD. You can hear those S&BB tracks without the audience sound tweaked.

Darren
vrooom
Button Pusher

Postby Gilesfan on Fri Apr 23, 2004 5:37 am

Simply flawless! :D
Gilesfan
Gilesfan
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby Indyrod on Fri Apr 23, 2004 4:29 pm

This magnificent commercial live release of the Larks era Crim was particularly memorable for me. I had been turned on by the "Discipline" material at the time, and was visiting the Larks era for the first time. After hearing "The Night Watch" and being completely blown away, I began more of an interest in the DGM club purchases. This all led finally to buying "The Great Deceiver" and I've not looked back since. The Larks era is simply my favorite Crim, and this live release pretty much sealed the deal.
Everyone thinks I'm psychotic, except for my friends deep inside the earth.

de gustibus non est disputandum
Indyrod
Permanently Temporary ProjeKction Admin

Postby The Crimson Avenger on Fri Apr 23, 2004 7:46 pm

I find The Great Deceiver more compelling, due to the many Improvs, but if you cotton to this era of KC, The Nightwatch is surely definitive and essential. Fairly crunching recordring, to boot.

One star deducted for the inclusion of 'Easy Money'.

-TCA
The Crimson Avenger
ProjeKction Guru

Postby RYG on Tue May 18, 2004 9:58 pm

I was in attendance at the Playback/Meet and Greet for this album in NYC in 1997 at HMV records. While in attendance this album was played over and over and over again at high volume during the four, or so hours I was there. As much as I love this album I could not listen to it for about a year after going to this playback. My guess is that it was so BURNED into my brain for four hours that it took me a while to "recover" from the experience.

The Meet and Greet was a great experience as RF was in a very good mood that day and was taking lots of questions. Then, to my astonishment (then as well as now, in hindsight) the whole '73 group (RF, JW, BB & DC) proceeded to sit at the front table and give autographs, shake hands and be generally friendly.

People were actually taking photos of RF, JW, BB & DC. Although RF was not necissarily smiling about it, he didn't get up and walk out or even ask at the microphone for people to stop.

I'd be curious to know if anyone else had an opportunity to attend this playback in NYC (or elsewhere, if they had one anywhere else) and what your impression of the playback was.
My favorite movies (right now):
"Lost In Translation", "Mulholland Drive", "Pulp Fiction", "Sin City", "Buffalo '66", "Ghost World", "Apocolypse Now (Redux)", "Donnie Darko", "Raising Arizona", "Shawshank Redemption"
RYG
ProjeKction Freak

Postby vrooom on Wed May 19, 2004 12:25 am

Any excuse to tell my UK playback story. :D

It was a good day, despite the whole London public transport system grinding to a halt and myself and the Missus being late. John Wetton did a stand-up performance of tunes (might have been Book of Saturday and Exiles, but my memory is getting worse). I queued up for ages to buy a T-shirt and a CD. When the Missus suggested I get my stuff autographed by the various band members, I replied: "Nah, I'm too fucking cool for that!" And so we left.

I did see all the LTiA members and I even caught a glimpse of Michael Giles and some other folk who might or might not have been KC folk.

I quite enjoyed sitting in Regent's Park afterwards, reflecting on the day. It was September and the weather was warm, sunny and cool all at the same time.

Darren
vrooom
Button Pusher

Postby Fred Zappelin on Thu May 20, 2004 10:52 pm

This was the first live Crimson CD I bought from that era. Soon after I had to pick up the GD box, plus Zoom Club, Beat Club, Mainz & Central Park. I think Nightwatch is still my favorite, although the shows w/ Jamie Muir are great too. I like the experimentation of that group, but by mid '73 they definitely rocked harder.

If there are any future Club CDs from '73, I'll buy them right away along with the upcoming GD2 box.
Fred Zappelin
ProjeKction Connoisseur

Next

Return to The Albums