free counter with statistics
:: ProjeKction - King Crimson NET :: • View topic - The Australian Pink Floyd Show Nov. 14, 2007

The Australian Pink Floyd Show Nov. 14, 2007

Post all your reviews here - whether they are album reviews, gig reviews or DVD reviews.

The Australian Pink Floyd Show Nov. 14, 2007

Postby Indyrod on Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:59 pm

I'm going to just copy a review I read over at the fans forum for this great band, and then make a few comments. btw, this was one of the most amazing concerts I've seen in years.

from
TAPFS Fan Forum

I believe this is accurate:

--Set One--

(Entire DSOTM)
Speak To Me
Breathe
On The Run
Time
Great Gig In The Sky
Money
Us And Them
Any Colour You Like
Brain Damage
Eclipse

Very good first set but the highlight here was Us And Them. The band seemed to find their groove on this one musically and the laser and the predominately red tinted light show really created just the right atmosphere and framing for the song.

--Set Two--

Shine On You Crazy Diamond 1-5
Learning To Fly
Take It Back
Set The Controls For The Heart Of The Sun
Nobody Home
Pigs (Three Different Ones)
Wish You Were Here
One Of These Days
Happiest Days Of Our Lives
Another Brick In The Wall Pt. 2
Shine On You Crazy Diamond 6-9
-Introduction of Band Members-
Comfortably Numb

--Encore--

Hey You
Run Like Hell

This was truly an amazing show for a tribute band, that has been doing Pink Floyd shows for twenty years. I would never believe they could pull it off in the way they do, with superior exact replication of the music, and one of the best laser light shows I've seen, since probably Pink Floyd themselves. They played three hours, with a fifteen minute break between the DSOTM album, and the rest of the show. I really enjoyed hearing the older material, "Set The Controls For The Heart Of The Sun" and "One Of These Days" especially, and "Pigs" was probably my favorite. Although the crowd was small, as the reviewer stated, as the show progressed, you could tell there were jaws dropping all over the venue. The crowd was a more mature crowd, fans who wanted to hear PF music live, but may have never gotten the chance, and then the younger ones that were just curious.

Part Two of this coming in a bit...
Last edited by Indyrod on Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Everyone thinks I'm psychotic, except for my friends deep inside the earth.

de gustibus non est disputandum
Indyrod
Permanently Temporary ProjeKction Admin

Postby Indyrod on Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:36 pm

Part 2...

The venue for the show is the same one the Level Five KC show played back in 2001 (Murat Shrine Theater), and it is the best accoustical venue in the City. At the intermission, I noticed the guy I had been sitting next to, and talking to a bit before the show, stood up to take a break as was I, and he was wearing a Schizoid Man T-shirt. When we both came back, I started to talk to him about KC and he was a very big fan, and was at that 2001 KC show too. So that was pretty cool.

Back to the show, I've heard a lot of PF fans are not a big fan of "The Great Gig in the Sky" because of the female vocals dominating the song. I'm not of that opinion, and in last night's show, they had some extremely good female vocalists, three in total, and two of them performed the vocals in TGGITS. For those fans that don't especially like that song, there were evidently none at last night's show, because that song got standing ovations for the outstanding vocals. The stage background was really cool, with a huge video playing, similar to what you would see at at PF show, and those amazing lights including the forementioned laser lights. It really brought back some exceptional memories of the three PF shows I have seen, especially the first, the "Animals" tour June 17th, 1977 at Freedom Hall in Louisville, KY.

For me, the main attaction of this show, outside of being pretty much perfect, is that I closed my eyes a lot during certain songs, and as much as I've listened to one of my favorite bands of all time, PF, I could not tell a difference. Maybe some can, but to me, it WAS PF with my eyes closed, and even opened the stage show reminded me so much of their shows. Since this was their first time in Indianapolis, I truly believe they put on maybe a little better performance I would like to think, because word of mouth is going to be big with them around here.

After the show, I was pretty much stunned as was much of the crowd, and I hurried to the merch. stand, and picked up a CD which is their recreation of the Animals/Wish You Were Here show, the same one I saw in 1977 with PF. Since I doubt PF will ever release anything from that particular tour for some reason, this will be the next best thing. Also, I bought their DVD, which is one of their shows where they played PF greatest hits, with no particular theme. That's great, that was exactly what I was wanting. Now I have the Les Claypool PF "Animals" live CD, which I love, and that is also extremely good. I played that once for a couple of PF fans one time, and they thought I had found a boot of the actual PF "Animals" tour. I didn't tell them it was Les Claypool's band, and they were shocked, as was I the first time I listened to it. But "The Australian Pink Floyd Show" is several steps above that, and takes you back to the real thing as a tribute, and I will be a fan forever, and go out of my way to see them again. They are THAT good.

http://www.aussiefloyd.com
Everyone thinks I'm psychotic, except for my friends deep inside the earth.

de gustibus non est disputandum
Indyrod
Permanently Temporary ProjeKction Admin

Re: The Australian Pink Floyd Show Nov. 14, 2007

Postby mandraxhair on Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:24 am

I think we are the country of cover bands...

I have seen a few Pink Floyd tribute bands and of them the Aus Floyd show would probably be the closest thing. The only problem I have with the tribute bands is a serious lack in playing anything earlier than DSOTM (Exceptions being Set the Controls, Echoes and occasionly One of These Days). I always wanted to hear a tribute band rip into Interstellar Overdrive or something else from the early format Floyd (Post-Barrett, Pre-DSOTM) where there seemed to be an equality in input or "Anarchism" as Fripp would put it.
mandraxhair
ProjeKction Abecedarian

Re: The Australian Pink Floyd Show Nov. 14, 2007

Postby diderot on Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:30 pm

If you like Pink Floyd cover you should try The Early Years by Violeta de Outono (available on Voiceprint).

There you'll find Interstellar Overdrive and Echoes segued into No Quarter and played alive in the studio. In their shows they play Astronome Dominé, unfortunately not in the disc...

I like cover songs made by people/musicians I admire, and it doesn't happen all the time.
Diderot
diderot
ProjeKction Godlike

Return to Reviews