free counter with statistics
:: ProjeKction - King Crimson NET :: • View topic - XTC with Pat Mastelotto - Oranges & Lemons

XTC with Pat Mastelotto - Oranges & Lemons

Post all your reviews here - whether they are album reviews, gig reviews or DVD reviews.

XTC with Pat Mastelotto - Oranges & Lemons

Postby The Crimson Fox on Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:48 pm

Just been listening to XTC – Oranges & Lemons (1989) on the Sennheisers HD 650’s and felt a post coming on….

I've been an XTC fan since I was about 10 years old since I heard General & Majors and Towers of London on the radio in 1979. I had a few of their albums at the time.

Again the hand of King Crimson fate struck...

When Pat Mastelotto first joined King Crimson in 1994 I was interested in tracing his musical path. I remember borrowing Oranges & Lemons from Manchester Central Library in 1996 because he appears on it. It definately renewed my interested in XTC. I ended up actually buying it and all the other albums.

I think it’s a fantastic album with a happy psychedelic feel.

Pat is listed as contributing Traps and Buttons and produces some great drumming effects, some of the drum samples have appeared in King Crimson and related work.

What do fellow ProjeKctionists think of this album? Any other XTC fans out there?

Has anyone else been struck with the hand of King Crimson fate? It's as if King Crimson was always gonna be my favourite band!! It started with Remain In Light - Talking Heads with me... The rest is history!!
The Crimson Fox
ProjeKction Savant

Postby vrooom on Fri Aug 25, 2006 12:06 am

Good thread, Mr Fox. Can't post comments at the moment as I have to go to bed, but I hope some other folks will pick up the baton and run with this one.

Darren
vrooom
Button Pusher

Postby scorched earth on Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:54 am

And of course there's the other Fripp-XTC connection: it's where Barry Andrews of the League of Gentlemen came from. I've been a fan of XTC since that time period and have all their albums through Apple Venus vol. 1, which I didn't think was quite as strong as the pre-we're pissed at Virgin so we'll just not release anything period. Oranges & Lemons is one of the best ones. Kram asked at two other KC forums if anyone saw Sylvian & Fripp live and I was the only one who said they had, and I suspect I'm probably one of the few around here who has seen XTC live, since they notoriously stopped touring because of Andy Partridge's stage fright. They were very good live as I remember.
scorched earth
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby MarkSullivan on Fri Aug 25, 2006 2:05 am

I was a huge XTC fan for their first several albums (I think The Big Express was the last one I bought when it came out, but I caught up with Oranges & Lemons later). My New Wave band back in the 80s actually covered "Making Plans for Nigel" (which was tough to learn, but fun to play). I saw them live, too, opening for The Police in Detroit.
MarkSullivan
ProjeKction Godlike

Re: XTC with Pat Mastelotto - Oranges & Lemons

Postby The Crimson Fox on Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:56 am

Just listened to this album and how fantastic it still remains!
The Crimson Fox
ProjeKction Savant

Return to Reviews