free counter with statistics
:: ProjeKction - King Crimson NET :: • View topic - Larks' Tongues, THE BOX

Larks' Tongues, THE BOX

Post all your reviews here - whether they are album reviews, gig reviews or DVD reviews.

Re: Larks' Tongues, THE BOX

Postby TomVos on Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:57 pm

Yep, South America - Brazil- Belo Horizonte --->borough of Santo Antônio HA!
TomVos
ProjeKction Abecedarian

Postby TomVos on Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:45 am

Anyways, here it goes: Hull.

HOLY SHIT that's untampered energy in a concert. And the amount of bootleggy dirt'n'grime that has been removed is a wonder to behold (that's hyperbole, but damn, you can HEAR EVERYTHING. Perhaps Fripp is a bit low. Bill and Jamie fight for the loudest spot. Hm.) The band is in fine form and just COOKIN' - listen to 'LTIA I' during the wah wah bass part (the third part before the violin solo or whatever - call some bullshit 'expert' and he can name this sorta stuff - not me) and compare it to past performances. I mean - pfft. Fripp does his talky bit, introducing what has been played before the improv, saying that 'LTIA II' will conclude the show and bammo - into a blow, and it's one fuckin' intense affair. The interplay is funky - heck Cross on a VIOLIN sounds funky, which is to me what sets KC '72-'74 apart from other progressive bands - the capability of adding that black musical influence in instead of just mixing jazz and classical until it's just a launchpad for some really WHITE music. Fripp's sound isn't quite fleshed out yet (considering this lineup's endeavors without Jamie) but when he solos, it's almost a 'Baby's On Fire' intensity meshed with really nice rhythmic lines that remind you of 80's KC meshed with that fast chordal thingie he does that makes it seem like an industrial machine. Other parts remind me of even Zappa's 60's Mothers, what with the spontaineity and general chaotic feeling. It's as if they're REALLY going for that gut feeling rather than being just, once again that 'academic' kinda prog rock. and God bless John Wetton. I didn't say 'funky' for naught. Sounds like it's gonna fall apart every second yet morphs into something new. Amazing. I think I've just ever been as excited with a KC improv before with 'Journey To The Centre Of The Cosmos' and this is nothing like it. The end is a beautiful understated sorta 'Prince Rupert's Lament' thing, but Jamie's in the background making the bizarrest noises ever. They start clunkily - probably on purpose - again and build up to your usual noisy KC ending, and yet, when the transition is made to Exiles, it's all smooth and GREAT. And 'Exiles' is just as great, despite a little technical problem (read on...).
Look. I HAD to describe this improv cos it's so impressive that THIS SURE WASN'T WHAT I'VE HEARD ON WIDE RECEIVER. I SWEAR.
'Exiles' goes okay for me. I couldn't give a crap about out of tune mellotrons and violins. I'd appreciate it a lot better, but - c'mon, look at twhat the dudes did for half an hour straight before that! The crowd seems to be lovin it after it all ends, but the show must go on.
And they do one mf'in AWESOME 'Easy Money'. JUst hear me out. This was a band in its beginning, and it sounds like they've been at it for YEARS! Just to be annoying - The 'Fallen Angel' improv is great, (it sounds like Music Improvisation Company in spots! HOLY SHIT!!!) Talking drum is great, 'LTIA II' still has a bit of fat tissue to be removed but it's great and then....
I never expected Schizoid Man to rule that much given that the only renditions I've heard (WR has just half this concert and half of Oxford's) were the Cosmic Muir boot and the Rainbow boot (forgot its name, or is it the other way around with Portsmouth?) and ther sound was nowhere near like this.
It's a drum battle! BEST VERSION EVER. I love this band. Have a good nite!

(EDIT: I NAMED THE BOOTS THE WRONG WAY AROUND. CM IS PORTSMOUTH AND WR IS HULL/OXFORD)
Last edited by TomVos on Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
TomVos
ProjeKction Abecedarian

Postby diderot on Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:08 am

Geno wrote:
jtmack wrote:You guys convinced me to buy it, now I'll just have to wait for someone to down size their collection to pick up a copy.

