free counter with statistics
:: ProjeKction - King Crimson NET :: • View topic - Urgh! A Music War

Urgh! A Music War

Post all your reviews here - whether they are album reviews, gig reviews or DVD reviews.

Urgh! A Music War

Postby Indyrod on Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:06 pm

Urgh! A Music War

Description...

Urgh! A Music War is a British film released in 1981 featuring performances by punk rock, New Wave, and post-punk acts, filmed in 1980. Among the artists featured in the movie are The Go-Go's, The Fleshtones, Joan Jett and the Blackhearts, XTC, Devo, The Cramps, Oingo Boingo, Dead Kennedys, Gary Numan, Klaus Nomi, Wall of Voodoo, Pere Ubu, Steel Pulse, Surf Punks, 999, UB40, Echo & the Bunnymen and The Police. These were many of the most popular groups on the New Wave scene; in keeping with the spirit of the scene, the film also features several less famous acts, and one completely obscure group, Invisible Sex, in what appears to be their single public outing.

My Review

Last night I watched URGH, from a copy I got from a guy I have been buying rare and OOP movies for several years. He told me he was having problems trying to make me a copy, so he sent the master or the original copy he had. I really lucked out on this, because the quality is excellent, including the sound, and all performances are there, all 39 tracks just like the new Warner Release. It had been many many years since I watched URGH, and my interest in it started because of Klaus Nomi. And to be honest, his performance and his beautiful "Aria (from Samson and Delilah)" over the End Credits are major highlights for me. I'm not much of a punk music fan, but I enjoyed the major part of all 124 minutes of it. A very big surprise for me, which I have heard fans comment, was Magazine's "Model Worker" performance. Outside of Nomi, that is probably the best performance in the whole documentary. I liked the balance between Punk and Rock 'n' Roll (Joan Jett), to reggae (UB40 and Steel Pulse). All in all, it was alot of fun spending over two hours watching this. I believe this is the version that the website antisoshal had for sale. In the credits for the DVD, it mentioned that website and I think the guy that runs it as the author. The DVD was on a dual layer disc, with the first half of the show on one layer, and the other half on the second layer, which gave it the best possible video and audio quality. That may have been why my source had trouble copying it, because of how the DVD was constructed. The menu was very good, listing all performances by name, and to get to the second half of the concert, you had to hit an arrow, which directed your player to another track, which had to be the second layer of the DVD. It's pretty obvious that the VHS release was used as the source, with nothing cut or altered. I love it, and the quality is exceptional. It was also on a high quality DVD brand, which always helps.

Recently, there has been an official, unofficial DVD release made by Warner Brothers, which I am not sure is complete. That release has not been remastered for DVD, and is nothing but a copy of the VHS, the same source as my copy. I've even heard that one or two performances have been cut. That release can be found HERE .

Performances...

Opening credits
The Police – "Driven to Tears"
Wall of Voodoo – "Back in Flesh"
Toyah Willcox – "Danced"
John Cooper Clarke – "Health Fanatic"
Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark – "Enola Gay"
Chelsea – "I’m on Fire"
Oingo Boingo – "Ain’t This the Life"
Echo & the Bunnymen – "The Puppet"
Jools Holland – "Foolish I Know"
XTC – "Respectable Street"
Klaus Nomi – "Total Eclipse"
Athletico Spizz 80 – "Where’s Captain Kirk?"
The Go-Go's – "We Got the Beat"
Dead Kennedys – "Bleed for Me"
Steel Pulse – "Ku Klux Klan"
Gary Numan – "Down in the Park"
Joan Jett and the Blackhearts – "Bad Reputation"
Magazine – "Model Worker"
Surf Punks – "My Beach"
The Members – "Offshore Banking Business"
Au Pairs – "Come Again"
The Cramps – "Tear It Up"
Invisible Sex – "Valium"
Pere Ubu – "Birdies"
Devo – "Uncontrollable Urge"
The Alley Cats – "Nothing Means Nothing Anymore"
John Otway – "Cheryl’s Going Home"
Gang of Four – "He’d Send in the Army"
999 – "Homicide"
The Fleshtones – "Shadowline"
X – "Beyond and Back"
Skafish – "Sign of the Cross"
Splodgenessabounds – "Two Little Boys"
UB40 – "Madame Medusa"
The Police – "Roxanne"
The Police – "So Lonely"
Klaus Nomi – "Aria (from Samson and Delilah)" (End credits)
Everyone thinks I'm psychotic, except for my friends deep inside the earth.

de gustibus non est disputandum
Indyrod
Permanently Temporary ProjeKction Admin

Return to Reviews