free counter with statistics
:: ProjeKction - King Crimson NET :: • View topic - Porcupine Tree - Anesthetize (dvd)

Porcupine Tree - Anesthetize (dvd)

Post all your reviews here - whether they are album reviews, gig reviews or DVD reviews.

Re: Porcupine Tree - Anesthetize (dvd)

Postby vrooom on Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:03 pm

Well Steven Wilson himself admitted that he's not much of a guitarist - so that's probably why they don't improvise too much. But as long as you are enjoying it, I suppose that's all that's important.
vrooom
Button Pusher

Postby Indyrod on Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:18 am

vrooom wrote:Well Steven Wilson himself admitted that he's not much of a guitarist - so that's probably why they don't improvise too much. But as long as you are enjoying it, I suppose that's all that's important.

If you don't think he can improvise, you should listen to his IEM "Have Come For Your Children". The whole thing is SW improvising and laying down some pretty amazing stuff, and even includes the melotron. His early psychedelic music really shows off his improv skills too, IMO. I've never read anything about Steven saying he isn't much of a guitarist, but I suspect it was in jest. His fans know better.

Review of that album
http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=5323
Everyone thinks I'm psychotic, except for my friends deep inside the earth.

de gustibus non est disputandum
Indyrod
Permanently Temporary ProjeKction Admin

Postby vrooom on Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:20 am

Indyrod wrote:I've never read anything about Steven saying he isn't much of a guitarist, but I suspect it was in jest. His fans know better.

He said it in a pretty recent interview. I wouldn't worry about it.
vrooom
Button Pusher

Postby jtmack on Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:42 am

vrooom wrote:
Indyrod wrote:I've never read anything about Steven saying he isn't much of a guitarist, but I suspect it was in jest. His fans know better.

:roll: Come on Indy we're (including SW) Crimson fans and we know what good playing sounds like.
jtmack
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby MarkSullivan on Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:23 am

jtmack wrote:
vrooom wrote:

:roll: Come on Indy we're (including SW) Crimson fans and we know what good playing sounds like.

Ha! Have to go with the non-PT fans on this one. I enjoy some PT, but it's because of the songwriting and the group sound, not Wilson's guitar playing. He's a competent hard rock guitarist, but that's about it. He can crank out a good solo, but there's nothing groundbreaking about it, and he's not an exceptional technician, either.
MarkSullivan
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby vrooom on Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:08 pm

MarkSullivan wrote:He can crank out a good solo, but there's nothing groundbreaking about it, and he's not an exceptional technician, either.

That's basically what SW said in this interview. I actually really enjoyed the interview because his guitar philosophy was similar to my own and he was more excited about making interesting noises with the guitar than pulling off a million-note-a-minute solo. Wish I could remember where I read it...

As I have said in the past, I really respect SW's ears and think he is a great producer - I just don't "get" all the fan fervour for PT when there are better bands out there.
vrooom
Button Pusher

Postby Fred on Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:29 pm

vrooom wrote:
MarkSullivan wrote:He can crank out a good solo, but there's nothing groundbreaking about it, and he's not an exceptional technician, either.

That's basically what SW said in this interview. I actually really enjoyed the interview because his guitar philosophy was similar to my own and he was more excited about making interesting noises with the guitar than pulling off a million-note-a-minute solo. Wish I could remember where I read it...

As I have said in the past, I really respect SW's ears and think he is a great producer - I just don't "get" all the fan fervour for PT when there are better bands out there.

It's from this interview Darren http://www.innerviews.org/inner/ptree3.html
You’re uncomfortable with your emerging guitar hero status. Why?

I feel like a fake because I’m not a great guitarist. I know I have a sound that’s my own, but it comes from my overall vision for how I want to make records and my production approach. I recognize and accept that I have a style too, and I think it partly comes from my limitations. I’m just not interested in playing fast or being an Olympic guitarist. That doesn’t appeal to me. I’d rather hear someone play one note with feeling that can break my heart, than 50 notes that mean nothing. I’ve never been interested in being a great technician, which is just as well. I don’t have the discipline or inclination to do that.
He who tries to be his own teacher
becomes his favorite student.
Fred
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby vrooom on Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:03 pm

That's the one. It's a very good interview.
vrooom
Button Pusher

Postby diderot on Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:31 pm

jtmack wrote:Your still into to PT? :o To see SW with his blackened bare feet dirtying the stage leaves me feeling somewhat violated in a sick foot fetish sort of way.

Hey jt, a good way to recover your foot fetish is going to the Adrian Belew Power Trio gig like I did last Monday (in Montevideo, Uruguay). Julie throw away her sandals just before the first chord and stayed this way till the end. I'll post some pictures to relieve your SW trauma... :roll:

Additionally you have a great show (I'll try to write a sort of review/impressions soon). :wink:
Diderot
diderot
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby jtmack on Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:19 pm

diderot wrote:
jtmack wrote:Your still into to PT? :o To see SW with his blackened bare feet dirtying the stage leaves me feeling somewhat violated in a sick foot fetish sort of way.

Hey jt, a good way to recover your foot fetish is going to the Adrian Belew Power Trio gig like I did last Monday (in Montevideo, Uruguay). Julie throw away her sandals just before the first chord and stayed this way till the end. I'll post some pictures to relieve your SW trauma... :roll:

Additionally you have a great show (I'll try to write a sort of review/impressions soon). :wink:

So you seen ABT they are fun to see and Julie's feet don't dirty the stage just SW's do... Looking foreword to your ABT report! :D
jtmack
ProjeKction Godlike

PreviousNext

Return to Reviews