free counter with statistics
:: ProjeKction - King Crimson NET :: • View topic - King Crimson Project

King Crimson Project

Post all your reviews here - whether they are album reviews, gig reviews or DVD reviews.

King Crimson Project

Postby Krimzep on Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:56 pm

I have been listening to a recent Kc project show and I have to say that its a waste of time all the way around. Same set list played almost the same every night. How can these guys pull this shit? dont they even realize they are taking a piss on the legacy of King Crimson by repeating themselves show after show tour after tour.

On the surface you might think the KC part of the show was going to be something but after a lame B'boom and Thrak its back to the same ole same ole.

Stick men had great potential and now they are just going through the motions too. They put out that improv album and now they play Open part 2 or 3, it doesnt matter what they call it its the same fucking thing time after time. Breathless is no longer a rarity since they have been playing it since 2011. The Firebird suite is no longer sweet. Still playing Lark's p2 BORING!!

Unlike the KC of the 70's the improvs have become nothing more than pieces which they play almost the same every night and call it improv. Its total bullshit. the Stick Men now have a huge repertoire to draw from but they simply ignore their best stuff in order to play the same ole shit night after night.

Aides band is also playing the same shit over and over. With all the music these guys have under their belts you'd think they could mix it up over time but they dont.

When the Stickmens latest album was named DEEP I had no idea they were talking about the rut they are in.

I am completely disappointed in these guys.
Krimzep
ProjeKction Godlike

Re: King Crimson Project

Postby vrooom on Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:33 pm

I hear ya!

They are all wallowing in the depths of nostalgia. It's one of the reasons I didn't see them recently in the UK. Why would I want to go and see a KC tribute band (unless that tribute band plays something different like the 21st Century Schizoid Band used to do)? The whole King Crimson thing is dead and buried. We are done. Move on.

The same goes for the Stick Men who manage to peddle the same sounding stuff - again tapping a vein of music which KC were exploring nearly 20 years ago. It's nuts. It is certainly no way progressive or in the spirit of the original band. Great musicians who are just creatively scratching their balls in front of an adoring audience that will eat that shit up.

I'm hoping that the revitalised King Crimson will bring something new to the table with the three drummers and the more Anglicised line-up. I predict it will be brutal and primitive in equal measures.
vrooom
Button Pusher

Postby Krimzep on Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:53 pm

vrooom wrote:I hear ya!

They are all wallowing in the depths of nostalgia. It's one of the reasons I didn't see them recently in the UK. Why would I want to go and see a KC tribute band (unless that tribute band plays something different like the 21st Century Schizoid Band used to do)? The whole King Crimson thing is dead and buried. We are done. Move on.

The same goes for the Stick Men who manage to peddle the same sounding stuff - again tapping a vein of music which KC were exploring nearly 20 years ago. It's nuts. It is certainly no way progressive or in the spirit of the original band. Great musicians who are just creatively scratching their balls in front of an adoring audience that will eat that shit up.

I'm hoping that the revitalised King Crimson will bring something new to the table with the three drummers and the more Anglicised line-up. I predict it will be brutal and primitive in equal measures.

I certainly hope you're right. Something new and unheard that allows the musicians to push, pull or stretch without loosing the overall intention of the piece.
Krimzep
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby vrooom on Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:24 pm

I trust Fripp inherently - he has never let me down. (Except for the quality control of DGM releases)
vrooom
Button Pusher

Postby Krimzep on Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:04 pm

Ok I was a bit harsh on the Crims in this thread. I had to do some sonic improvements to be able to hear extra detail and that helped a lot. I used the term lame to describe B'boom, after listening again its actually better than I thought but still not as good as the original idea. The preceding soundscape is really a lot of noise rushing about and doesn't seem to have any "spirit" if you will but Pat and Tobias are trying hard to convince and create a fairly bouncy interlude that had me tapping my foot. Something else I hadn't noticed was Aide doing an acoustic version of ITCOTCK. Short, off key but still an effort to do something different as I have never heard it before and he says he only did one other time long ago.

Still I wish it were more like the old days instead of the new.
Krimzep
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby diderot on Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:58 pm

I don't think the soundscapes are just noise or lacking spirit.

You can check the latest opening soundscapes at Soundcloud.

By the way, I'd like to check your recording. PM please!
Diderot
diderot
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby vrooom on Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:13 pm

They are just a cover band - nothing more, nothing less...
vrooom
Button Pusher

Postby Krimzep on Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:43 am

vrooom wrote:They are just a cover band - nothing more, nothing less...

I agree but if I have to see a cover band play Kc I want it to be these guys.
Krimzep
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby jtmack on Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:22 am

vrooom wrote:They are just a cover band - nothing more, nothing less...

Cover band? Really? The same people who wrote and played on the original records are not what I'd consider a cover band. Agreed they could work on the set list and maybe do some Projekcting in the form of a new tune or two. As far as Stick Man go I just seen them a few months ago and I loved them... I read something about trusting Fripp bah bah bah so three drummers is somehow bring new life to the music? I hope your right. By your own definition is this not a cover band too? Anytime any of the former Crims come to town I go see them and I'm never disappointed.
jtmack
ProjeKction Godlike

Return to Reviews