free counter with statistics
:: ProjeKction - King Crimson NET :: • View topic - (No Pussyfooting)/Evening Star - Fripp & Eno

(No Pussyfooting)/Evening Star - Fripp & Eno

Post all your reviews here - whether they are album reviews, gig reviews or DVD reviews.

(No Pussyfooting)/Evening Star - Fripp & Eno

Postby The Crimson Fox on Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:46 pm

Listened to this album on headphones tonight, the first time in absolutely ages.

It still scares me to death. I originally bought it on a import cassette in 1989 with (No Pussyfooting) on side one and Evening Star on side two. I now have both albums separately on CD and the essential Fripp & Eno (with remastered tracks) but the sound quality is pretty much the same... but I suppose it cant be improved.

I'd never heard anything like this in my life before at that time and thought (and still do!!) it was very spooky music. The front cover is quite strange as well.

I prefer The Heavenly Music Corporation to Swastika Girls. Swastika Girl still sounds out of tune and an electronic mess with some good guitar lines from Fripp.

I think I prefer Evening Star. It is much more melodic but Index of Metals is still a disturbing soundtrack to have nightmares by.

Which do you prefer?
The Crimson Fox
ProjeKction Savant

Postby MiKcrobe on Fri Jun 02, 2006 2:07 pm

"The Heavenly Music Corporation" is a masterpiece that will never be equalled. When I first heard it, I was awestruck. The idea of what amounted to a 20-minute guitar solo just seemed so insane. That was before I even knew how it was constructed. In Eric Tamm's book about Eno (he covers the Fripp & Eno albums), he describes how because of the delay technique Fripp used, manipulating the sound palette would have been like steering a battleship. I like "Swastika Girls" but it does become overshadowed by the genius of "THMC."

Evening Star certainly has some of the most beautiful and the most ominous sounding music ever recorded. "Wind on Water" and "Evening Star" are simply superb. The latter contains one of Fripp's best solos ever. I find "Evensong" to be a bit weak, and of course "Wind on Wind" is just a snippet of "Discreet Music," though it does fit well in the context. What I like about "An Index of Metals" is the formlessness, the dissonance, and the overall hugeness of the piece. It's also a very brave piece--who else would dare to record something like that?

IMO, both albums are truly musical gems to be cherished and admired. The were not only milestones in their time, but they are also timeless and work quite well as enjoyable listening in any era. And they remain impressive--easily blowing away anything being produced by the so-called New Age artists.
Walking out's just another metaphor.
MiKcrobe
ProjeKction Participant

Postby schizoidman2112 on Sun Jun 04, 2006 8:38 pm

Been trying to find a copy of Evening Star lately....can't seem to find one anywhere. I emailed DGM and they said they're planning on rereleasing the Fripp & Eno stuff later next year.

BTW, how are the other tracks on the "Essential Fripp & Eno" disc? I already have No Pussyfooting and Equatorial Stars, and I'm wondering if that disc is worth picking up.
schizoidman2112
ProjeKction Fan

Postby vrooom on Sun Jun 04, 2006 8:55 pm

schizoidman2112 wrote:BTW, how are the other tracks on the "Essential Fripp & Eno" disc? I already have No Pussyfooting and Equatorial Stars, and I'm wondering if that disc is worth picking up.

Healthy Colours is a non-essential track. However, Evening Star is a must-have release and for me is a more satisfying exploration of looped music as I tend to enjoy the more melodic stuff.

Darren
vrooom
Button Pusher

Postby Riverman on Mon Jun 05, 2006 2:42 pm

schizoidman2112 wrote:I already have No Pussyfooting and Equatorial Stars, and I'm wondering if that disc is worth picking up.

Not if you're planning on grabbing Evening Star at some point.
The sound of one hand clapping is the same as the sound of a tree falling when no one's around to hear it.
Riverman
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby MiKcrobe on Mon Jun 05, 2006 2:48 pm

schizoidman2112 wrote:I emailed DGM and they said they're planning on rereleasing the Fripp & Eno stuff later next year.

