free counter with statistics
:: ProjeKction - King Crimson NET :: • View topic - Bill Bruford: The Autobiography

Bill Bruford: The Autobiography

Post all your reviews here - whether they are album reviews, gig reviews or DVD reviews.

Bill Bruford: The Autobiography

Postby Gilesfan on Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:08 pm

After much anticipation, my signed copy of Bill's book arrived. Much thicker than I anticipated. The book is bound and printed very well and on nice paper. Many rare (and not so rare) pictures from Bill's collection and from others.

The book shows why Bill is the way he is and even if you think you know about him there is a lot more here than we would ever have guessed. It is simply not a book about "Bill Bruford From Day 1 Until Now". It is really not so much of an autobiography, but a book about music, which happens to use Bill's life experiences as a backdrop (and many times not). Bill thinks and writes about music like I have never read before. I can't elaborate; you just have to read it yourself.

But it is full of anecdotes about all kinds of musicians and people he has known. I don't want to spoil it for anyone, but the one that absolutely cracks me up is as follows (Darren, being a Dad you will love this):

"The complexities in maintaining a solid relationship inevitably increase tenfold with the arrival of dependent children. I'm increasingly of the opinion that there are two types of adult on the planet: those with and without children. The distinction as between male and female is as nothing compared with the difference of adults with and without children. Adrian Belew is a father; Robert Fripp is not. When my children were small, there was always a cookie monster in Adrian's suitcase when he came to visit. When Robert came to visit, his idea of fun was to tell the same children at the same age that their necks were so pretty and appealing that he would like to sink his teeth into them and lick their blood. Their mother was speechless for days."

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

There are other great ones too.

But I can honestly say that this is the greatest book I have ever read on music. And I have read lots of them: autobiographical, analytical, instructional...you name it. This is the one.

By all means get this one! :D
Last edited by Gilesfan on Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gilesfan
Gilesfan
ProjeKction Godlike

Re: Bill Bruford: The Autobiography

Postby vrooom on Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:22 pm

When my life is no longer a mess and the children are eventually sent off to school, I plan to read a book. It might even be THIS book. I have other books I have purchased but not read due to time bein gobbled up, so look out for my review of this book around 2014. Will we all still be alive then? I don't know. The fun is getting there, I guess.

Good review, GF! :P
vrooom
Button Pusher

Postby diderot on Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:37 pm

Thanks for the review, Gilesfan!

I feel like Darren: some books bought but untouched. Maybe I'll put this in the pile...
Diderot
diderot
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby Geno on Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:32 pm

I'm not sure I agree. I mean, I definitely agree that it's a wonderful, funny and brilliant book, but it never seems like it's about music as much as you say. It's more about a life in music, which is definitely no less fascinating - building a career, making a living, adapting to changing technology, leading one's own group/s, touring, recording, PR, labels, funding, and the million other things that inevitably surround the music. So the appeal is a combination of all the eloquent thoughts about all that stuff, combined with some endlessly fascinating stories about them (and about those characters we all admire so much). In that way it's a most excellent companion to Tony Levin's book. I'd say all the same things about his too. (And Bill's story about Tony at an Al DiMeola session cracked me up just as much as the passage quoted above...)

Not that there isn't a fair amount about music as well - I'm not denying that, and those parts are just as great as you say.
There's just three things in my life that I regret
There's everything I've done, everything I'm doing
And what I haven't done yet
Geno
ProjeKction Veteran

Postby ghostjoshu on Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:10 pm

Sounds like a ripper of a book. Being a non parent hopefully i can sink my teeth right into it soon :wink:
Fire
Walk with me
ghostjoshu
ProjeKction Savant

Postby Krimzep on Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:57 pm

ghostjoshu wrote:Sounds like a ripper of a book. Being a non parent hopefully i can sink my teeth right into it soon :wink:

the cookie monster ate my copy :|
Krimzep
ProjeKction Godlike

Return to Reviews