free counter with statistics
:: ProjeKction - King Crimson NET :: • View topic - Starless & Bible Black (1974)

Starless & Bible Black (1974)

Post all your thoughts on King Crimson albums here.

Re: Starless & Bible Black (1974)

Postby Ironclaw on Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:38 am

This is a version of a post I just made on the Red thread:

Red is great, but SABB is, in my not-so-humble opinion, greater. It is for me the only perfect album KC has made. However, in order to "get" SABB (and improvs such as Providence on Red) it may be necessary to have some familiarity with 20th Century European orchestral/chamber music AKA Modernist "serious" music (incorrectly called modern classical music by many people.) For any Crimson fans who have not really listened much to that sort of thing but are willing to give it a try, I'd suggest starting with the Violin and Piano duo sonatas of Bartok, which one old friend and fellow fan of SABB labeled "Heavy Wood" on first listening.

(BTW, I'm not talking about stuff like Phillip Glass, who is firmly within Postmodernism, not Modernism. Postmodernism does, however, relate to KC from Discipline onward.)
Ironclaw
ProjeKction Groupie

Postby Geno on Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:39 pm

Ironclaw wrote:[S&BB] is for me the only perfect album KC has made.

Interesting thought. For me the only perfect one is Discipline. S&BB comes close, but "The Mincer" counts as a flaw (as interesting and inventive as it is). So does the fact that it's mixed so quiet as to be inaudible in spots.
There's just three things in my life that I regret
There's everything I've done, everything I'm doing
And what I haven't done yet
Geno
ProjeKction Veteran

Postby Ironclaw on Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:12 am

Oh, I love "The Mincer", especially the way the ending sounded on vinyl as the last track on side one. It really made you think someone had just pulled the plug on your player.
Ironclaw
ProjeKction Groupie

Postby EruditeMan on Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:29 pm

I disliked the Mincer and other improvs from this lineup at first. Then they grew on me... and then I couldn't get enough of them. I enjoy the studio added lyrics on The Mincer a lot
EruditeMan
ProjeKction Fan

Postby Ironclaw on Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:28 pm

And I forgot the marvellous John Cage:

Not only is it not "classical", some people doubt he made "music":

But am I kidding myself? Do I actually think anyone is going to click the link and bother to listen to the whole thing and appreciate it? No one commented on the awesome wonderful spectacular and dark violin/piano music of Bartok....
Ironclaw
ProjeKction Groupie

Postby Krimzep on Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:54 am

Dont be like that man ! I watched them and yes its good stuff and this is coming from a Kronos Quartet Fan so you know I'm not kidding.

It takes an enormous leap for most people to even appreciate what would be called normal or tradition classical music. If you cannot enjoy classical then you most likely wont be able to enjoy the likes of Kc or ELP and others that have a clear classical influence. You also need an attention span that wont have you running in 30 seconds because there is no immediate hook. So when it comes to making the leap to this type of music is even harder.

But at this forum you have the type of people who do have what it takes to watch that kind of stuff and enjoy it. Just because I didnt reply doesn't mean I didn't like it and that probably goes for a few others here too. Personally I really like the more macabre side of classical myself but I do admit I haven't been doing as much listening to that end for a long while now..

Thank you for posting I would be happy to see more weird classical stuffs. :D

Click the link for more of this kind.

Ferneyhough: String Quartet No 6 (2010) You can hear some of the same type of playing found in Providence

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... 75kiGAh5Yg
Krimzep
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby Indyrod on Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:09 am

ok, I used to be heavily into classical music, and collected a huge CD library, and even some live classical performances on VHS. and I attended the Symphony at least once a week. so the point is, my taste was just as strongly involved in classical music, before it moved out of "Philip Glass" back slowly to Progressive Rock and now heavy metal rock and sub genres of Metal.

So, yes, I've listened to, and own cds of John Cage, and some of his stuff I liked in small doses, and a few other releases I do own. the same goes with the Bartok piece, I've seen it a couple of times at the Symphony, and I enjoy it and own on a couple of cds in my library. but Cage or Bartok seem to me different animals, so can't draw much of a connection.

so the link I personally get is that Cage led me somehow to Philip Glass, who became my favorite, and I collected everything available, even a bootleg opera, actually 2, and saw him in concert. after my Glass taste moved on a bit, it became King Crimson and collect everything they had available, like most everybody here. and so on, as my tastes move on. so I get what you are doing, it's just a taste thing with me, right now at least.
Everyone thinks I'm psychotic, except for my friends deep inside the earth.

de gustibus non est disputandum
Indyrod
Permanently Temporary ProjeKction Admin

Postby Indyrod on Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:31 am

btw, I watched the John Cage video, and I've heard it before and it is a great piece. and also the Bartok piece, which is pretty much too much strain on my nerves and ears. can't listen to it long enuff, to draw any comparisons to anybody.
Everyone thinks I'm psychotic, except for my friends deep inside the earth.

de gustibus non est disputandum
Indyrod
Permanently Temporary ProjeKction Admin

Postby Ironclaw on Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:27 am

Thank ye for the responses.

Thought people who like KC would have pretty broad taste...

Glad they do.

I got a bit desperate. It's nice to know there are people still out there.
Ironclaw
ProjeKction Groupie

Postby Yali on Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:31 am

I really find the improvs chosen to be of the more boring variety, that's why I created my sabb revised edition with this track order culled from the great repository of Crim material:

1. The Great Deceiver
2. Lament
3. Heidelberg II
4. The Night Watch
5. The Savage
6. Dr. Diamond (Mainz)
7. Atria
8. Is There Life Out There?
9. Fracture

Now it rocks!
Yali
ProjeKction Abecedarian