free counter with statistics
:: ProjeKction - King Crimson NET :: • View topic - Epitaph: Live in 1969 - Volumes 1-4 (1997)

Epitaph: Live in 1969 - Volumes 1-4 (1997)

Post all your thoughts on King Crimson albums here.

Epitaph: Live in 1969 - Volumes 1-4 (1997)

Postby vrooom on Sat Apr 17, 2004 11:42 am

<center>Image</center>

Your thoughts about this album to be posted here - so feel free to talk about your first listen, what you like about this album, what you don't like, etc.

Darren
vrooom
Button Pusher

Postby cs0rpc on Sat May 08, 2004 9:34 pm

Okay, I'm looking to get my hands on some live material from this era and want to know people's viewpoints on this album. How good is it? Is it worth getting all the volumes, do the various versions of the same song have interesting variations? What about the non-album tracks, how do they stand up?

Would love to know more before investing in the set.

Cheers,

Rob.
cs0rpc

Postby Sebastian Knight on Sun May 09, 2004 4:20 am

Short Answer: Buy it, all four volumes. The improvs are much better than the "Moonchild" improv on ITCOTCK would lead you to believe. While "Travel Weary Capricorn", "Get Thy Bearings" and "Drop In" may not be first rate as song-writing, they provide good launching pads for great performances anyway. "Mars" is good live, too.
Sebastian Knight

Postby The Crimson Avenger on Sun May 09, 2004 2:56 pm

Unlistenable twaddle.

Oh wait, I didn't even buy this one. But I did buy, what was it? A diisc, or two, somehow related to this project, that included the Plumpton gig, which I remember featuring an Epic RHVL solo during 21CSM. But I gave that/those diss/s away years ago.

Either this band is not King Crimson or the incarnatiions that have ensued are not.

-TCA
The Crimson Avenger
ProjeKction Guru

Postby Gilesfan on Mon May 10, 2004 6:06 am

It's worth having. All 4 volumes have something great about them. I particularly like the BBC Sessions version of "In The Court of the Crimson King". Very powerful. Fantastic drumming and vocals. Interesting to hear the different lyrics as well.

"Drop In" has some simply hard driving swing in it. You can't help but nod your head (or head bang! :lol: ) along to it when Ian starts wailing on the sax! The improv on "Travel Bleary Capricorn" is quite awesome as well. One would never think Greg could play fast walking bass lines like that. Mike swings a la' Buddy Rich on this one.

I have always found "Mars" kind of obnoxious. I always picture this tune driving the Rolling Stones nuts (if they were listening) at the 1969 Hyde Park gig! It has its moments and starts off kind of nice. Emerson, Lake & Powell did a much better and much more listenable) version of this Holst piece.

The versions of "Epitaph" are quite awesome as well.

Great liner notes in Vol. 1-2.

Just found a Japanese version Vol. 3-4 which was quite expensive! But worth it. :D
Last edited by Gilesfan on Sun Oct 03, 2004 6:45 am, edited 8 times in total.
Gilesfan
Gilesfan
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby bongo on Sun Oct 03, 2004 6:14 am

i think i have the first one, with the berkley show on one disk and the bbc sessions on the second. what are the other ones?
"get along little doggy."
bongo
ProjeKction Champion

Postby Gilesfan on Sun Oct 03, 2004 7:07 am

bongo wrote:i think i have the first one, with the berkley show on one disk and the bbc sessions on the second. what are the other ones?

None of them were recorded at Berkley.

They are:

Volume One:

BBC Radio Sessions - "21st Century Schizoid Man" (recorded at Maida Vale studios on 6 May 1969 and first broadcast on Top Gear on 21 May 1969, the first piece ever recorded by King Crimson)

"In The Court of the Crimson King" (recorded at Maida Vale studios on 6 May 1969 and first broadcast on Top Gear on 21 May 1969)

"Get Your Bearings" (recorded at Maida Vale studios on 19 August 1969 and first broadcast on Top Gear on 7 September 1969)

"Epitaph" (recorded at Maida Vale studios on 19 August 1969)

Fillmore East, New York, 21 November 1969

Fillmore West, San Francisco, 14 December 1969

Volume Two:

Fillmore West, San Francisco, 15 December 1969 (Note: this was the last time this band ever played together)

Volume Three:
Plumpton Festival, 9 August 1969

Volume Four:
Chesterfield Jazz Club, 7 September 1969

Well, if you have not already been convinced, I'll say it:

Go get them! :D
Last edited by Gilesfan on Mon Oct 04, 2004 2:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gilesfan
Gilesfan
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby Sebastian Knight on Sun Oct 03, 2004 1:21 pm

Note to Bongo: assuming that you actually do have volumes one and two and just mistakenly assume the Fillmore West is in Berkeley, then you can order volumes 3 and 4 separately from DGM. They get shipped in little CD sleeves, with the idea that there's room in the Epitaph box to put the extra disks.
Sebastian Knight

Postby Whiskey Vengeance on Sat Oct 23, 2004 4:35 am

Nice set! Worth it for the absolutely fierce version of 21CSM from the November 21st show at the Fillmore East and an awesome little improv-laced track that didn't make it to the LP called "Travel Weary Capricorn". The second disc has stunning sound quality and is a LONG set compared to the fragmented nature of disc 1. I'm pretty confeident that if KC1 released a "live album" in the wake of ITOTCK, it would be this show's recording. Some low points are the obvious quality issues (except for 2 of the BBC sessions, don't expect audio quality on the level of, say, the "Night Watch" set), the rather sub-par solos from RF (he even admits his solos on this set are "feeble" in the booklet), and the fact that there isn't as much variation on how they perform the songs, as opposed to the later methods of approaching songs differently every night. Aside from those small problems, it's a rock solid collection. I don't have volumes 3&4, but I have heard their rendition of "Get Thy Bearings" from the Plumpton Festival gig on vol. 3, and let me say, it has an absolutely white hot solo from our friend Robert Fripp. If you even moderately enjoyed KC69, buy this set.
Whiskey Vengeance
ProjeKction Connoisseur

Postby Whiskey Vengeance on Sat Dec 10, 2005 8:19 am

Revisiting disc 4, and man, oh, man is the performance of "Get Thy Bearings" AWESOME and INTENSE! The fiercely telepathic playing and varying improvised sections are jaw dropping. Who says KC 72-74 was the one with the best improvs?

Filmore East Schizoid Man, move over! I have a new favorite KC69 performance!
Whiskey Vengeance
ProjeKction Connoisseur

Next

Return to The Albums