free counter with statistics
:: ProjeKction - King Crimson NET :: • View topic - KCCC #29 -- Heidelberg 1974

KCCC #29 -- Heidelberg 1974

Post all your reviews here - whether they are album reviews, gig reviews or DVD reviews.

KCCC #29 -- Heidelberg 1974

Postby RYG on Tue Apr 26, 2005 4:47 pm

Anybody receive this one yet? It's no longer listed as a pre-order at DGM.

I'm waiting until KCCC#30 becomes available (I hope it's Brighton Dome '71) so I can order them together.
My favorite movies (right now):
"Lost In Translation", "Mulholland Drive", "Pulp Fiction", "Sin City", "Buffalo '66", "Ghost World", "Apocolypse Now (Redux)", "Donnie Darko", "Raising Arizona", "Shawshank Redemption"
RYG
ProjeKction Freak

Postby Sebastian Knight on Tue Apr 26, 2005 5:40 pm

Yes. I got mine last Saturday.
And yes, it says that KCCC30 will be Brighton on the booklet.

The short version of the Review:

The main reason to get this disk is the improv labeled "Heidelberg II". This is a 7-minute improv similar in feel to Asbury Park, but enough different to stand on its own. It's very funky, and very good. It segues directly into a solid version of Starless, making for a great 1-2 punch.

The other thing labeled an Improv on the disk, "Heidelberg I" is just one of those gradual build-up introductory things, and isn't particularly notable.

There's a very good version of Exiles with its own little introductory improv, also, which is probably a better improvisation than the one marked as "Heidelberg I".

The other reason to get this might be another version of Doctor Diamond. There are few enough recordings of this that track that a new one is at least somewhat important. This version is similar to Mainz, and is slighty spoiled by an awkward ending (it just sort of stops).

All the performances on the disk are good, but unlike with Mainz, they don't sound much different than what we've heard before.

Note that the "Fracture" recorded here is only a 3-minute Frac-ment that gets cut off suddenly. The little bit we've got sounds like it's going to be a really good performance, but then its Fracture Interruptus.

Of the various recordings from 74 (USA, parts of TGD box, Mainz, Central Park), this is probably the least essential. Worth buying for completists, particularly if you really need that improv, but if you don't already have one of the other '74 recordings listed you should buy that one first.

Sound quality is good, as it has been with other '74 recordings.
Sebastian Knight

Postby Indyrod on Tue Apr 26, 2005 6:26 pm

Sebastian Knight wrote:Note that the "Fracture" recorded here is only a 3-minute Frac-ment that gets cut off suddenly. The little bit we've got sounds like it's going to be a really good performance, but then its Fracture Interruptus.

That pretty much seals the deal on me not getting this one. I wanted a full live Fracture. How is the Starless?
Everyone thinks I'm psychotic, except for my friends deep inside the earth.

de gustibus non est disputandum
Indyrod
Permanently Temporary ProjeKction Admin

Postby vrooom on Tue Apr 26, 2005 6:28 pm

Sebastian Knight wrote:Yes. I got mine last Saturday.
And yes, it says that KCCC30 will be Brighton on the booklet.

Took yer time sharing the goods... :roll:

Darren
vrooom
Button Pusher

Postby RYG on Tue Apr 26, 2005 8:09 pm

How about the sound quality? It's from a mixing board so I'd assume that it's on a par with Mainz's. Is it?
My favorite movies (right now):
"Lost In Translation", "Mulholland Drive", "Pulp Fiction", "Sin City", "Buffalo '66", "Ghost World", "Apocolypse Now (Redux)", "Donnie Darko", "Raising Arizona", "Shawshank Redemption"
RYG
ProjeKction Freak

Postby Sebastian Knight on Tue Apr 26, 2005 8:14 pm

Indyrod wrote:That pretty much seals the deal on me not getting this one. I wanted a full live Fracture. How is the Starless?

The Starless is a very strong version, but I'm not sure it adds much to the picture. I think the Mainz version is significantly different from others because of how the loud chaotic stuff after the big build-up unfolds. I think the Providence recording is really intense. This is another solid Starless, to put somewhere alongside the expanded USA and Central Park versions. The main point of interest in the Starless (other than the usual "Starless Rules!") is that it segues straight from the improv.

Darren wrote:Took yer time sharing the goods... :roll:

I posted a review the day I got the disk. Just not, y'know, here...
:twisted:

RYG: Yeah, sound quality is very good.
Sebastian Knight

Postby vrooom on Tue Apr 26, 2005 8:25 pm

Sebastian Knight wrote:I posted a review the day I got the disk. Just not, y'know, here...

May I ask why you don't feel like sharing your views here?

Darren
vrooom
Button Pusher

Postby Dog_none on Wed Apr 27, 2005 1:02 am

Sebastian Knight wrote:Note that the "Fracture" recorded here is only a 3-minute Frac-ment that gets cut off suddenly. The little bit we've got sounds like it's going to be a really good performance, but then its Fracture Interruptus.

Crap. That's the track I wanted to hear. I'll get this one eventually, but I'm going to wait until there's more stuff to order along with it (although with 15% flat rate shipping, what's the difference?).
I was just now thinking about the Jaws Of Life
how they chew you up and spit you right
back into the frying pan
Dog_none
Projizzle Dizzle Nizzle

Postby Indyrod on Wed Apr 27, 2005 5:20 am

Sebastian Knight wrote:
Indyrod wrote:That pretty much seals the deal on me not getting this one. I wanted a full live Fracture. How is the Starless?

The Starless is a very strong version, but I'm not sure it adds much to the picture. I think the Mainz version is significantly different from others because of how the loud chaotic stuff after the big build-up unfolds.

My favorite recording of Starless is from Mainz, so I can't think of any reason to order this one.

Indyrod

Postby Indyrod on Wed Apr 27, 2005 5:23 am

vrooom wrote:
Sebastian Knight wrote:I posted a review the day I got the disk. Just not, y'know, here...

May I ask why you don't feel like sharing your views here?

Darren

I wouldn't worry too much about that, the truth arrives here sooner than later.....

Indyrod

Next

Return to Reviews