free counter with statistics
:: ProjeKction - King Crimson NET :: • View topic - KING CRIMSON: "LIVE IN CENTRAL PARK, NYC - 1974"

KING CRIMSON: "LIVE IN CENTRAL PARK, NYC - 1974"

Post all your reviews here - whether they are album reviews, gig reviews or DVD reviews.

Larks IV wrecked my car!

Postby Chip Orr on Wed May 14, 2003 2:13 pm

Actually, Malcolm, I do remember what part of Larks IV was playing when I was in a car accident (luckily, a minor fender bender that was more frightening than destructive). It was during Adrian's blistering solo.
Chip Orr
ProjeKction Freak

Postby MALCOLM XERXES™ on Wed May 14, 2003 2:45 pm

BLS,

I must definitely revisit that song!

CHIP,

I appreciate your taking the time to relive that event.

I know the very (style of) solo to which you refer, as something about the approach he takes to MR. DAVID CROSS'S Satanic Violin solo always makes me feel that my brain is melting.

"...NOT that there's anything WRONG with that!" :twisted: :wink:
MALCOLM XERXES™

Re: Larks IV wrecked my car!

Postby Indyrod on Wed May 14, 2003 5:56 pm

Chip Orr wrote:Actually, Malcolm, I do remember what part of Larks IV was playing when I was in a car accident (luckily, a minor fender bender that was more frightening than destructive). It was during Adrian's blistering solo.

Central Park, Adrian, Larks IV??? I'm getting confused, that is 1974, right?
Indyrod
Permanently Temporary ProjeKction Admin

Larks IV and Central Park

Postby Chip Orr on Wed May 14, 2003 7:45 pm

Sorry for the confusion, Indy!

I was listening to the TCoL version of Larks IV (Adrian's solo in particular) when a woman collided into the side of my car, forcing me off the road. No one was harmed, though my attentive listening was rudely interrupted.
Chip Orr
ProjeKction Freak

Postby MALCOLM XERXES™ on Wed May 14, 2003 9:41 pm

That was a complete change of perception for you & me, both!

Now I know exactly which solo you are referring to, & sonically, the collision fits in with it in the same way that a fire alarm fits in with "BREATHLESS".
:wink:
MALCOLM XERXES™

Postby Indyrod on Wed May 14, 2003 9:49 pm

MALCOLM XERXES wrote:CHIP,

I appreciate your taking the time to relive that event.

I know the very (style of) solo to which you refer, as something about the approach he takes to MR. DAVID CROSS'S Satanic Violin solo always makes me feel that my brain is melting.

What? David Cross played on Larks IV? You guys have not only confused me, you've confused each other. :o
Indyrod
Permanently Temporary ProjeKction Admin

Postby Gilesfan on Fri Sep 26, 2003 8:06 am

I just got Live in Central Park 07-01-74 KCCC #10 yesterday. Long overdue! I think you cannot find much better of an example of a band playing totally together. I think I like it even more than USA. I don't have The Great Deceiver yet.

I was amazed at each note played. And even more impressed at the impeccable performance of Larks Tongues In Aspic Part 2, despite the evidentally uncontrollabe feedback, which even continues after the end of the song. Total professionalism!

This was this line-up's last gig. What a perfect finish to a great band!

Fripp was not sure about whether the listener could hear or feel what he described as, "something magical". Believe me Robert, it is there! :D
Gilesfan
Gilesfan
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby MALCOLM XERXES™ on Fri Sep 26, 2003 9:34 am

GILESFAN,

You have compelled me to revisit this album, based largely upon your comparison of it to KING CRIMSON: U.S.A.

...For which I do thank you! 8)
MALCOLM XERXES™

Postby Sebastian Knight on Fri Sep 26, 2003 11:25 am

The most surprising moment for me in this recording is "The Talking Drum". Generally speaking, the game plan for TD is to start rather quiet, slowly build in intensity for about 4-5 minutes, then eventually get loud and raucous. In Central Park, on the other hand, they start TD at 10, and eventually take it to 11. The obvious danger is that if you start off going full tilt boogie, it's going to be difficult to sustain that level of intensity for the next 6 minutes. KC manages it. The only trouble is that LTIA2 sounds almost redundant afterwards.

(Conversely, on the studio version of TD, they start sort of quiet and gradually build to about a 6. woo. )
Sebastian Knight

Postby MALCOLM XERXES™ on Fri Sep 26, 2003 3:17 pm

BLASPHEMY! :wink:
MALCOLM XERXES™

PreviousNext

Return to Reviews