free counter with statistics
:: ProjeKction - King Crimson NET :: • View topic - Alex Machacek/Jeff Sipe/Neal Fountain - Charlotte,NC 6/28/08

Alex Machacek/Jeff Sipe/Neal Fountain - Charlotte,NC 6/28/08

Post all your reviews here - whether they are album reviews, gig reviews or DVD reviews.

Alex Machacek/Jeff Sipe/Neal Fountain - Charlotte,NC 6/28/08

Postby MarkSullivan on Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:44 am

Scheduled to be the same trio that appeared on the recent Improvisation CD, with bassist Neal Fountain substituting for Matthew Garrison. They played at the Double Door Inn, a small club with a long history as a blues venue. For the last few years their booking has been more eclectic: I saw the California Guitar Trio with Tony Levin there a couple years ago. Fountain was a good sub for Garrison, playing a six-string bass which allowed him to play guitar-like chords and arpeggios in addition to conventional bass lines. Machacek was a monster technically, calling Allan Holdsworth to mind when in full flight. But Sipe was so terrific that he nearly overshadowed the other players. Not because he was flashy or overplayed, but because he was so consistently creative and musical. I saw him with Jonas Hellborg and Shawn Lane several years ago, but I wasn't playing drums then. Last night he completely blew me away. His control of dynamics is perhaps the best I've ever seen; he seems capable of playing anything he wants, with equal facility whether loud or soft.

I recognized themes and harmonic material from the CD, and saw some kind of chart or set list on stage. So I'm guessing they were mostly improvising, but using the CD as reference. But they played two sets (the first about an hour long, the second about 45 minutes) without repeating anything, and went right from one tune to the next. I'd recommend catching them if you like the ProjeKcts. This trio has more of a jazz fusion flavor, but there's definitely some overlap in the sections when they're textural, and when they rock out. The place was full but not packed, and from what I overheard, most of the folks in the audience weren't familiar with the band or any of their previous recordings. But they seemed prepared for improvisational instrumental rock, because they liked it. And there was even a fair number of women in attendance.
MarkSullivan
ProjeKction Godlike

Re: Alex Machacek/Jeff Sipe/Neal Fountain - Charlotte,NC 6/28/08

Postby MondayTuesday on Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:05 am

MarkSullivan wrote:Machacek was a monster technically, calling Allan Holdsworth to mind when in full flight.

any thoughts on Machacek joining forces with Gunn (diary entry, 4-Sep-08) under the UKZ umbrella of Jobson ?
I'm completely 'blank' concerning Alex Machacek up to now ...
MondayTuesday
ProjeKction Fan

Re: Alex Machacek/Jeff Sipe/Neal Fountain - Charlotte,NC 6/28/08

Postby MarkSullivan on Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:53 am

MondayTuesday wrote:
MarkSullivan wrote:Machacek was a monster technically, calling Allan Holdsworth to mind when in full flight.

any thoughts on Machacek joining forces with Gunn (diary entry, 4-Sep-08) under the UKZ umbrella of Jobson ?
I'm completely 'blank' concerning Alex Machacek up to now ...

Yep, I think it's gonna kill. There was another thread where the UKZ project was mentioned, and I recommended that people check out Machacek then. I think there's real potential for this to be a less pop version of UK.
MarkSullivan
ProjeKction Godlike

Return to Reviews