Some interesting news...
http://home.cogeco.ca/~frippertronics/F ... ronics.htm
It appears we are going to shortly see an additional Fripp & Eno release with unheard material on DGM Live courtesy of Brian Eno himself. Sid Smith has confirmed that the material consists of unused or alternate takes from “The Equatorial Stars”, as well as some dating back to Eno’s “My Squelchy Life / Nerve Net” recordings.

This site has been recently contacted by Sid Smith of DGM Live ! with regards to getting some of these and hopefully other Frippertronics concerts available to the general public via digital download.
Walking out's just another metaphor.
MiKcrobe
ProjeKction Participant

Postby Dog_none on Tue Jun 06, 2006 12:54 am

Very cool news...I'd love to hear some complete Frippertronics concerts.

And "My Squelchy Life" era stuff is intriguing. Speaking of which, does "My Squelchy Life" actually exist anywhere? Were there ever any promo copies or anything released?
I was just now thinking about the Jaws Of Life
how they chew you up and spit you right
back into the frying pan
Dog_none
Projizzle Dizzle Nizzle

Postby schizoidman2112 on Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:19 am

vrooom wrote:
schizoidman2112 wrote:BTW, how are the other tracks on the "Essential Fripp & Eno" disc? I already have No Pussyfooting and Equatorial Stars, and I'm wondering if that disc is worth picking up.

Healthy Colours is a non-essential track. However, Evening Star is a must-have release and for me is a more satisfying exploration of looped music as I tend to enjoy the more melodic stuff.

Darren

Thanks, I guess I'll have to wait a bit for Evening Star to be available again.

MiKcrobe wrote:
schizoidman2112 wrote:I emailed DGM and they said they're planning on rereleasing the Fripp & Eno stuff later next year.

Some interesting news...
http://home.cogeco.ca/~frippertronics/F ... ronics.htm
It appears we are going to shortly see an additional Fripp & Eno release with unheard material on DGM Live courtesy of Brian Eno himself. Sid Smith has confirmed that the material consists of unused or alternate takes from “The Equatorial Stars”, as well as some dating back to Eno’s “My Squelchy Life / Nerve Net” recordings.

This site has been recently contacted by Sid Smith of DGM Live ! with regards to getting some of these and hopefully other Frippertronics concerts available to the general public via digital download.

Excellent news. I'd love to be able to get some of the Frippertronic concerts. :D
Last edited by schizoidman2112 on Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
schizoidman2112
ProjeKction Fan

Postby vrooom on Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:20 am

Dog_none wrote:Were there ever any promo copies or anything released?

I seem to recall that a couple of promo copies were sent out to journalists and then Eno changed his mind and decided to revise the album into "Nerve Net". Some of the tracks from "My Squelchy Life" appear on the "Vocal" boxset, which is rather nice to have. Those tracks were: "I Fall Up", "Stiff", "Under" and "Over". "Under" was later released on "Another Day on Earth" and this was one reason that I was pissed off with that album because only Eno could release a track that was 14 years old and no-one slaps him around for it.

Darren
vrooom
Button Pusher

Postby Dog_none on Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:10 am

vrooom wrote:
Dog_none wrote:Were there ever any promo copies or anything released?

I seem to recall that a couple of promo copies were sent out to journalists and then Eno changed his mind and decided to revise the album into "Nerve Net". Some of the tracks from "My Squelchy Life" appear on the "Vocal" boxset, which is rather nice to have. Those tracks were: "I Fall Up", "Stiff", "Under" and "Over". "Under" was later released on "Another Day on Earth" and this was one reason that I was pissed off with that album because only Eno could release a track that was 14 years old and no-one slaps him around for it.

Darren

Right, now I remember reading about this. I also seem to remember the consensus being that "My Squelchy Life" was a vastly superior album and that Eno regrets the change. Of course, as usual, I probably have my facts mixed up.

Maybe in this age of remasters, revisions and un-revisions we'll get to hear it at some point.
I was just now thinking about the Jaws Of Life
how they chew you up and spit you right
back into the frying pan
Dog_none
Projizzle Dizzle Nizzle

Next

Return to Reviews