free counter with statistics
:: ProjeKction - King Crimson NET :: • View topic - Adrian Belew Power Trio, World Cafe, Philadelphia 8.31.09

Adrian Belew Power Trio, World Cafe, Philadelphia 8.31.09

Post all your reviews here - whether they are album reviews, gig reviews or DVD reviews.

Adrian Belew Power Trio, World Cafe, Philadelphia 8.31.09

Postby Geno on Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:26 pm

This was my fourth ABPT show, and amazingly it might have been the best yet. The evil mistress didn't think it was quite her favorite, but that's largely because she prefers songs to instrumentals, so it's her loss. I'm more blown away by a good jam, and the trio's getting more daring than ever when it comes to flying into uncharted territory. "Beat Box Guitar" manages to STILL keep going farther out every time I hear it live, and they actually threw a similar whirly soundscapey interlude into the middle of "b." It's hard to believe how far the e material has come even this soon after its release - can't imagine what it'll be like in a couple more years. Even more impressive for such a relatively obtuse instrumental piece, it had half the room bouncing like we were at a midnight rave.

You probably know what the band's like by now. Adrian's as happy & exuberant as ever...

...and - believe it or not - Julie's become quite the stage presence. "Madness" especially gave her a chance to show off and strike some rock-star poses. I still refuse to believe it's the same person we saw barely moving a muscle a couple years back.

I'd be happy to just see these three jam no matter what the songs are, but it's nice that they're also mixing things up a little every time. And of course, even the more familiar songs still blew the roof off.

Big Electric Cat
a
b
Drum solo (most excellent)
Young Lions
Ampersand
Beat Box Guitar
c
Neurotica
Madness
Of Bow & Drum
Color Futurevision
e
-----------
Lone Rhino (full band!)
3PP

I wonder if they've ever considered playing "Whatever." I kept meaning to suggest it to one of them, but the lobby was mobbed enough afterwards that the band & crew already had their work cut out for them. Regardless - highly worthwhile, as always. They really never disappoint.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOxeXaPz6fg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnJPVRar_2g
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoZo9ulSlZE
Last edited by Geno on Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There's just three things in my life that I regret
There's everything I've done, everything I'm doing
And what I haven't done yet
Geno
ProjeKction Veteran

Re: Adrian Belew Power Trio, World Cafe, Philadelphia 8.31.09

Postby GrassySound on Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:06 pm

Wow, you echo my sentiments exactly! Last night's show was nothing short of astounding!! I couldn't believe how 'e' has advanced so much since it's release. They've only been playing it for a very short time, yet it has already stretched well beyond it's studio counterpart. As you noted, Beat Box Guitar was amazing. It took me on a musical journey I've yet to recover from.

I was quite pleased with the lack of Crimson material. I told Adrian I'd rather see a show of only HIS material. Performing so much of 'e' was tremendous, and the set was quite different, even if a cursory glance at the setlist doesn't necessarily show (still have Madness, Ampersand, etc...but they're ALL SO different than before.) Julie was going apeshit with feedback as Madness began. It was stellar!)

Anyone even REMOTELY interested in Adrian Belew NEEDS to see this tour!!
"Progress is not possible without deviation from the norm." - Frank Zappa
GrassySound
ProjeKction Fan

Postby Geno on Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:31 pm

Hey, didn't know you were there. Glad to hear another opinion though.. everyone I heard at the venue said the same things. It was really something else.
There's just three things in my life that I regret
There's everything I've done, everything I'm doing
And what I haven't done yet
Geno
ProjeKction Veteran

Postby TheCrimsonChin on Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:06 pm

I've asked Julie about getting "Walk Around the World" into the rotation. She says she's willing to learn it but thinks Ade is really focused on perfecting all the stuff from "e" before he would want to take on a piece that difficult.
If I had something important to say, why would I put it all the way down here?
TheCrimsonChin
ProjeKction Connoisseur

Postby Dog_none on Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:34 am

Yes, this band has moved to the next level. The new material helps, but it's more than that. Adrian will always be the main attraction, but the Slicks are each given a little more space to work with and they do very well with it. I'm not sure what to add to Geno's and Grassysound's comments other than I concur.
I was just now thinking about the Jaws Of Life
how they chew you up and spit you right
back into the frying pan
Dog_none
Projizzle Dizzle Nizzle

Postby nisimoto on Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:49 pm

Glad that he found his life after crimson.
nisimoto
ProjeKction Sensei

Postby Krimzep on Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:41 pm

gonna see em tomorrow night in natic at the Tcan :wank: :wank:

any body here have an opinion on another stunning talent in tal wilkenfeld? this chick is amazing live!

Krimzep
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby vrooom on Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:43 pm

Sorry, what? I was staring at the way her little titty was resting on the curve of the bass guitar. It reminded me of my own titty when it rests on the curve of my bass guitar...
vrooom
Button Pusher

Postby Krimzep on Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:26 pm

vrooom wrote:Sorry, what? I was staring at the way her little titty was resting on the curve of the bass guitar. It reminded me of my own titty when it rests on the curve of my bass guitar...

hehe I knew that would get a "cough cough" rise out of someone. I also love the way her titty fits right in the curves of her guitar. :wank: :wank: :wank:

she is an absolute prodigy when it comes to bass playing. :bj: :bj: :bj:

while Jeff Beck has had others guest with him on tour no one else has been afforded the solo time he has given Tal, even Jennifer Batten (guitar goddess) didnt get as much free space as Tal so she must be something special for jeff to relinquish the spotlight. :shock:
Krimzep
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby Krimzep on Sat Sep 05, 2009 6:05 am

ok today was the day ! I was so stoked to see ade and what happens at 3 oclock this afternoon?

I have a bad heat stroke!! :shock: I was in the hospital for 3 hours in a delirious state :cry:

by 6 oclock I was feeling better so I left the hospital and headed for the Tcan in natick which is an hour away :roll:

I made it to the show just in time.

A young lady whos name I cannot remember opened for Ade and she had a beautiful voice. her set was not unlike something you would see jewel doing but I think she was actually better than jewel.

then the Trio took the stage, the Tcan is a small venue, very intimate place to see a band. They were way to loud for the size of the venue and it was a bit weird as the drums were on the right side of the stage facing left. I liked the set list from their previous tour a lot better than the stuff they played from the new album. to me it seemed very discordant and a lot of crazy stuff they did was more like noise than music.

and for some reason the slicks seemed bored , I mean their expressions were dour while Ade was very animated laughing and making jokes throughout the show.

It was awesome to see ade from 10 feet away and I got all three to sign my white hat.

Its really to bad I ended up in the hospital cause I had recordings to bring for ade of himself and Tlev that he would have loved.
Krimzep
ProjeKction Godlike

Return to Reviews