free counter with statistics
:: ProjeKction - King Crimson NET :: • View topic - KCCC #29 -- Heidelberg 1974

KCCC #29 -- Heidelberg 1974

Post all your reviews here - whether they are album reviews, gig reviews or DVD reviews.

Postby vrooom on Wed Apr 27, 2005 9:36 am

Indyrod wrote:
vrooom wrote:
Sebastian Knight wrote:I posted a review the day I got the disk. Just not, y'know, here...
:twisted:

May I ask why you don't feel like sharing your views here?

Darren

I wouldn't worry too much about that, the truth arrives here sooner than later.....

I was just curious. I thought SK was a supporter of this place, but obviously he isn't. :roll:

Darren
vrooom
Button Pusher

Postby Fred Zappelin on Sat Apr 30, 2005 5:16 pm

Dog_none wrote:Crap. That's the track I wanted to hear. I'll get this one eventually, but I'm going to wait until there's more stuff to order along with it (although with 15% flat rate shipping, what's the difference?).

That's exactly what I'm thinking. I'll get it in a few months, probably when Brighton comes out. I really want the first two album remasters, but not for $15 + shipping. Been surfing used shops and ebay alot lately. They'll probably pop up in months.

I wanted to order that Willie Oteri "Spiral Out" CD from DGM, since it wasn't cheaper anywhere else. As soon as they had it listed first week of April, it was sold out and remained that way for several weeks. Being a small label Japanese release, I figured it was gone for good.

Ended up finding it sealed/new on half.com for $20 w/shipping. It is a really great disc. Now I see it's back in stock at DGM :shock: . Maybe next time they should make a note with out of stock items; whether or not it's temporary or permanent.
Fred Zappelin
ProjeKction Connoisseur

Postby diderot on Tue May 03, 2005 3:20 pm

The lack of information concerning those items is appalling. I think they should hire a CRM guy.

They still list "Sunday All Over the World" in the drop-down list, though they have just on title that's out of stock for more than a year ago...
Diderot
diderot
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby octopus92 on Sat May 21, 2005 10:22 am

About the "Starless" version of this KCCC : it came just after the improv and IMHO, Fripp was in another world at the end of the improv because he started the guitar-like a mandolina riff of the beginning of "Night watch" :lol:
I suppose that suddenly he realized it wasn't the right track of the list and then moved on the beginning of "Starless" :roll:
This version of "Starless" is, I think disappointed particularly in the vocal section ; only the group seems cohesive in the instrumental part...
Overall, not an essential purchase (what a pity about "Fractured" cut : BB was in a really good mood on the 3 minutes of the track) but sometimes interesting : for completists only... :D
octopus92
ProjeKction Connoisseur

Postby Fred Zappelin on Sat May 21, 2005 3:14 pm

octopus92 wrote:Overall, not an essential purchase (what a pity about "Fractured" cut : BB was in a really good mood on the 3 minutes of the track) but sometimes interesting : for completists only... :D

I'm still undecided about when I'm going to get this one. This is the first CC in a few years that I didn't buy right away. I have and really enjoy Mainz, but I think I'll wait awhile on this. It has gotten a few convincing reviews at the DGM customer review section, but I'm thinking more along your lines.
Fred Zappelin
ProjeKction Connoisseur

Postby GrassySound on Mon May 23, 2005 9:42 pm

The sound quality is not as good as the Mainz show. The drums seem to almost have a gated reverb to them (snare especially), which sometimes drowns out the other instruments. It results in an odd mix at times.
"Progress is not possible without deviation from the norm." - Frank Zappa
GrassySound
ProjeKction Fan

Postby Fred Zappelin on Tue May 24, 2005 10:14 pm

OK, changed my mind after listening to a shitload of Club CDs this weekend that I've neglected for a few months. Need Heidelburg and the first two CD reissues, plus the discount this month is nice.
Fred Zappelin
ProjeKction Connoisseur

Postby MiKcrobe on Thu Oct 27, 2005 9:02 pm

Dog_none wrote:I'll get this one eventually, but I'm going to wait until there's more stuff to order along with it (although with 15% flat rate shipping, what's the difference?).

The difference is that there is a minumum shipping charge of $3 which is 15% of $20, so never order less than $20 worth of stuff or you are overpaying on shipping.
Walking out's just another metaphor.
MiKcrobe
ProjeKction Participant

Postby MiKcrobe on Mon Oct 31, 2005 7:15 pm

I just got this on Saturday. I like it. I'm glad I didn't pass on it. A few of the versions are a bit different, such as "Exiles", which is probably the longest ever with that extended intro. The improvs are good, even the first one, which is similar to "The Savage" on Mainz, which I happen to like. I know they're more or less "warming up" thingies, but they're enjoyable nonetheless. And of course, Heidelberg II is a stomper.

"Starless" is an odd one. As has been mentioned, Fripp starts out playing "The Night Watch" at first before being steered in the right direction, plus he flubs a few notes at different points, and finally, the ending is someone stilted. Fripp redeems himself, however, by offering a rather firey solo during the "all-Hell-breaks-loose" section. It's as if he was doing penance for his mistakes.

"Dr. Diamond," and "Lament" are strong performances. "Lament" is one I normally don't care much for, but on this day, it seemed to work a little better. "The Night Watch" and "Easy Money" don't really offer anything unusual, but are solid performances. I found the sound quality to be at least as good, if not better than, Central Park, even if doesn't quite measure up to Mainz. It's quite listenable. Plus Wetton's bass sounds quite crunchy and thunderous at times.
Walking out's just another metaphor.
MiKcrobe
ProjeKction Participant

Postby laurent m on Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:22 am

MiKcrobe wrote:A few of the versions are a bit different, such as "Exiles", which is probably the longest ever with that extended intro.

Just because they decided not to make the improvised intro a separate track, as they did in Mainz (Arabica) and Pittsburgh (Bartley Butsford).
laurent m
ProjeKction Fan

PreviousNext

Return to Reviews