free counter with statistics
:: ProjeKction - King Crimson NET :: • View topic - THRaKaTTaK (1996)

THRaKaTTaK (1996)

Post all your thoughts on King Crimson albums here.

Postby MiKcrobe on Wed May 24, 2006 5:35 pm

vrooom wrote:I love digipaks, so :P. The problem is that you guys just don't know how to care for them.

I'm a bit older than you--I've been down that road with vinyl records that came with whopping big 12" x 12" paperboard covers that required lots of care if you wanted them to stay nice. I used to buy anti-static lined sleeves for the records and plastic slip-covers for the jackets. (Plus kids today have no idea what it's like to move house with 1,000 records! Those bastards are heavy.) CDs changed that. Though I'm always nostalgic for records, I'd rather not have to put that kind of care into CDs. I wouldn't mind the digipacks if they reinforced the corners and the spine somehow, but they do wear quickly. And I really hate the packaging where the CD is just slipped into a pocket. Sliding the CD in and out of the paper sleeve repeatedly does scratch it.
Walking out's just another metaphor.
MiKcrobe
ProjeKction Participant

Postby Indyrod on Wed May 24, 2006 11:52 pm

MiKcrobe wrote:
vrooom wrote:I love digipaks, so :P. The problem is that you guys just don't know how to care for them.

I'm a bit older than you--I've been down that road with vinyl records that came with whopping big 12" x 12" paperboard covers that required lots of care if you wanted them to stay nice. I used to buy anti-static lined sleeves for the records and plastic slip-covers for the jackets. (Plus kids today have no idea what it's like to move house with 1,000 records! Those bastards are heavy.) CDs changed that. Though I'm always nostalgic for records, I'd rather not have to put that kind of care into CDs. I wouldn't mind the digipacks if they reinforced the corners and the spine somehow, but they do wear quickly. And I really hate the packaging where the CD is just slipped into a pocket. Sliding the CD in and out of the paper sleeve repeatedly does scratch it.

You're right of course MiK. I like the digipaks, but some of them are packed so tight, it's pretty hard on the cd getting them in and out. They are much more prone to getting scratched, regardless of how careful you are.
Everyone thinks I'm psychotic, except for my friends deep inside the earth.

de gustibus non est disputandum
Indyrod
Permanently Temporary ProjeKction Admin

Postby diderot on Thu May 25, 2006 4:24 pm

MiKcrobe wrote:(...) Plus kids today have no idea what it's like to move house with 1,000 records! Those bastards are heavy.

I'm facing this now as I'm moving till next week. :roll: I think I still have about 400 records (I don't know why I still keep it) and some more in CDs and DVDs.

The best part is when you have put them in the shelves and get surprised by some records and CDs you didn't remember you had, and then get interested in listening again...
Diderot
diderot
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby MiKcrobe on Thu May 25, 2006 5:28 pm

diderot wrote:The best part is when you have put them in the shelves and get surprised by some records and CDs you didn't remember you had, and then get interested in listening again...

I love doing that. In fact, a while back I spent a couple days just pulling old records out at random and writing reviews of them which I collected togther in this thread:
http://www.projekction.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1880
Walking out's just another metaphor.
MiKcrobe
ProjeKction Participant

Postby diderot on Thu May 25, 2006 11:45 pm

MiKcrobe wrote:
diderot wrote:The best part is when you have put them in the shelves and get surprised by some records and CDs you didn't remember you had, and then get interested in listening again...

I love doing that. In fact, a while back I spent a couple days just pulling old records out at random and writing reviews of them which I collected togther in this thread:
http://www.projekction.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1880

Maybe I can contribute to this thread soon. :wink:
Diderot
diderot
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby UnderTheShelteringSky on Sat Jul 08, 2006 10:23 pm

Well, as someone who likes the abstract and controversial aspect of music, I have to admit that it took a few listens before I was able to enjoy the whole cd. However, it's definately one of my top fav cds from King Crimson(I even like it better than The Contrukction Of Light, which previously was one of my fav KC cds.)

THRaKaTTaK is rewarding if you just give it time. After an extended period of listening, it'll open it's beauty and wonder to the listener. 8)

EDIT: And Vroom, "Blemish" is my fav David Sylvian album. :? I guess it takes all kinds. :P
UnderTheShelteringSky
ProjeKction Fan

Postby Krimzep on Sun Jul 09, 2006 3:03 am

Thrakkattak is a great listen if you want to put on a pair of head phones and actually try and hear each of the instruments and what they are trying to say to one another.
Krimzep
ProjeKction Godlike

Previous

Return to The Albums