free counter with statistics
:: ProjeKction - King Crimson NET :: • View topic - Islands (1971)

Islands (1971)

Post all your thoughts on King Crimson albums here.

Re: Islands (1971)

Postby Indyrod on Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:28 pm

vrooom wrote:Here's my thoughts on the Islands album:

I'll agree with you, that the Islands Band, was more blues than a Crimhead might expect. I would even suggest, that it is more Jazz influenced than Blues, but a case could be made for either. but either one, that band tore through that music, even more when performed live. yea, these guys were doing their own thing, or what Mr. Fripps direction was at the time. and I'm mighty happy about that.
Everyone thinks I'm psychotic, except for my friends deep inside the earth.

de gustibus non est disputandum
Indyrod
Permanently Temporary ProjeKction Admin

Postby ChewChewGumChew on Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:20 am

Great to hear others talk about stuff I like. I LOVE Islands. The album, along with all the respective KCCC and DGM downloads, are my favorite because they are so contradictory of each other. Who'd a thunk the Islands band could make the Earthbound album? Polar opposites... It's the ONLY 40th Anniversary Edition I own. Thanks Darren. Nice having you in the room with me, talking about it. Ian was kind enough to sign my 30th Anniversary edition way back when, which I will always treasure.
Dig me, but don't bury me.
ChewChewGumChew
ProjeKction Freak

Re: Re:

Postby Geno on Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:49 am

k0stil wrote:So much for the "Definitive Edition" CD. I wonder if Fripp ever regrets using that label for those remasters since a) they are no longer definitive, and b) the often contain mastering goof-ups.

I doubt it. If he spends any time regretting anything about those days, this is probably the smallest of footnotes. (And for all we know, he wasn't the one who picked that label in the first place.)
There's just three things in my life that I regret
There's everything I've done, everything I'm doing
And what I haven't done yet
Geno
ProjeKction Veteran

Postby Yali on Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:55 am

I found out what was so shitty about Islands! The running order sucks. Side 2 has two quiet tracks back to back. I played around in CD Architect and fixed the damn thing to be (I believe) a much better record. I used one outtake from the 40th anniversary edition and rearranged the tracks as so:

1. Formentera Lady
2. Sailor's Tale
3. The Letters
4. Prelude: Song of the Gulls
5. A Peacemaking Stint Unrolls
6. Ladies of the Road
7. Islands

...and it works! The flow is much better. :D

...and I do like Ladies of the Road, I just wish the band didn't sound drunk while recording it. Boz hits so many wrong notes and Fripp's backwards solo is painful. I bet if John Wetton had been there he would have contributed a much more groovy drunken bass-line than Boz did.
Yali
ProjeKction Abecedarian

Postby Krimzep on Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:09 am

Yali wrote:I found out what was so shitty about Islands! The running order sucks. Side 2 has two quiet tracks back to back. I played around in CD Architect and fixed the damn thing to be (I believe) a much better record. I used one outtake from the 40th anniversary edition and rearranged the tracks as so:

1. Formentera Lady
2. Sailor's Tale
3. The Letters
4. Prelude: Song of the Gulls
5. A Peacemaking Stint Unrolls
6. Ladies of the Road
7. Islands

...and it works! The flow is much better. :D

...and I do like Ladies of the Road, I just wish the band didn't sound drunk while recording it. Boz hits so many wrong notes and Fripp's backwards solo is painful. I bet if John Wetton had been there he would have contributed a much more groovy drunken bass-line than Boz did.

No No No! Prelude of the Gulls is the actual prelude for Islands you cannot break them up.

A better running order would be to start with

Ladies Of The Road
The Letters
Formentera Lady
Sailors tail
Prelude
Islands

Now it all makes sense :wink:
Krimzep
ProjeKction Godlike

Previous

Return to The Albums