free counter with statistics
:: ProjeKction - King Crimson NET :: • View topic - KING CRIMSON: "LIVE IN CENTRAL PARK, NYC - 1974"

KING CRIMSON: "LIVE IN CENTRAL PARK, NYC - 1974"

Post all your reviews here - whether they are album reviews, gig reviews or DVD reviews.

KING CRIMSON: "LIVE IN CENTRAL PARK, NYC - 1974"

Postby MALCOLM XERXES™ on Mon May 12, 2003 7:56 pm

When first I received this concert in the post, I was a bit dismissive, due to the extensive coverage of that period in THE GREAT DECEIVER box set.

However, today, I listened to it on headphones for the first time, on Random Mode, & found that there are subtleties to the performance of various tracks that I had missed when I played it on my JVC™ stereo system.

Exempli gratia: the rendition of "EASY MONEY" is quite gripping insofar as the contributions of THIS FRIPP. "FRACTURE" & "STARLESS": 'Nuff said!
8)

MR. DAVID CROSS can be heard quite well, this time around, especially his MELLOTRON™ work, which is less forward than other players of that instrument.
Last edited by MALCOLM XERXES™ on Mon May 12, 2003 9:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MALCOLM XERXES™

Re: KING CRIMSON: "LIVE IN CENTRAL PARK, NYC - 1974&quo

Postby OSMIRC on Mon May 12, 2003 8:40 pm

MALCOLM XERXES wrote:When first I received this concert in the post, I was a bit dismissive, due to the extensive coverage of that period in THE GREAT DECEIVER box set.

However, today, I listened to it on headphones for the first time, on Random Mode, & fond that there are subtleties to the performance of various tracks that I had missed when I played it on my JVCâ„¢ stereo system.

Heh, heh, 'subtleties' is not the first word that comes to my mind with respect to this album. Back before the KCCC release, this show circulated widely in less legitimate formats and was nearly responsible for at least three car wrecks in my immediate circle of friends.

In general, listening to KC in the car is a dubious move, until you're absolutely sure that there are no surprises left in a particular recording. Which of course, leads to a dangerous false sense of security.

I think I will go home now, and listen to the Central Park show.
OSMIRC

Postby ChewChewGumChew on Mon May 12, 2003 9:02 pm

Fripp's Schizoid Man solo is probably my favorite solo from that era. Wait, now that I think about it, it may be my favorite ever. Blistering.
Dig me, but don't bury me.
ChewChewGumChew
ProjeKction Freak

Postby MALCOLM XERXES™ on Mon May 12, 2003 9:20 pm

OSMIRC,

I find that fascinating!

What were the pieces or moments therein that brought about such calamitous cacophony?

CHEW,

Now, I must listen to that track, again!

What is it that he gives you in that solo that he doesn't elsewhere?
MALCOLM XERXES™

Postby ChewChewGumChew on Mon May 12, 2003 10:09 pm

Just listen to it!!! Amazing energy.
Dig me, but don't bury me.
ChewChewGumChew
ProjeKction Freak

KC and car accidents

Postby Chip Orr on Mon May 12, 2003 10:33 pm

I was once in a minor collision that occurred during a particularly loud and energetic portion of Larks IV. It seemed fitting (though it was not my fault at all).
Chip Orr
ProjeKction Freak

Postby Indyrod on Mon May 12, 2003 11:25 pm

Note to self:
After listening to "Moles Club" again tonite, with due respect being a primary motivation, play "Central Park" again, LOUD..
Everyone thinks I'm psychotic, except for my friends deep inside the earth.

de gustibus non est disputandum
Indyrod
Permanently Temporary ProjeKction Admin

Postby OSMIRC on Tue May 13, 2003 3:23 pm

MALCOLM XERXES wrote:OSMIRC,

I find that fascinating!

What were the pieces or moments therein that brought about such calamitous cacophony?

Boy, I don't remember for sure. There is a moment in there of such absolute evil that my mind seizes up and loses track of where it is. I awaken half an hour later in a bath of ice with both kidneys missing.

Looking at the setlist, I'm pretty sure it's either during Fracture or The Talking Drum.

I played this disc last night, but after 21CSM, I realized I didn't have the stamina to make it throug the rest of the show...
OSMIRC

Postby MALCOLM XERXES™ on Wed May 14, 2003 5:53 am

CHIP ORR,

I don't suppose that you could describe which section of "LARKS' TONGUES IN ASPIC, Part 4" it might be, by any chance?

I played both versions of it today, preceded by Part 3, so it's especially a curiosity for me.

OSMIRC,

I thank you for reliving the ordeal shared by JAY during his Cannabis sativa delirium.
MALCOLM XERXES™

Postby blsoldcheese on Wed May 14, 2003 8:56 am

After giving this one a listen (it's been quite a while) I will have to say that the "21stCSM" solo is indeed incredible. I have no idea how Fripp got that screeching, insane sound out of his guitar, but it's just crazy. It's probably not the best song to open a set with, but then again it was a special show. I'm wondering if it's a complete show: most of the songs meld seamlessly together, yet I sort of doubt that KC would perform an only 70+ minute show, unless as an opening act.

The sound quality isn't as bad as I remember it. It's actually quite good for an audience recording, even if you hear the occasional banter during or between songs (someone talks at the beginning of "Starless", and you can hear a guy with a thick accent shout "Cat Food!"). Things get a little messy with Larks Tonue II, seems like either the guitar or violin is feeding back uncontrollably, but it's a great show. It's fairly standard for that era, aside from the 21stCSM, there's little or no improvising, but it's an essential for fans of that lineup.

Me
blsoldcheese

Next

Return to Reviews