free counter with statistics
:: ProjeKction - King Crimson NET :: • View topic - Beat (1982)

Beat (1982)

Post all your thoughts on King Crimson albums here.

Postby herb66 on Sat Sep 17, 2005 3:13 pm

when i first listened to neurotica i could hardly follow the lyrics in the booklet because its recited so fast. in the meantime i learned the whole thing by heart and i can recite it in 63 seconds!!!
look at that hammerhead hand in hand with that mandrill
herb66
ProjeKction Acolyte

Postby UnderTheShelteringSky on Mon Mar 20, 2006 2:44 pm

"Beat" has always been one of my favorites. Even though "Discipline" is my fav from the 80s lineup, "Beat" comes in a close second. There are just so many killer songs on that cd(excluding "Heartbeat" - I always have felt that the version that went on Adrian's solo cd is much stronger.)
UnderTheShelteringSky
ProjeKction Fan

Postby Mark on Sat May 06, 2006 7:34 pm

This is easily the 80s KC studio album that I listen to the most. Even though all three albums were improved upon live, there's still some special charm that Beat has.
Mark
ProjeKction Groupie

Postby Petary791 on Mon May 15, 2006 1:35 am

I originally got Beat because I wanted some more Tony Levin Stick work. Luckily, I found it! I agree with most of the other things said before. It has amazing songs like "Neal and Jack and Me," which has one of the sickest intros for any song ever and "Sartori in Tangier," which is a Stickist's harum. The other songs I can tolerate, but I don't go out of my way to listen to them.
Petary791

Postby Dog_none on Mon May 15, 2006 4:53 am

I actually listened to this album several times this past weekend.

It flows a lot better than I remember, and I'm starting to see how some think this is an improvement over Discipline. But I'm still not totally sold.

Of course the best tracks are as good as anything on Discipline but Heartbeat and Two Hands still ruin it for me. The music is kind of nice (in an "ok I won't skip right to the next track" sort of way), but the lyrics are too much. I want to like these songs, but I just don't. I guess I feel like Darren does about the LTIA IV coda.

The Howler has gone from average to great in my book. Ever since the Philadelphia 1982 show came out, I've loved this song.

I still don't get Reqium. I'd love to have an opinion on it, but I just don't understand it. I like it better as "Entry of the Crim".
I was just now thinking about the Jaws Of Life
how they chew you up and spit you right
back into the frying pan
Dog_none
Projizzle Dizzle Nizzle

Postby MiKcrobe on Mon May 15, 2006 2:10 pm

Dog_none wrote:I still don't get Reqium. I'd love to have an opinion on it, but I just don't understand it. I like it better as "Entry of the Crim".

I think it helps to be familiar with John Coltrane and Pharoah Sanders. Unfortunately, I'm not, so I just try to take it in on its own terms. I love the fade out at the end.
Walking out's just another metaphor.
MiKcrobe
ProjeKction Participant

Postby laurent m on Mon May 15, 2006 4:34 pm

Dog_none wrote:Heartbeat and Two Hands still ruin it for me. The music is kind of nice (in an "ok I won't skip right to the next track" sort of way), but the lyrics are too much

Is the Two Hands lyric that bad? Is it because I'm french and absolutley don't care about the words, just the music, that I really like Two Hands with its gorgeous Belew tone an tasty Levin lines and do not understand why it's such a big offender? (I actually agree that Heartbeat is very average)
laurent m
ProjeKction Fan

Postby Dog_none on Thu May 18, 2006 1:29 am

laurent m wrote:Is the Two Hands lyric that bad?

Yes. Well, maybe "bad" isn't the best word. They just really annoy me. But it does seem like a bad poem, whereas most of Ade's other lyrics are clever wordplays. I'm usually good at tuning out lyrics I don't like, but not here for some reason. Maybe I just need to give it more of a chance (I had more or less written off Beat and TOAPP until a year or so ago). Or have a glass a glass of whisky or wine before I listen.
I was just now thinking about the Jaws Of Life
how they chew you up and spit you right
back into the frying pan
Dog_none
Projizzle Dizzle Nizzle

Postby MiKcrobe on Thu May 18, 2006 2:16 pm

Dog_none wrote:Yes. Well, maybe "bad" isn't the best word.

More like "girly." Give me a lyric like "Cat's foot iron claw" or "Blood rack barbed wire" or "Concrete cold face cased in steel" any day. In fairness though, "Two Hands" was written by a woman so there you go.
Walking out's just another metaphor.
MiKcrobe
ProjeKction Participant

Postby laurent m on Thu May 18, 2006 4:34 pm

MiKcrobe wrote:Give me a lyric like "Cat's foot iron claw" or "Blood rack barbed wire" or "Concrete cold face cased in steel" any day

Although I don't care for lyrics, I can get that difference. But then such lyrics wouldn't fit the ballad material, and KC wouldn't be the same to me without Matte, Two Hands, Walking On Air, Book of Saturday or Eyes Wide Open.
And BTW, the girl who wrote two hands also wrote Indiscipline, even if she was unaware of it and didn't get any credit. How's that for a girly lyric?
laurent m
ProjeKction Fan

PreviousNext

Return to The Albums