free counter with statistics
:: ProjeKction - King Crimson NET :: • View topic - Epitaph: Live in 1969 - Volumes 1-4 (1997)

Epitaph: Live in 1969 - Volumes 1-4 (1997)

Post all your thoughts on King Crimson albums here.

Postby Owen on Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:38 pm

Interesting post on the DGM Live! guestbook:

KC 1969 Fillmore East multitracks
:: Posted by Doctor_Flang on January 18, 2006

From Pink Floyd Brain Damage-website:

"A recent report in the Wall Street Journal hints at the possibilities that rare Pink Floyd concert recordings might be on the horizon.
The recordings are part of an archive of more than 5,000 live audio and video tapes made between 1966 and 1999, and only recently discovered when Bill Sagan spent over $5 million to buy up the Bill Graham Presents collection, which was lying unwanted and uncatalogued in a warehouse. Some of the collection was even damaged by a fire.

Sagan has spent the last two and a half years carefully going through the items and cataloging them. The recordings were made at rock concerts that the late Mr. Graham ran or promoted. The performances, many of which are professionally recorded and extremely high quality, were done so legally - as a bulging filing cabinet attests.

Graham’s company made the recordings partly for posterity’s sake, and for the patrons of the restaurant next door. Graham owned the restaurant, and didn’t want to lose customers when an artist started their set. So, he installed CCTV and piped the performances through to the diners. Many were also captured on videotape at the same time.

Sagan is now working on the early stages of complex negotiations with artists, their representatives and record labels over the rights to sell the recordings on discs and as downloads."

Any chance that the long lost King Crimson 8-track tapes recorded at Fillmore East 1969 are among those tapes? Sid?


I doubt it... but... stranger things have happened.

Cheers,
O!
The Point Moot one minute bass solos project is at http://pointmootsolo.bandcamp.com/
Moot-tube: http://www.youtube.com/user/pointmoot
The perfect holiday destination: http://point-moot.blogspot.com
Musicommentary: http://mootmobile.blogspot.com
User avatar
Owen
ProjeKction Godlike
 
Posts: 1990
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2003 7:28 am
Location: The lost civilisation of Thalan D'ow Nun-Dägh

Postby Gilesfan on Thu Jan 19, 2006 6:06 am

Owen wrote:Interesting post on the DGM Live! guestbook:

KC 1969 Fillmore East multitracks
:: Posted by Doctor_Flang on January 18, 2006

From Pink Floyd Brain Damage-website:

'So, he installed CCTV and piped the performances through to the diners. Many were also captured on videotape at the same time."


I doubt it... but... stranger things have happened.


I have said it before and I'll say it again. Somebody has got to have more 1969 footage somewhere!
Gilesfan
User avatar
Gilesfan
ProjeKction Godlike
 
Posts: 1064
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2003 7:27 am

Missing Songs

Postby JDV72 on Fri Feb 24, 2006 10:04 am

I was just nosing around John Peel's site and noticed that "I Talk to the Wind" is also listed as performed on May 6th, and another "Court" on August 19th. KC Live has no mention of them, so I guess they have never seen the light of day. Pity. :cry:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/johnpeel/artists/k/kingcrimson/
User avatar
JDV72
ProjeKction Regular
 
Posts: 36
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2004 7:13 pm

Re: Missing Songs

Postby Gilesfan on Sat Feb 25, 2006 5:38 am

JDV72 wrote:I was just nosing around John Peel's site and noticed that "I Talk to the Wind" is also listed as performed on May 6th, and another "Court" on August 19th. KC Live has no mention of them, so I guess they have never seen the light of day. Pity. :cry:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/johnpeel/artists/k/kingcrimson/


I don't see why they have not been released either. :? Strange. It could be Fripp was not happy with the performances or sound quality. But that has not stopped him from releasing things before, so it is unusual indeed. :roll:
Gilesfan
User avatar
Gilesfan
ProjeKction Godlike
 
Posts: 1064
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2003 7:27 am

Re: Missing Songs

Postby Owen on Sat Feb 25, 2006 9:10 pm

Gilesfan wrote:
JDV72 wrote:I was just nosing around John Peel's site and noticed that "I Talk to the Wind" is also listed as performed on May 6th, and another "Court" on August 19th. KC Live has no mention of them, so I guess they have never seen the light of day. Pity. :cry:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/johnpeel/artists/k/kingcrimson/


I don't see why they have not been released either. :? Strange. It could be Fripp was not happy with the performances or sound quality. But that has not stopped him from releasing things before, so it is unusual indeed. :roll:


Not that unusual really.

