free counter with statistics
:: ProjeKction - King Crimson NET :: • View topic - Adrian Belew - Painting with Guitar (with Julie Slick), Phil

Adrian Belew - Painting with Guitar (with Julie Slick), Phil

Post all your reviews here - whether they are album reviews, gig reviews or DVD reviews.

Adrian Belew - Painting with Guitar (with Julie Slick), Phil

Postby Geno on Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:26 pm

Well, this was something different. Adrian's been blogging about downsizing his rig lately, and sure enough, the stage looked more like a home studio room than an actual concert space. The sides of the stage had a couple easels with six paintings from the Side series' front & back covers. In the middle was a stool surrounded by maybe two footboards and two monitors, and that was about it. Everything was mostly run through a laptop. He could have been surfing Facebook during the breaks for all we knew.

The set was almost all a departure from the usual as promised. He opened with a Bears song called "Doodles" (fittingly enough) and followed up with a mix of new material, the usual "Drive"/Beatle medley, a section of e and some solo rarities from Side One and Op Zop. The familiar tunes such as "Drive" still got interestingly changed with some different (often dirty-grungy) guitar tones. The new stuff was mainly an extended instrumental suite based on texturing, looping and automated pitch-shifting. A little noodly, but I suppose with a show like this one is allowed to get self-indulgent.

Julie Slick gave a great performance for her opening half-hour, consisting of pieces from her album played to the backing tracks although not quite the same as on record. "Mora" for instance had some trip-hoppy changing around of the voice samples, and they all had some new lead solos. These were all interspersed with some background stories and nerdy gear talk in keeping with the spirit of the show. Two shows may be a small start for her, but so far a good one; I really hope this leads to more.

All in all, highly worth it. There was enough song-based material for the evil mistress to enjoy, enough guitar meandering to satisfy the ones who wanted some weirdness, and the Q&A made for some good laughs and good stories, ranging from the predictable 80s-Crim issue to what life was like with the Zappas. I don't know if it's the kind of thing that'll happen again in the future, but it would be great if so.
There's just three things in my life that I regret
There's everything I've done, everything I'm doing
And what I haven't done yet
Geno
ProjeKction Veteran

Re: Adrian Belew - Painting with Guitar (with Julie Slick), Phil

Postby jtmack on Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:29 pm

Heck, I thought I was reading a pro review in tell the part about the evil mistress. Thanks for sharing your review..
jtmack
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby Dog_none on Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:57 am

What did he play from Op Zop (my favorite Ade solo album)?
I was just now thinking about the Jaws Of Life
how they chew you up and spit you right
back into the frying pan
Dog_none
Projizzle Dizzle Nizzle

Postby Geno on Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:22 pm

Dog_none wrote:What did he play from Op Zop (my favorite Ade solo album)?

"Time Waits" and "All Her Love Is Mine."
Geno
ProjeKction Veteran

Postby Dog_none on Sat Jul 03, 2010 4:00 pm

Damn. I've been wanting to hear "All Her Love is Mine" live. Sounds like a great show. Hopefully he'll release something from this tour.
I was just now thinking about the Jaws Of Life
how they chew you up and spit you right
back into the frying pan
Dog_none
Projizzle Dizzle Nizzle

Postby Geno on Sat Jul 03, 2010 4:17 pm

Dog_none wrote:Hopefully he'll release something from this tour.

It's a possibility. Ade said he was also using said laptop to record all the shows for posterity (whoever posterity is) and possibly sending out a track or two to his email list. Maybe there'll be more later.
Geno
ProjeKction Veteran

Postby proggerjoe on Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:32 pm

i would love to see adrian do some looping...though julie is very nice to look at! ;-)
proggerjoe
ProjeKction Acolyte

Return to Reviews