free counter with statistics
:: ProjeKction - King Crimson NET :: • View topic - Live at the Hackney Empire 07 September 2015

Live at the Hackney Empire 07 September 2015

Post all your reviews here - whether they are album reviews, gig reviews or DVD reviews.

Live at the Hackney Empire 07 September 2015

Postby vrooom on Tue Sep 08, 2015 4:26 pm

Here are some thoughts -

vrooom
Button Pusher

Re: Live at the Hackney Empire 07 September 2015

Postby MrKayley10 on Tue Sep 08, 2015 5:45 pm

Any chance of a written review of the Tour Box? Since you say it´s a "must have"...
MrKayley10
ProjeKction Abecedarian

Postby diderot on Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:31 pm

At first I thought there wouldn't be much difference from the 2014 one, but... let's pre-order from Burning Shed or DGM.
Diderot
diderot
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby vrooom on Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:11 pm

The 2015 edition is completely different - it does contain some stuff you might have already from the various 40th reissues - but there are a couple of tracks I've not heard like the instrumental "Absent Lovers" or "Larks III/Sleepless". I do like these Tour Box things! :D
vrooom
Button Pusher

Postby diderot on Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:27 pm

vrooom wrote:The 2015 edition is completely different - it does contain some stuff you might have already from the various 40th reissues - but there are a couple of tracks I've not heard like the instrumental "Absent Lovers" or "Larks III/Sleepless". I do like these Tour Box things! :D

I'm not sure if it's the same, but I have a Larks Pt III Into Sleepless that was available as hot tickle.
Diderot
diderot
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby vrooom on Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:38 am

Yeah, it might be the same. It is taken from the forthcoming TOAPP reissue. If you have everything already, then there's a good chance this set is superfluous to you. However, I just enjoy these Tourbox sets as an interesting compilation to listen to.
vrooom
Button Pusher

Postby MrKayley10 on Thu Sep 10, 2015 3:51 pm

vrooom wrote:Yeah, it might be the same. It is taken from the forthcoming TOAPP reissue. If you have everything already, then there's a good chance this set is superfluous to you. However, I just enjoy these Tourbox sets as an interesting compilation to listen to.

Funny you should say that, Darren. Over the last year it might be the KC album I´ve listened to most regularly. The other day I was listening to LTIA and at the end of the autoharp violin section of Larks I, I excepcted Fracture to come in! :?
An enjoyable listen, to be sure. The Sailor's Tale was quite a revelation. What does the new Cat Food consist of?
MrKayley10
ProjeKction Abecedarian

Postby Krimzep on Fri Sep 11, 2015 3:07 am

I just finished watching your video! I want you to know that I have listened to a few of the shows from last year and came to the exact same conclusions as you did. As I watched my son said, "Dad you said all the same shit" I don't like the 3 drummers and the set list bounced all around and the drum improvs are boring. I still would go to see them because like you I have been a fan of this band through all its' incarnations, but this one is ROUUGGHHHHH!!!!!!

I get the feeling they could do better with less.
Krimzep
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby vrooom on Mon Sep 14, 2015 6:10 pm

Krimzep, I think the "new" version of the band is great for those looking for nostalgia but hard on us fanatics who are seeking a new thrill.
vrooom
Button Pusher

Postby Krimzep on Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:16 pm

vrooom wrote:Krimzep, I think the "new" version of the band is great for those looking for nostalgia but hard on us fanatics who are seeking a new thrill.

I agree, The older pieces are a good listen but with the new stuff interspersed the show falters because the new isn't all that to begin with. I feel Robert is going with the wrong kind of lineup if he wants "new blood" in the form of fans.

The music was always cutting edge and felt like a product of the times even when they were ahead of the curve. The new line up isn't providing any new thrills at all. instead, we have three drummers struggling to reproduce what Bill and then Bill and pat were able to do with ease and the music seems like a product of the times that the musicians are feeling, which is old age. Instead of looking confident while standing on solid ground and playing with imagination and abandon we have a band which seems to be standing on shaky ground and its worrying the players.

Maybe I'm wrong on that but that is my impression and I feel after 35 years of hardcore listening that it's not too far off.
Krimzep
ProjeKction Godlike

Next

Return to Reviews