free counter with statistics
:: ProjeKction - King Crimson NET :: • View topic - John Wetton/Richard Palmer-James – Monkey Business 1972-1997

John Wetton/Richard Palmer-James – Monkey Business 1972-1997

Post all your reviews here - whether they are album reviews, gig reviews or DVD reviews.

John Wetton/Richard Palmer-James – Monkey Business 1972-1997

Postby The Crimson Fox on Sun May 28, 2006 11:41 pm

Dug this CD out and gave it a listen tonight. I didn’t realise how much King Crimson related material and outtakes were on here. It’s quite an interesting listen but a hit and miss affair (or should I say a scrappy one!) especially the non-related KC material (Rich Men Lie sounds like Richard Palmer James was trying out his new keyboard and sounds incredibly dated… You judge for yourself!!). Anyone who is interested in the latter 1972 to 1974 King Crimson incarnation should check this out. I have detailed the items of interest below:

Track 3, Confessions - This track was recorded in 1976 and contains some precise drumming from Bill Bruford and some fantastic bass by John Wetton. My favourite track on this album.

Track 4, Easy Money – This is a demo recorded at Bill Bruford’s house in London, 1972 with drums by Bill and Vocal/Piano by John.

Track 5, The Night Watch – A live acoustic version recorded in Brazil 1991 by John and his backing band at that time.

Track 6, Woman – This is a rough demo but is Fallen Angel in an early form.

Track 7, (False Start) – It sounds like a clip from a King Crimson in rehearsal complete with a Robert Fripp confusing statement at the end.

Track 12, The Good Ship Enterprise – This sounds like an outtake from Red (it reminds me of One More Redmare). Lots of mellotron sounds and Bruford’s crisp drumming.

Track 13 & 14, Book of Saturday – A rough demo recorded at Bill Bruford’s house followed by a live version from John from 1994 ends with a spoken tag from Mr Fripp.

Track 16, Starless 1 – Piano and vocal demo recorded at John Wetton’s parents house

Track 20, Magazines – According to the CD booklet this song was originally written for King Crimson but didn’t appear on any of the KC albums. This does remind me of Fallen Allen though.

Track 21, Starless 2 – A rough acoustic guitar and vocal demo in spring 1974

Track 23, Doctor Diamond 1997 – contains a source recording from King Crimson live at the beginning but I cant place it… I know it’s off The Great Deceiver box set. Another one of those...I can play a Yamaha exercise… definitely not the best version I have heard of this song. Very weak!!!

Track 24, Starless 1997 – A sub-standard version of the King Crimson classic. It’s only 5 minutes 31 seconds long so don’t expect any breathtaking climax. This is a very weak version… piano, vocals and keyboards only. John Wetton vocals sound too forced to me on this one.

Overall, this is definitely an item of interest to a King Crimson fan (that’s why I bought it in the first place). It shows me what King Crimson could have sounded like without Robert Fripp at the helm… i.e some alright songs but no mystery and presence whatsoever.

Anyone else have this album? What do you think of it?
The Crimson Fox
ProjeKction Savant

Re: John Wetton/Richard Palmer-James – Monkey Business 1972-

Postby vrooom on Sun May 28, 2006 11:58 pm

The Crimson Fox wrote:Anyone else have this album? What do you think of it?

Got this courtesy of eMusic. It's a bit of a curio. Glad I didn't buy the CD version. The 1997 retoolings of Doctor Diamond and Starless stink to high heaven and should be heard to be believed. You gave a pretty good summation of it, however, it's not essential. If you want it, get a free trial on eMusic and get it that way. Whatever you do, don't part good money for this unless you are extremely rich or extremely stupid or both. :D

Darren
vrooom
Button Pusher

Postby The Crimson Fox on Mon May 29, 2006 12:50 am

vrooom wrote:

Got this courtesy of eMusic. It's a bit of a curio. Glad I didn't buy the CD version. The 1997 retoolings of Doctor Diamond and Starless stink to high heaven and should be heard to be believed. You gave a pretty good summation of it, however, it's not essential. If you want it, get a free trial on eMusic and get it that way. Whatever you do, don't part good money for this unless you are extremely rich or extremely stupid or both. :D

Darren

I don't fall into any of your above mentioned categories...I bought this in 1998 when it was first released...

Anyway, Daz...

Why are you selling all your KC related stuff on E-Bay call yourself a fan!!! MP3 music sucks and is just carbon copy music!!! I HATE IT!!!

Where's your actual, physical collection?... Going, Going, Gone!!!

How many DGM Live releases do you own? Well...?

I don't understand you!!!!
The Crimson Fox
ProjeKction Savant

Postby Indyrod on Mon May 29, 2006 1:21 am

The Crimson Fox wrote:
vrooom wrote:

Darren

I don't fall into any of your above mentioned categories...I bought this in 1998 when it was first released...

Anyway, Daz...

Why are you selling all your KC related stuff on E-Bay call yourself a fan!!! MP3 music sucks and is just carbon copy music!!! I HATE IT!!!

Where's your actual, physical collection?... Going, Going, Gone!!!

How many DGM Live releases do you own? Well...?

