free counter with statistics
:: ProjeKction - King Crimson NET :: • View topic - Tom Ze - Sao Paulo - Feb. 26th, 2011

Tom Ze - Sao Paulo - Feb. 26th, 2011

Post all your reviews here - whether they are album reviews, gig reviews or DVD reviews.

Tom Ze - Sao Paulo - Feb. 26th, 2011

Postby diderot on Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:46 am

Tom Zé or Tom Ze (I don't know how it will appear in other countries) was known for his partnership with Caetano in Tropicalia movement, back in 1968. Then he released albums till mid-70, blending concrete poetry, lyrics against dictatorship and experimental music with Brazilian accent. During mid-80 when he was almost retiring from music and start working in his family gas station he was "discovered" by David Byrne who released his albums through Luaka Bop. Then the world knew him and the Brazilians started listening him again...

I must say I knew a little of his work, had seen some interviews, but I was fascinated by his performance, wry humor, joined by a tight band. The production was perfect: light, sound, arrangements, but the way he drives the show makes you think it was all improvised, and I'm sure part of it was. The show flows lightly although he touches in hard subjects like freedom of expression, the harassment of women by all religions (and most men), etc. He toys with the fact that the cover of his albums are different is US: "oh, they say the Americans prefer this way".

At the end I bought his DVD - Pirulito da Ciência - and his last album - Estudando a Bossa (Studying Bossa [Nova]). The DVD has almost the same show I'd seen, with more songs, interviews and different running order.
Diderot
diderot
ProjeKction Godlike

Re: Tom Ze - Sao Paulo - Feb. 26th, 2011

Postby diderot on Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:55 am

I think I must add that his music resembles Frank Zappa. He is not a virtuoso player, nor his band, but for his humor on lyrics and the musical arrangement, odd time signatures and the stories he tells during the show. On of his early songs is Jimmy Renda-se that is almost spoken as Jimmy Hendrix in Portuguese [renda-se = surrender yourself].
Diderot
diderot
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby Geno on Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:36 am

I've never heard of this guy, but he sounds interesting. It looks like Emusic has that album you mentioned; would it be good for a first taste?
There's just three things in my life that I regret
There's everything I've done, everything I'm doing
And what I haven't done yet
Geno
ProjeKction Veteran

Postby diderot on Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:21 pm

Hi Geno, I've been out for the Carnaval Holidays...

If you like Bossa Nova you'll love Estudando a Bossa, but the lyrics are something else. He uses cross-references to Brazilian music and musicians, inside jokes and sometimes it doesn't make much sense to you. Anyway the music is fantastic.

You can check one track alive here and another here playing "Xique Xique" from his previous album Jogos de Armar.

Let me know if you need help finding his merchandise or with lyrics...
Diderot
diderot
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby Geno on Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:08 pm

diderot wrote:If you like Bossa Nova you'll love Estudando a Bossa, but the lyrics are something else. He uses cross-references to Brazilian music and musicians, inside jokes and sometimes it doesn't make much sense to you. Anyway the music is fantastic.

Thanks. I don't actually know much about bossa nova, but it's nice to look into something new, and I focus more on music than lyrics anyway. I'll see how this one sounds.
There's just three things in my life that I regret
There's everything I've done, everything I'm doing
And what I haven't done yet
Geno
ProjeKction Veteran

Return to Reviews