free counter with statistics
:: ProjeKction - King Crimson NET :: • View topic - Steven Wilson - 21-04-2012, Sao Paulo

Steven Wilson - 21-04-2012, Sao Paulo

Post all your reviews here - whether they are album reviews, gig reviews or DVD reviews.

Steven Wilson - 21-04-2012, Sao Paulo

Postby diderot on Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:36 am

--- SPOILER --- too many details of the show. You have been warned!

Amazing show! ... that begins at least half hour before the band get into the stage. You get into the venue and then you note the music: while at King Crinsom shows we get used to Fripp soundscapes before it begins, at Steven Wilson's we have a guitar drone that resembles a low rotation motor with subtle tone changes.
When we are looking for a good place to see the show we see a transparent screen in front of the stage that shows images that, at first I thought it were photos, stactic, but after a closer look we identified subtle movements. The first projection showed a beach when there was someone wrapped in a white cloth whose edge is slowly fluttering. Then it gets closer and we identify it with the pics Lasse Hoile did for "Grace for Drowning" album. The next projection is a window seen from inside showing the outside. Without any noticeable change for a long time suddenly appears in a figure which moves away till it leaves the framework. Minutes later it appears in the window to the delight of the audience.
That's when the show begins: behind the screen we see Marco Minnemann start playing in a kind of warm up and the band came one by one and playing loud, Nick Beggs on bass, Niko Tsonev on guitar, Adam Holzman on keyboards and Theo Travis on flute/sax/clarinet. That initial warm up/jam is "No Twilight Within the Courts of the Sun" intro. Steven Wilson enters the stage shortly before whispering the song and joined the band in the instrumental part. At the end of the song we know what to expect from them.
At the beginning of the show Steven was excited, a kind of hyperactive Frank Zappa conducting the band and closely following each solo and the respective musician. At various times he conducted the music to the audience, which is gradually followed by them who knew the music development. I thought it was just in the beginning, but he did it till the end!
I don't recall exactly when but probably during the third song, when we get used to the screen and the projected images, they dropped it and we can see the band more clearly. The projected images remain in the background, but sometimes overshadowed by the stage lighting.
Marco, precise and heavy was cheered by the audience to a point that to Steven emphasized that the band was formed by great musicians beyond Marco... He anticipated that was writing songs for a new album and thinking about these musicians to record with. This shows the respect and the quality of these musicians!
Most of songs Steven only sings, playing rhythm guitar or keyboard on some of them and two or three solos/lead. Theo Travis left his mark on the show, being remembered by Steven and the audience as the 'flute guy', despite having played clarinet and sax ... His presence in the band can be a King Crimson influence (Ian McDonald and Mel Collins), though Theo had already appeared on no-man albums.
Adam was fantastic and reminded me of Rick Wakeman in the short but elaborate piano solos. Nick did a great partnership with Marco and I enjoyed watching him play Chapman stick. Niko was good enough to keep Steven singing most of time. Who had hard work was Steven roadie who delivered and picked up the guitar to him, for up to three times in the same song!
Highlights of the show: "No Twilight...", "Deform to Form a Star", "Harmony Korine", "Luminol", "Raider II" and "Get All You Deserve" at the encore, when all of them wear a mask and Steven wears the gas mask from the "Insurgentes" album cover.
"Luminol," a long piece that must be in the new album, resembled me of Yes in the early '70s.
The sound was great. On several songs we heard some noises in the background working like a surround and perfectly fit with the music. Every song was played like the album, but arranged for the stage with an unexpected power only to states what we know: Steven Wilson is a f*%#ng great producer.
Setlist (almost the same for this tour since US West Coast):
No Twilight Within the Courts of the Sun
Index
Deform to Form a Star
Sectarian
Postcard
Remainder the Black Dog
Harmony Korine
Abandoner
Like Dust I Have Cleared From My Eye
Luminol (new song)
No Part of Me
Raider II

Encore:
Get All You Deserve

Encore 2 - Steven on acoustic guitar:
Lazarus (Porcupine Tree song)
Trains (Porcupine Tree song)

He explained that the second encore was for Porcupine Tree fans in South America where the band had never played before...

One of the best shows I've seen!
Diderot
diderot
ProjeKction Godlike

Re: Steven Wilson - 21-04-2012, Sao Paulo

Postby jtmack on Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:30 pm

Great review almost makes me want to see SW thanks!
jtmack
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby diderot on Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:56 am

Sure! Although they played West Coast before going South...

It was a small venue and between the encores he asked why he got thousands of people in Chile (two sold out shows) and Argentina, but in Brazil he got about 500... Not that he wasn't happy with our presence, but he wanted to understand and asked the audience: someone said that there was too many good shows in Sao Paulo (Opeth three weeks ago, Bob Dylan on the same weekend and Paul McCartney playing 2,000 miles up north, in Recife); other guy said that it's matter of culture.

I agree with the second guy, adding that most of people are ignorant about what happen abroad (keep in mind that English is not our native language...) and not less important: the poor event promotion. If it wasn't thru a post in FB, probably I had missed it. Looking for tickets for this show I found out that Opeth would come too! Although suffering the same promotion issue, they gathered more than 2,000 people (the closer I got from the stage was 20 yards!).

I'd say we were 500 privileged fans! I could see the whole band at 3 to 4 yards from the stage, but I couldn't see Steven's feet! :P
Diderot
diderot
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby Krimzep on Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:09 am

WoW! tell us how you really feel!! :lol:
Krimzep
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby Indyrod on Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:23 pm

great review diderot, hope He comes this way soon. :cry:
Everyone thinks I'm psychotic, except for my friends deep inside the earth.

de gustibus non est disputandum
Indyrod
Permanently Temporary ProjeKction Admin

Postby Geno on Tue May 01, 2012 2:34 pm

There's just three things in my life that I regret
There's everything I've done, everything I'm doing
And what I haven't done yet
Geno
ProjeKction Veteran

Postby diderot on Wed May 02, 2012 3:12 am

Thanks for sharing, Geno!

Inside and outside the venue there were posters warning that it was forbidden to take pictures and record the show, that the person would be invited to leave, blah-blah-blah...

I'd say that about 20% of the audience took pictures and recorded part of the show as the post above proves (and sung along every song; lucky me that they have long instrumental pieces...).
Diderot
diderot
ProjeKction Godlike

Return to Reviews