I don't understand you!!!!

None of us understand Darren TCF, so don't lose any sleep trying to figure out what he's doing at any moment in time. Now this guy who calls himself The Crimson Avenger, at least right now, he does tend to change his name occasionally, is a total lunatic who hates John Wetton and knows very little about music, so just ignore him like most of the rest of us do. :twisted:

Incidently, that album you mentioned sounds pretty good to me, I need to check it out.
Everyone thinks I'm psychotic, except for my friends deep inside the earth.

de gustibus non est disputandum
Indyrod
Permanently Temporary ProjeKction Admin

Postby Yorkshire Square on Mon May 29, 2006 9:47 am

This is quite an interesting album. Contrary to Darren's comments, the Dr Diamond and Starless tracks don't stink, but Crimson they ain't. I find the funked up Dr Diamond rather groovy actually.

Apparently "The Good Ship Enterprise" was earmarked as a future Crimson track. I recall reading an interview with JW somewhere and he said it would have been on the album after "Red". It wouldn't surprise me if "Magazines" was in a similar folder.

I got mine on e-music too. Good for trying new stuff, but having a real product with decent artwork and liner-notes must still be a preference...
I tell you it's no fun
Being on Proje-e-ekshun
Yorkshire Square
ProjeKction Veteran

Postby vrooom on Mon May 29, 2006 10:38 am

The Crimson Fox wrote:I don't fall into any of your above mentioned categories...I bought this in 1998 when it was first released...

That's just your opinion... :D

The Crimson Fox wrote:Why are you selling all your KC related stuff on E-Bay call yourself a fan!!! MP3 music sucks and is just carbon copy music!!! I HATE IT!!!

I sell the records I no longer "need". Records that I declare as non-essential. Will I miss that copy of "King's Road" or "One Thousand Years" or "Pieces of the Sun"? No, I will not. They are superfluous to my requirements. Make room, make room...

As for MP3, it's a decent format. It all depends on what you use it for. I prefer it to having a CD Walkman which is too bulky to carry around now. Carbon copy music? What do you think a CD is? You think each one is lovingly crafted by elves in a magic grotto? No, each one is stamped into life, a carbon copy of the master. Yes, you can lovingly caress the packaging, but once you fall out of love with the album what use is it? I sell the stuff which is being underappreciated, so that it can find a home with someone who can give it the love I can no longer spare.

The Crimson Fox wrote:Where's your actual, physical collection?... Going, Going, Gone!!!

My physical collection? It's still in four blue plastic crates, one of those contains my entire KC/RF catalogue. You would still marvel at my King Crimson collection for it is in fine form. Do I need several copies of the same thing that I've collected over the years? No. All superfluous stuff. How big is your King Crimson CD collection? If you are into willy waving, I think I can beat you there... 8)

The Crimson Fox wrote:How many DGM Live releases do you own? Well...?

I don't because:

1) There are no releases I want - nearly went for the Shepherd's Bush Empire release, but it wasn't the date I attended. If they release any concert at which I was present, I can assure you I will be buying it for novelty value
2) I already own all the KCCC releases on CD which are enough already
3) The price for digital music is prohibitive in my opinion. If they drop the price to $5 a pop, then I'll think about it

The Crimson Fox wrote:I don't understand you!!!!

Good. That's the point.

Darren
vrooom
Button Pusher

Postby The Crimson Fox on Mon May 29, 2006 1:16 pm

Fair comment... Smart Ass :lol: :lol:

Now about this willy waving!? :wink:

By the way... In respect of your challenge....I think my King Crimson collection would surpass yours especially now!!! If I had the time I would detail it on here but lifes too short.
The Crimson Fox
ProjeKction Savant

Postby vrooom on Mon May 29, 2006 2:08 pm

The Crimson Fox wrote:I think my King Crimson collection would surpass yours especially now!!!

Maybe...who knows? The problem with a lot of people is a hoarding mentality. I wouldn't want to die tomorrow and leave an awful mess behind, so I believe I have a couple of years left to start tidying up. ;-)

Darren
vrooom
Button Pusher

Re: John Wetton/Richard Palmer-James – Monkey Business 1972-1997

Postby CrimsonKing73 on Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:50 pm

ALL KING CRIMSON ENTHUSIASTS!

do NOT read this thread (except for the 1st post).

These people are more concerned with their own personal ego-ism than with providing a good, well-listened, objective critique of "Monkey Business"...........

When I read the thread, I wasn't sure by the end whether or not to buy the damn thing!

Leave your EGOs at home, kids!
"Liberalism is a mental disorder" -- Michael Savage, PhD
CrimsonKing73
ProjeKction Abecedarian

Re: John Wetton/Richard Palmer-James – Monkey Business 1972-1997

Postby vrooom on Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:09 pm

Personally, I wouldn't waste your money on this collection of half-baked demos. There's more interesting fare to be had on the "extras" of the 40th anniversary KC releases. The retooling of Doktor Diamon is, in fact, a crime against music. If you are an eMusic subscriber you could waste your credits on this, but don't. Spend your money on something more useful, like a chocolate teapot or something...
vrooom
Button Pusher

Next

Return to Reviews