The Beeb's archives are full of holes. Sadly, most of the tapes from this era have been destroyed...

The TV archives are much worse. Many shows were telecast live and never even comitted to tape in the first place.

If these lost BBC tracks made it onto an internationally syndicated show then they may exist on transcription discs, but I dare say not as the research for Epitaph was pretty thorough.

Compared to many other acts of the time, KC were lucky to recover the BBC sessions that they have.

O!
The Point Moot one minute bass solos project is at http://pointmootsolo.bandcamp.com/
Moot-tube: http://www.youtube.com/user/pointmoot
The perfect holiday destination: http://point-moot.blogspot.com
Musicommentary: http://mootmobile.blogspot.com
User avatar
Owen
ProjeKction Godlike
 
Posts: 1990
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2003 7:28 am
Location: The lost civilisation of Thalan D'ow Nun-Dägh

Postby LightCurves on Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:22 pm

I bought Vol. 1 & 2 about 2 years ago from amazon and I´m wondering if I got a bootleg copy as it came in a standard 2cd jewel case (no place to add Vol. 3&4 there) and small booklet. Are there different official versions around or did I get a pirate copy?
User avatar
LightCurves
ProjeKction Regular
 
Posts: 43
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2003 7:34 pm
Location: Salzburg, Austria

Postby vrooom on Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:10 pm

I do recall seeing a jewel case version of "Epitaph" in HMV once, so I deduce that there might have been two versions produced: the boxed one, which I have and the jewel case that you have. Any thoughts out there? Anyone? Anyone at all? The guys that visit this place are like nervous debutantes at their first gangbang, too busy check out the other guys' dicks to actually get stuck in, if you know what I mean. :D


Darren
User avatar
vrooom
Button Pusher
 
Posts: 6801
Joined: Tue Feb 11, 2003 12:01 pm
Location: UK

Postby LightCurves on Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:29 pm

Alrighty then, looks like I´ve to buy it again... don´t want to miss out on the 60-something page booklet (Hey I bought the two 21st Century Guides... just for that). Now if I only could be sure that the new DGM/panegryc version is the boxed version....
User avatar
LightCurves
ProjeKction Regular
 
Posts: 43
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2003 7:34 pm
Location: Salzburg, Austria

Postby vrooom on Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:35 pm

LightCurves wrote:Now if I only could be sure that the new DGM/panegryc version is the boxed version....


Can't answer that, dude. You could throw a bone to Sid Scrote and hope that he bites on the DGM Forum. Good luck with that!

I found this on eBay and this appears to be a "new" edition of Epitaph. I've had a nosey around and I am beginning to think that the boxed version of this release might be out of print and the jewel case superseded it.

Again, it would be nice if the DGM site had a page dedicated to identifying bootlegs so we knew what to avoid and the DGM Shop site had better pictures of the product rather than the shitty sub-microscopic fare they use already.


Darren
User avatar
vrooom
Button Pusher
 
Posts: 6801
Joined: Tue Feb 11, 2003 12:01 pm
Location: UK

Postby MiKcrobe on Fri Aug 18, 2006 2:07 pm

vrooom wrote:Again, it would be nice if the DGM site had a page dedicated to identifying bootlegs so we knew what to avoid and the DGM Shop site had better pictures of the product rather than the shitty sub-microscopic fare they use already.

I know, I hate that. Gotta love it when you click on "larger image" and it's smaller than the thumbnail. Brilliant, guys.

If you buy the 4-disc set of Epitaph, wouldn't you pretty much be guaranteed of getting the box? It's currently in stock. LightCurves, if you were going to buy Epitaph again, might as well go for the 4-disc set, at least you'd be getting 2 discs you don't have. At $35 it's not a bad deal ($24 for the Vol 1-2 set).
Walking out's just another metaphor.
User avatar
MiKcrobe
ProjeKction Participant
 
Posts: 788
Joined: Fri Feb 14, 2003 9:05 pm
Location: Pen-cyl-Vayn-Ya

PreviousNext

Return to The Albums

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

cron