It's only sold out at DGM - they've still got some at Burning Shed.

Mine was pre-ordered from Burning Shed and it arrived last Tuesday. As DGM is the official site for KC merch it's natural it goes sold out first...

I started with studio reels - "Keep that one Nick", a continue 80-minute beast although I'd suggest track divisions. Maybe I'll edit a copy for internal consumption.

I've listened to the 5.1 mix and sometimes it seems to be a completely different album! :shock: We are able to identify each instrument with all details that shows how Muir's work was essencial to the band! Cross' violin so clear that you can almost feel him in the room.

Then I took a quick look at the videos and understood why Larks appears twice... I'll let those who haven't seen it yet to discover. :wink:
Diderot
diderot
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby Indyrod on Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:12 pm

I'm getting pissed, I just got a message from Amazon, that the cd/dvd new Larks release, has been put back another two weeks. What the fuck is going on, that everybody seems to be getting this, but for some reason, Amazon isn't getting their supply? :evil: I did receive today from Burning Shed, the PT "Octane Twisted" double live cds/dvd release, so at least Burning Shed ships when they say they are going to, but this Larks deal is a fiasco as far as I'm concerned, they must be selling very very well, or else they just can't produce them in a timely matter. Whatever the reason, it sucks...
Everyone thinks I'm psychotic, except for my friends deep inside the earth.

de gustibus non est disputandum
Indyrod
Permanently Temporary ProjeKction Admin

Postby Indyrod on Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:46 pm

believe it or not, but Amazon has AGAIN today, pushed this back ANOTHER two weeks, now it's about three weeks off before shipping. Is this selling so well from the other sites, that they are running out of supply or what???? this is getting very frustrating, and I wish I had ordered it, even though it was more expensive, from Burning Shed. where did you guys order yours from, that you have it all ready? I'm about ready to cancel from Amazon, and try another seller. :evil:

Indyrod

Postby vrooom on Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:44 pm

As I sit here caressing my copy of the Larks' Tongues in Aspic 40th anniversary box set, I say: "Mwaaahaahahaaahaaa - I wish you were here to see it!"

But I got mine from Burning Shed - it was cheaper there than my local Amazon - and the service is always good. Saying that, if you pre-order, you often get cheaper deals on Amazon UK. Sorry to hear about your problems, Indy, remember that this is supposedly a highly limited release so you might want to cancel your Amazon order and get it from a supplier that actually has stock of it, despite the higher price.
vrooom
Button Pusher

Postby Indyrod on Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:32 pm

limited supply? I thought only the Box Set was a limited release, not the cd/dvd option. I don't really want to switch sellers, because Amazon HAS to be a big seller for them, so maybe the supply needs to catch up with the demand, if that's the case.

Indyrod

Postby Indyrod on Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:22 pm

just noticed, even at DGM, it is still listed as a preorder (with no date)... so I don't know where else to order it, to be sure it is in supply.

Indyrod

Postby vrooom on Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:46 pm

Indyrod wrote:limited supply? I thought only the Box Set was a limited release, not the cd/dvd option. I don't really want to switch sellers, because Amazon HAS to be a big seller for them, so maybe the supply needs to catch up with the demand, if that's the case.

Sorry, I thought you were talking about the box set. Oh, the regular release is out and about. Not sure why Amazon is failing you on that one. Sorry for my mistake. :oops:
vrooom
Button Pusher

Postby diderot on Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:05 am

I've read that the merchandise to be sold in US would be made in US, and that they were waiting for the masters (not sure if there are just one or waiting for a copy from Europe).

I know it's very strange, but it can explain the delay... Has anyone ordered it from DGM? Maybe it's delayed too.
Diderot
diderot
ProjeKction Godlike

PreviousNext

Return to Reviews