free counter with statistics
:: ProjeKction - King Crimson NET :: • View topic - Larks' Tongues in Aspic (1973)

Larks' Tongues in Aspic (1973)

Post all your thoughts on King Crimson albums here.

Postby JerryWS on Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:25 pm

The one that really got alot of airplay, in the bay area anyway, was Beat. Believe it or not, but when that came out Heartbeat was everywhere. Neil And Jack And Me and Waiting Man also actually received alot of airplay. Still blows the doors off of Styx. :twisted:
JerryWS
ProjeKction Regular

Postby Whiskey Vengeance on Sun Sep 23, 2007 8:33 pm

I have the '89 Definitive Edition remaster of this one and there's distortion audible during several passages. This is especially noticeable when John Wetton's kicks on the fuzz-wah during "The Talking Drum". Did I get a bad copy or is this an issue with all pressings?
Whiskey Vengeance
ProjeKction Connoisseur

Postby JerryWS on Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:02 pm

The earlier copies tended to have more things like that wrong with them. In fact, the first copies from the late 80's tended to sound fairly bad. Try picking up a newer copy (DGM) and be amazed. 8)
JerryWS
ProjeKction Regular

Re: Larks' Tongues in Aspic (1973)

Postby EphCee on Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:20 pm

I could perorate for ages in here about this album, but I shan't do this. I think that "Larks'" is what separates the boys from the men assaying the "tolerance" for the freer endeavors of KC. With KC, it has always been about how much can you stomach in their music, and this is the ultimate test. One should avoid hyperbole, but to say that this album is great is an understatement. I remember the first time I heard this album, and it seemed like an impenetrable racket to me; I was just curious about what Bruford has done after leaving Yes and I knew "In The Court", "In The Wake", etc., but I never could imagine that KC would turn out to do such brooding music, yet with lilting moments that had an immense and intense amount of contrast. It's an album that doesn't need explanation regarding why one would appeciate the efforts contained within it; it's an album that simply is. To be listened on a daily basis.
EphCee
ProjeKction Abecedarian

Postby Dog_none on Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:59 pm

Well said. Like you, I didn't really dig this album at first. I think I was 14 or 15 when I heard it, and I didn't get it at all. I rediscovered it in college and it has been a favorite ever since.

Trying to describe it to non-believers is generally a waste of energy.
I was just now thinking about the Jaws Of Life
how they chew you up and spit you right
back into the frying pan
Dog_none
Projizzle Dizzle Nizzle

Postby Nivek on Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:05 pm

The first time I heard any of the songs off of it I saw them playing larks 1 in the one recorded video on youtube (the tv appearance). I was like "these dudes are weirdos lol" and went on about my buisness (I listened to Epitaph off Limewire which originally sparked my interest in them). Thought the little crazy guitar riff Fripp did in the middle was cool. Took me a while to get into the album though, when I got it.
wat no COHEED AND CAMBRIA?!?!!
These guys are just OLD. Doesn't mean if your old your any good. Look at John Mc Cain
Nivek
ProjeKction Regular

Postby DrGonzo on Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:49 am

for me Larks' Tongues is Crimsons masterpiece. I just love the flow and grooove of the album, it rules. THe drums are fantastic if not perfect. And its a mind trip and an adventure. When you under the influence of anything mind expnading this album is just crazy. When I all fucked up Ill put this on close my eyes and just flow with the music. Fripp and this new band really had a thing, I love the 73-74 band they just kicked ass. And made a huge statement in the music world. Really I think I listen to this album at least twice a week and I been doing this for years now. Its just so good, Fripps guitar is on fire and his tunes bring chills down my spine. Murr and Brufords drums fill the album with just a great and cool sound like some Miles Davis On The Corner stuff. And Wettons voice and bass just changed the whole sound of Crimson. This album was just 5 out of 5 in my mind.
DrGonzo
ProjeKction Abecedarian

Postby RYG on Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:07 pm

For the first info related to the Lark's releases go here: http://www.dgmlive.com/news.htm?entry=3916. The mega box certainly looks interesting enough. Scared to see the price though.
My favorite movies (right now):
"Lost In Translation", "Mulholland Drive", "Pulp Fiction", "Sin City", "Buffalo '66", "Ghost World", "Apocolypse Now (Redux)", "Donnie Darko", "Raising Arizona", "Shawshank Redemption"
RYG
ProjeKction Freak

Postby Krimzep on Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:36 pm

RYG wrote:For the first info related to the Lark's releases go here: http://www.dgmlive.com/news.htm?entry=3916. The mega box certainly looks interesting enough. Scared to see the price though.

I said in an earlier post that i didnt know what else I could really buy, but! damn I want the 13 cd set doubt very highly if i can afford it :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
Krimzep
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby vrooom on Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:07 pm

Well for me this is a must-have as LTiA is my favourite KC album. I think some of the box set is overkill - because I probably own some, if not all, of the live CDs already. But really looking forward to this...and it comes out a week after the Peter Gabriel So boxset. Looks like I"m having to sell my other kidney on eBay now...
vrooom
Button Pusher

PreviousNext

Return to The Albums