free counter with statistics
:: ProjeKction - King Crimson NET :: • View topic - Lizard (1970)

Lizard (1970)

Post all your thoughts on King Crimson albums here.

Lizard (1970)

Postby vrooom on Sat Apr 17, 2004 11:31 am

<center>Image</center>

Your thoughts about this album to be posted here - so feel free to talk about your first listen, what you like about this album, what you don't like, etc.

Darren
vrooom
Button Pusher

Postby Lemmings on Tue May 04, 2004 4:26 am

Wow, I am surprised no one posted for this album! :shock:

This is my favorite King Crimson album. Along with Soft Machine's Third, this has a special meaning to me. I would never be able to tire from these two albums. The uniqueness of this album really attracts me. Though Lizard is not highly regarded, I do not blame them for not praise this album. I am sort of glad they(who ever they may be) did not praise it.
Lemmings

Postby Indyrod on Tue May 04, 2004 8:16 pm

When I started going back through the Crimson catalog after discovering "Discipline" several years ago, and reacquainting myself with their amazing music by buying the studio remasters, Lizard absolutely blew me away. Everything on this amazing album is magical, all the way from the combined personnel to the beautiful music. I was most impressed however by the Lizard track itself, and how it was structured with the Bolero parts, and the awe inspiring vocals of Jon Anderson. Incredible arrangements, the Tippett keyboards, the brass section, and of course Collin's melodic sax and Fripp's typical jaw dropping guitar. Pure bliss, and of course CirKus, one of Crimson's all time great songs, along with the other tracks make this a gem of an album, and a Crimhead's wet dream.
Indyrod
Permanently Temporary ProjeKction Admin

Postby Dog_none on Tue May 04, 2004 9:07 pm

Lizard is one of my favorites. Indy described pretty well what I think of it.

To me, this album stands out as being the most unique of any Crimson album, which is quite an achievement seeing as all of their albums are pretty unique!
I was just now thinking about the Jaws Of Life
how they chew you up and spit you right
back into the frying pan
Dog_none
Projizzle Dizzle Nizzle

Postby RYG on Tue May 04, 2004 10:15 pm

This album is definitely a favorite of mine too. Lizard is the stand-out track of course but all five tracks are very good in their own right. The funny thing about the suite of songs in Lizard is that whenever I listen to this album with headphones at night the "Bolero" portion of the song always lulls me to sleep (in a good way -- I think its the hypnotic beat that continues throughout this part of the song) and then when the song kicks in again, it ALWAYS jars me awake into a sweat.

No matter how many times I listen to it it does it to me.

Another big attraction to this album is the cover art. It doesn't grab you in the way that ITCOTKC album cover does, of course, but it does mave a lot going on in it. I like the way each panel goes with a song (or parts of songs within the Lizard suite). I especially like the panel with the Beatles on it.

Anyway, this one has been deemed by RF as an "ugly step-child" but I really think that this album holds up well.

I also think the recent remaster of this one really benefitted from the remastering process as most of this album really comes alive and individual instruments are much more prevalent than before.
My favorite movies (right now):
"Lost In Translation", "Mulholland Drive", "Pulp Fiction", "Sin City", "Buffalo '66", "Ghost World", "Apocolypse Now (Redux)", "Donnie Darko", "Raising Arizona", "Shawshank Redemption"
RYG
ProjeKction Freak

Postby Lemmings on Wed May 05, 2004 12:33 am

Glad you members enjoy this album as much as I do! :D
Lemmings

Postby Dog_none on Wed May 05, 2004 1:49 am

RYG wrote:This album is definitely a favorite of mine too. Lizard is the stand-out track of course but all five tracks are very good in their own right. The funny thing about the suite of songs in Lizard is that whenever I listen to this album with headphones at night the "Bolero" portion of the song always lulls me to sleep (in a good way -- I think its the hypnotic beat that continues throughout this part of the song) and then when the song kicks in again, it ALWAYS jars me awake into a sweat.

No matter how many times I listen to it it does it to me.

This is funny, I have had that exact experience several times!
I was just now thinking about the Jaws Of Life
how they chew you up and spit you right
back into the frying pan
Dog_none
Projizzle Dizzle Nizzle

Postby MiKcrobe on Wed May 05, 2004 6:09 pm

I've posted several times about how much I like Lizard. "Cirkus" is certainly a classic and one of my top Crim favorites. Unfortunately, this is the one song that the Islands-era live band was never able to quite capture. Since I was already a Yes fan before discovering King Crimson, hearing Jon Anderson do a guest vocal on a KC album was a treat, all the more so because it seemed such a bizarre combination. Hearing him sing those lyrics gave me a laugh. Only JA could sing "stake a lizard by the throat" with the exact same airy inflection as if he were singing "picking flowers by the road."

My favorite section of the entire album is The Battle of Glass Tears, the way it opens with the atmospheric "Dawn Song," possibly Haskell's best number on the album (after the maniacal scream in "Cirkus"); then all hell breaks lose in "Last Skirmish"; finally culminating in what is possibly Fripp's best solo ever in "Prince Ruper's Lament." This piece exists in a realm somewhere between being a film score and a programmatic symphony.

Closing the album with "Big Top" serves to frame the set as some kind of mad circus.
Walking out's just another metaphor.
MiKcrobe
ProjeKction Participant

Postby Gilesfan on Mon May 17, 2004 6:30 am

The album I never thought I would own! :shock: Picked it up in December and never regretted it. Simply fantastic. Considering what RF was going through in terms of personnel changes, the album is amazing.

Andy McCulloch joins the list of one of the most underrated drummers of all time. His playing is perfect for this album. His use of marimba, tympani and even the bell tree, adds lots of color and character to the music. By the way, whatever happened to the use of these in rock? :lol:

I never understood why Gordon Haskell got so much flack. :? For he and McCulloch to leave so quickly after the album shows how Fripp must have really been back then. :roll:

Strangely enough, the real outstanding performance on this album is not even by a member of King Crimson! :shock: The appearance of Jon Anderson of Yes on the title track is to me the album's highlight, along with the track itself. You know that voice when you hear it, and this is a track every Yes enthusiast must hear! :o
Gilesfan
Gilesfan
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby The Crimson Avenger on Mon May 17, 2004 3:36 pm

(I don't have anything positive to say about this record so I am contributing silence.)
The Crimson Avenger
ProjeKction Guru

Next

Return to The Albums