free counter with statistics
:: ProjeKction - King Crimson NET :: • View topic - Lizard (1970)

Lizard (1970)

Post all your thoughts on King Crimson albums here.

Postby vrooom on Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:34 pm

I too have a soft spot for Lizard because it is soooo way out - this stuff is pure, distilled Crimson juice, too powerful for public consumption. Compared to ITWOP and Islands, it is actually a more complete album, despite its reputation.

Darren
vrooom
Button Pusher

Postby Hans on Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:55 pm

Indyrod wrote:for the zillionth time, I LOVE LIZARD, always have, always will...

I wrote my review in response to Gilesfan's post:
Gilesfan wrote:What is it people don't like about this album?

What is it that people love about it?

Indy, maybe you should stop repeating "I LOVE LIZARD" and do the same?

It's much easier to be critical about something you hate than about something you LOVE.
Hans

Postby Indyrod on Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:46 pm

Hans wrote:Indy, maybe you should stop repeating "I LOVE LIZARD" and do the same?

It's much easier to be critical about something you hate than about something you LOVE.

Hans, I've written it seems like many reviews of "Lizard". Some have been quite detailed about how I like the album from start to finish. I used a quick simple response, because anybody that has been reading my writings of Crimson material knows that this is one of my favorite albums. I kind of get tired of repeating myself over and over again. I kind of get tired of repeating myself over and over again. I kind of get tired of repeating myself over and over again.
Everyone thinks I'm psychotic, except for my friends deep inside the earth.

de gustibus non est disputandum
Indyrod
Permanently Temporary ProjeKction Admin

Postby Hans on Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:01 pm

Indyrod wrote:
Hans wrote:Indy, maybe you should stop repeating "I LOVE LIZARD" and do the same?

Hans, I've written it seems like many reviews of "Lizard". Some have been quite detailed about how I like the album from start to finish. I used a quick simple response, because anybody that has been reading my writings of Crimson material knows that this is one of my favorite albums. I kind of get tired of repeating myself over and over again. I kind of get tired of repeating myself over and over again. I kind of get tired of repeating myself over and over again.

That's fair. But I kind of don't get why you keep repeating your self, as for all I could see, no one asked if you like it or not. Never mind. No need to explain. Let's move on and hope a lot more people will find Lizard a good album.
Hans

Postby Indyrod on Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:07 pm

Oh, I don't need a reason Hans, I pretty much do what I want these days. No invitation is needed. :wink:
Everyone thinks I'm psychotic, except for my friends deep inside the earth.

de gustibus non est disputandum
Indyrod
Permanently Temporary ProjeKction Admin

Postby Dog_none on Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:46 pm

Indyrod wrote:When I started going back through the Crimson catalog after discovering "Discipline" several years ago, and reacquainting myself with their amazing music by buying the studio remasters, Lizard absolutely blew me away. Everything on this amazing album is magical, all the way from the combined personnel to the beautiful music. I was most impressed however by the Lizard track itself, and how it was structured with the Bolero parts, and the awe inspiring vocals of Jon Anderson. Incredible arrangements, the Tippett keyboards, the brass section, and of course Collin's melodic sax and Fripp's typical jaw dropping guitar. Pure bliss, and of course CirKus, one of Crimson's all time great songs, along with the other tracks make this a gem of an album, and a Crimhead's wet dream.
I was just now thinking about the Jaws Of Life
how they chew you up and spit you right
back into the frying pan
Dog_none
Projizzle Dizzle Nizzle

Postby Dog_none on Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:49 pm

Dog_none wrote:Lizard is one of my favorites. Indy described pretty well what I think of it.

To me, this album stands out as being the most unique of any Crimson album, which is quite an achievement seeing as all of their albums are pretty unique!

Lizard is a masterpiece of weirdness.
I was just now thinking about the Jaws Of Life
how they chew you up and spit you right
back into the frying pan
Dog_none
Projizzle Dizzle Nizzle

Postby Owen on Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:11 am

Lizard's ugliness is its beauty.

O!
The Point Moot one minute bass solos project is at http://pointmootsolo.bandcamp.com/
Moot-tube: http://www.youtube.com/user/pointmoot
The perfect holiday destination: http://point-moot.blogspot.com
Musicommentary: http://mootmobile.blogspot.com
Owen
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby Gilesfan on Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:12 am

vrooom wrote: Compared to ITWOP and Islands, it is actually a more complete album, despite its reputation.

I agree with this assessment. Lizard has a lot more "focus" than In The Wake Of Poseidon (which I still think has a lot of "filler" on it) and Islands, which is wonderful, yet very melancholic for the most part. I find Lizard much easier to listen to.
Gilesfan
Gilesfan
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby Guest on Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:28 pm

Lizard is unique thus there play wonderful jazz musicians from Keith Tippett team. This is the must jazz-avant King Crimson album they ever did.
Lizard reflects Fripp's progression towards a welding of jazz and progressive rock, drawing from the most exciting regions of bouth.
One of my favourite album

PreviousNext

Return to The Albums