free counter with statistics
:: ProjeKction - King Crimson NET :: • View topic - THRaKaTTaK (1996)

THRaKaTTaK (1996)

Post all your thoughts on King Crimson albums here.

Postby Owen on Wed Apr 20, 2005 3:35 pm

Robert Fripp wrote:13.33 It's the Lunch Shift & Thrakattak. We were told later that several Pixar engineers listened to this while working on Toy Story.

It can help treat cancer and inspire animators! Is there anything this beast of an album can't do?
The Point Moot one minute bass solos project is at http://pointmootsolo.bandcamp.com/
Moot-tube: http://www.youtube.com/user/pointmoot
The perfect holiday destination: http://point-moot.blogspot.com
Musicommentary: http://mootmobile.blogspot.com
Owen
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby jtmack on Wed Apr 20, 2005 4:24 pm

Oveh I'm sorry to hear that you were sick. So it makes me happy to hear that you are well. Keep building your strength up so you can run amuck this summer.
~Jt
jtmack
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby oveh on Thu Apr 21, 2005 7:44 am

Wow!
This was ment to be a (different) kind of a recommodation/review. And it sure became one :D

Just to clarify, no the album itself did not cure me! But, music helps! (Music is the best, as Zappa said)

The word cancer scares the shit out of most of us, including me.
So, in my simple world, I used this music as a means to handle that situation. Not the only means, but an important one.
And, beeing what it is, the somewhat most scary music in the world, what better means could one use in order to handle a very scary situation :?:

Then, thanks for all the warm and good words and thoughts posted in this thread by you lot! I assure you, I am back on the right ThraK again.

Cheers,

Ove

-Yes, I have quit smoking :D -
The only thing that stops God sending a second Flood is that the first one was useless.
oveh
ProjeKction Connoisseur

Postby MiKcrobe on Thu Apr 21, 2005 2:21 pm

oveh wrote:What the doctors think, I don't know. One of them asked me:
"What the #¤#!!¤ are you listening to?" :D

Oveh, just tell your doctors it's Crimsotherapy! I'm glad to hear about your recovery. And to think in some countries, KC is used as an instrument of torture!
Walking out's just another metaphor.
MiKcrobe
ProjeKction Participant

Postby The Crimson Fox on Wed May 24, 2006 12:41 am

PHEW!...I've just endured my yearly listen to Thrakattak and it still aint pretty.

This has got to be my least favourite album under the King Crimson name. I even listen to Islands more than this one.

I'm sure Fripp released this album as some kind of joke... A fool and his money and all that!

Every track sounds the same (apart from one and eight) IMO... I remember feeling physically drained after my first listen when I purchased it on its release date in 1996. My advice is don’t play it loud...That way people wont think you are totally mad.

THRaKaTTaK Part I sounds like Chas N Dave on Acid. See Track 5 at the 5 minute mark for another good impression. In fact most of the album does.

Pat Mastelotto & Bill Bruford go unnoticed on this album. It is just a complete mess. Fripp & Belew fight for who can produce the craziest piano sound on their guitars.

How does this compare with the 21st Century Schizoid Men from Ladies of the Road?... I could never bring myself to buy that album. I once read a review which said it was endurance test… which I can imagine it is.

This is another digipak which is totally wrecked even though I have played it about 20 times. Hooray for jewel cases!!!

I’ve got nothing good to say about this album apart from Track 6 at the 7 minute 50 second mark when Pat Mastelotto launches two scud missiles from his drum set… By the way this moment is only 4 seconds long!!! Oh yeah...I almost forgot...Track 7 at the one minute 29 second mark when Fripps guitar totally breaks down.

See you in 2007... My opinion may have changed as I grow older and lose some more brain cells
The Crimson Fox
ProjeKction Savant

Postby ChewChewGumChew on Wed May 24, 2006 1:00 am

The Crimson Fox wrote:PHEW!...I've just endured my yearly listen to Thrakattak and it still aint pretty.

This has got to be my least favourite album under the King Crimson name. I even listen to Islands more than this one.
Well I listen to Islands alot anyway, but I must agree. I skip over this one often. However, the 71/72 Schizoid Man disc from the LOTR release is one of my favorites...
Dig me, but don't bury me.
ChewChewGumChew
ProjeKction Freak

Postby oveh on Wed May 24, 2006 11:47 am

Don't underestimate the albums healing effect.
:D
I had my bi-annual checkup again yesterday, no sign of any more cancer here. :lol:

Cheers,

Ove
The only thing that stops God sending a second Flood is that the first one was useless.
oveh
ProjeKction Connoisseur

Postby vrooom on Wed May 24, 2006 11:54 am

Way to go, OveH! ;-)

Darren
vrooom
Button Pusher

Postby MiKcrobe on Wed May 24, 2006 4:58 pm

The Crimson Fox wrote:PHEW!...I've just endured my yearly listen to Thrakattak and it still aint pretty.

Every track sounds the same (apart from one and eight) IMO... I remember feeling physically drained after my first listen when I purchased it on its release date in 1996. My advice is don’t play it loud...That way people wont think you are totally mad.

This is another digipak which is totally wrecked even though I have played it about 20 times. Hooray for jewel cases!!!

:lol: Great review, Fox! Listening to ThraKaTTaK is like taking medicine--you might not like it but you know somehow it's good for you (ask Oveh). It's like doing your homework--it's sucks to have to do it, but in the long run you'll be better off for it. The key to listening to this album is to not try to play at all at one sitting and especially don't just let it play on from beginning to end, otherwise your brain just tunes it out after 5 minutes or so. Play one track at a time--then push stop! Allow a bit of silence in between tracks, say anywhere from a minute to a few weeks.

And I couldn't agree more about the digipacks. Jewel cases have their disadvantages but they can be easily and cheaply replaced while keeping the paper inserts intact.
Walking out's just another metaphor.
MiKcrobe
ProjeKction Participant

Postby vrooom on Wed May 24, 2006 5:06 pm

I love digipaks, so :P. The problem is that you guys just don't know how to care for them. You have to gently caress them, treat them with respect, not be too rough. It's like being with a woman, you know...oh wait a minute, you guys like King Crimson, so I guess you probably ain't had much experience with the laydeez. :D

Digipaks rule and are more environmentally friendly. Those who disagree are stupid pooh-pooh heads. You know I am right.

Darren
vrooom
Button Pusher

PreviousNext

Return to The Albums