free counter with statistics
:: ProjeKction - King Crimson NET :: • View topic - Three of a Perfect Pair (1984)

Three of a Perfect Pair (1984)

Post all your thoughts on King Crimson albums here.

Three of a Perfect Pair (1984)

Postby vrooom on Sat Apr 17, 2004 11:38 am

<center>Image</center>

Your thoughts about this album to be posted here - so feel free to talk about your first listen, what you like about this album, what you don't like, etc.

Darren
vrooom
Button Pusher

Postby azureus on Thu May 13, 2004 12:00 am

this was actually the first crim disc i was able to get my hands on. one listen through, and i knew then and there that it was nothing i'd be interested in (so i went back to tool). however! after a couple summers of endurance training for guitar and bass, i stumbled upon toapp yet again ('cause i never throw anything out) and hit upon "sleepless". that's all it took to get me into the amazing world that is king crimson. everyone around me was "flea this" and "jc that"...but none of them hold a candle to mr.levin, and i got the 30th anniversary disc with a few neat mixes of the track. i'm also commenting on this album 'cause i JUST learned the solo version of "three of a perfect pair" and plan to play it somewhere sometime soon (here's hoping, at least)...maybe the coffee shop downtown. well, anyways...thank you for your time.
azureus

Postby Gilesfan on Thu May 13, 2004 9:10 am

I clearly remember hearing this when it first came out. It was a tremendous contrast of Bill's playing to the then recently released Moraz/Bruford Music for Piano and Drums.

I don't own this one on disc as of now. I have it on vinyl and barely listen to it. With the exception of "Larks Tongues in Aspic Part 3", I find Side 2 is alot of filler, and overall the band sounds like it definitely lacks direction and is near the end on this album.

However, I quite like "Sleepless", "Man With an Open Heart", and "Model Man".

This album is extremely "electronic" sounding and seems to lack depth.

The video from the 1984 tour in Japan was great though! :D
Last edited by Gilesfan on Thu May 13, 2004 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gilesfan
Gilesfan
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby The Crimson Avenger on Thu May 13, 2004 1:49 pm

The material is a mixed bag. SLEEPLESS, of course, is a keeper.

The only thing I'd add about this disc is that the recent remaster was, sonically, one of the most marked improvements of any remaster I've bought. Plus it has bonus mixes of SLEEPLESS, which means I can finally retire my old 12" single.

-TCA
The Crimson Avenger
ProjeKction Guru

Postby herb66 on Sat Sep 17, 2005 3:07 pm

i had times when i was very depressive. these were the times when i listened to ToaPP, the whole album. i still wonder that i didn't commit suicide after that!
boom boom boom - boom boom boom boom boom
dig me - but dont bury me!
I LOVE(D) IT
look at that hammerhead hand in hand with that mandrill
herb66
ProjeKction Acolyte

Postby The Crimson Fox on Sun Apr 02, 2006 10:17 pm

Tonight I have listened to the 24 bit remaster of Three of a Perfect Pair on headphones and soaked in every detail which I haven’t done for a while.

I still think this is one of my favourite King Crimson albums. I remember when I first bought it on vinyl in 1991 and thinking how weird and innovative it sounded.

I prefer the right side to the left!! Larks' Tongues in Aspic Part III is still my favourite.

The bonus tracks on the disc (The Other Side) are quite interesting although The King Crimson Barber Shop is very tongue in cheek!!! It doesn’t belong on here and spoils the package IMO.

What do the fellow ProjeKctionists think?
The Crimson Fox
ProjeKction Savant

Postby Indyrod on Sun Apr 02, 2006 10:30 pm

This is probably my least favorite KC studio album, and to be honest, I don't even own it. It and "Beat". I have the video, dvd, and live performances of this material, and I just do not like the songs that well to want the studio album. I feel this is Adrian's album for the most part, and his pop song writing is not what I want to hear from KC. Although, I do like the live releases. Sounds weird I know, but I can listen to almost anything KC does live, including the 3OAPP material.
Everyone thinks I'm psychotic, except for my friends deep inside the earth.

de gustibus non est disputandum
Indyrod
Permanently Temporary ProjeKction Admin

Postby Riverman on Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:13 am

The Crimson Fox wrote:I prefer the right side to the left!! Larks' Tongues in Aspic Part III is still my favourite.

I can't pick a favorite.. I like em, both, but they're apples & oranges. If I had to pick one, it would be side 2 since I've never cared for "Man with an Open Heart."

The bonus tracks on the disc (The Other Side) are quite interesting although The King Crimson Barber Shop is very tongue in cheek!!! It doesn’t belong on here and spoils the package IMO.

I don't mind it - I never listen through all the bonus tracks in a row anyway, and it's a nice little laugh. I just wonder why it wasn't released with Beat since I believe those sessions were when Tony recorded it.
The sound of one hand clapping is the same as the sound of a tree falling when no one's around to hear it.
Riverman
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby MiKcrobe on Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:11 pm

The Crimson Fox wrote:The bonus tracks on the disc (The Other Side) are quite interesting although The King Crimson Barber Shop is very tongue in cheek!!! It doesn’t belong on here and spoils the package IMO.

What do the fellow ProjeKctionists think?

One of the drawbacks to bonus tracks (not that I'd ever refuse bonus tracks, mind you) is that they do tend to upset the concept of the album as originally presented. If the bonus tracks are different songs entirely, the result can be an improvement, but when they are merely remixes, such as in this case, it can get tiresome. "Sleepless" is an okay song, but hearing it four times in one sitting is a bit much. OTOH, I really appreciated "Industrial Zone A" and "B." The Barbershop Quartet is hilarious and I'm glad to have it. I think I may burn a custom copy of this album, leaving off the two "...Man..." songs and selecting only one "Sleepless."
Walking out's just another metaphor.
MiKcrobe
ProjeKction Participant

Postby Riverman on Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:52 pm

MiKcrobe wrote:I think I may burn a custom copy of this album, leaving off the two "...Man..." songs and selecting only one "Sleepless."

That's almost what I did. My CD-R runs:

3PP
Model Man
Sleepless (T-Lev mix)
Nuages
Industry
Dig Me
Industrial Zone A
No Warning
Industrial Zone B
Larks' III

Your mileage may vary...
The sound of one hand clapping is the same as the sound of a tree falling when no one's around to hear it.
Riverman
ProjeKction Godlike

Next

Return to The Albums