free counter with statistics
:: ProjeKction - King Crimson NET :: • View topic - HBC Super Trio @ Bourbon Street - Sao Paulo - Aug 13th, 2014

HBC Super Trio @ Bourbon Street - Sao Paulo - Aug 13th, 2014

Post all your reviews here - whether they are album reviews, gig reviews or DVD reviews.

HBC Super Trio @ Bourbon Street - Sao Paulo - Aug 13th, 2014

Postby diderot on Sun Aug 17, 2014 4:28 am

HBC Suppert Trio is Scott Henderson (guitar), Jeff Berlin (bass) and Billy Cobham (drums)

At first it was not the 'original' HBC Super Trio as Dennis Chambers was ill in Spain and he was replaced by Billy Cobham, although Scott joked during the show that he'd prefer Charlie Watts as the new "C" of the band...

Scott started with his pedal effects and echo to my surprise (I haven't heard him) and the song worked mainly with him soloing, then a solo by Jeff and finaly by Billy. It worked this way for the first tunes showing Billy in good shape, beating strong and well rehearsed.
After the second or third tune Jeff said that it was the very first time they were playing together, and I must say they were tight as they've playing for years! Then both praised Billy saying it was hard to believe they were playing with him, like a dream, etc. Hence Bill got up from his stool and made up as giving money to both of them.

I'm not familiar to their work, so I don't know the setlist and Scott also lost some minutes trying to find it (!). He went backstage to look for it and then found it close to Billy drum set. With the setlist in his hands he said that it was about the jokes he would tell during the show and started telling about the little piano player that went to a bar...

The fourth (or fifth) song was Beatles' "Come Together", and at the middle of the show Scott left and Jeff played "Tears in Heaven" alone with a light accompaniment of Billy thru the end.

Back to stage Scott started philosophizing about the meaning of life and that he had found the answer; then he pull one of his CDs off and said he would be selling them after the show. Then Jeff continued saying that he didn't have any CD to sell, but we could find them in his online store, that he was recently married and his wife wanted a new car...

The show lasted around 90 minutes and the people waited for an encore that didn't happen. After a few minutes Scott went to the stage and told us that they didn't have more songs to play and he started selling and signing his CDs for the joy of his fans. I got Tribal Tech's "X".

It was a great show, with great music with a lot of funny jokes. They play fusion, but except for Jeff's bass lines, I could consider them as a rock trio. Maybe I'm not used to the new jazz guitar.

About Bourbon Street - it is a small jazz/blues/rock venue (400 people max) where I've seen Robben Ford, Ike Willis, Marcus Miller, Stefon Harris, John Pizzarelli and Cat Power among others. This week is happening a New Orleans Festival with several bands and musicians from there, including Allen Toussaint.
This time I stood near the bar, just behind the last table.
Diderot
diderot
ProjeKction Godlike

Re: HBC Super Trio @ Bourbon Street - Sao Paulo - Aug 13th, 2014

Postby jtmack on Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:14 pm

Great review thanks for giving it. Scott over does it sometimes..... Too bad DC could make it I've read he's been sick and was in the hospital for a while..... He (DC) is probability the best drummer in the jazz world it's a treat to see him.
jtmack
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby diderot on Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:44 pm

Thanks jt!

Scott didn't abuse of his tricks, and I learnt to appreciate them. :wink:

It was really great to see Billy Cobham playing, but I'll try to catch Dennis Chambers when he gets better.
Diderot
diderot
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby MarkSullivan on Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:11 am

Yes, thanks for the review. I'd have a hard time picking between Dennis Chambers and Billy Cobham. Both terrific, muscular players, but this band would probably sound different depending on who was in the drum chair.
MarkSullivan
ProjeKction Godlike

Return to Reviews