free counter with statistics
:: ProjeKction - King Crimson NET :: • View topic - EchoNET

EchoNET

Post all your reviews here - whether they are album reviews, gig reviews or DVD reviews.

EchoNET

Postby Yorkshire Square on Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:55 pm

You may be aware of this album, as a certain member of the board never seems to stop banging on about it (now who would that be?)

Anyway, my CD+DVD arrived in the post from CDBaby just the other day and I've been immersing myself in its delights ever since.

Aficionados of Mr Lock will already know where his styles lie and EchoNET continues, what for me is, his most successful genre. This is a wholly instrumental of guitar based music with additional percussion and effects. The lack of vocals is a real boost as Mr Lock sings like my granny farts; roughly and out of tune.

The music on the whole is undemanding, but has sufficient variety to maintain interest throughout; its a bit like easy listening for the left-field generation. The one thing that strikes me is that over the years Darren has really started to develop his own style (or lack of it in some tracks from previous outings). On earlier albums the influence of other well known players was more apparent but on EchoNET the artist plays very much in his own unique style. I did detect a hint of some of Yorkshire Square's brilliant tracks from the Projekction CD in there, but then realised that all of the actual music was played by Mr Lock, so that probably explains that then! :oops:

This album should be in any self-respecting music lovers collection. If you haven't got it yet, get it now. If you've downloaded it (especially if it was an illegal download), buy the CD+DVD set for the glorious surround sound and the sight of Mr Locks cheesy grin in the video of the last track. Go on; do it now!
I tell you it's no fun
Being on Proje-e-ekshun
Yorkshire Square
ProjeKction Veteran

Re: EchoNET

Postby vrooom on Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:47 pm

Thanks Yorkie. That nails it, really. :D (Would you be so kind as to post this on the CDBABY website, ta!)

The music on the whole is undemanding, but has sufficient variety to maintain interest throughout; its a bit like easy listening for the left-field generation.

That's my ethos, which I borrowed from Simon Jeffes (my hero). Why make music complicated? Why try to prove to everyone how good a player I am? Why be extremely technical for the sake of it? That's a very macho way of making music and I am more about the idea, the groove, the feel and sometimes this leads me to simple ideas that no-one else would never, ever go near. I'm not a musician, because musicians have to vindicate themselves and prove to themselves (and others, there peers, their audience) that they are musicians. I am an artist in the sense that I do it to please myself. All true art comes from that simple conceit. When you try and please others or impress others, you end up with something that is usually quite hollow. Also, I am limited technically in what I can do. If I had a real life drummer, then I think my playing would open up a zillion-fold.

There are three tenets to my music making:

1) The Robert Fripp way of fast-working. I don't labour over things and if you can get it in the first take, then you have won. If I can't get it right after five takes, I abandon what I do.

2) Brian Eno - Repitition is a form of change. This contradictory statement from Captain Eno always got me thinking and so I don't mind repeating myself or phrases, because sometimes when I repeat things, my fingers make mistakes and create new things. Embrace the mistake - or honour the mistake.

3) "I'm not the sort of person who writes music that is stressful or about vigarous concepts or working out of things. That's not my nature. I'm looking for things that work emotionally, not just nice things, on all emotional manifestations. I want to work around it all because somehow it leads to more life. Life almost gets resolved through the music. Compared to Stockhausen there's not a lot going on in our music. Our music is not very complicated." - Simon Jeffes, Penguin Cafe Orchestra, 1988.

But yeah, I must stop banging on about it!!!

Hey, if you are lucky I might just get my studio set up tomorrow and then recording begins again!!!
vrooom
Button Pusher

Re: EchoNET

Postby vrooom on Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:57 pm

Forgot to add that if you want to listen to the album in its entirety without spending a single penny, you can hear a compressed version of EchoNET courtesy of the widget on my website. Yes, it's true. I have a widget on my website.

http://www.darrenlock.com/
vrooom
Button Pusher

Return to Reviews