free counter with statistics
:: ProjeKction - King Crimson NET :: • View topic - King Crimson's Sheltering Sky/Starless remake

King Crimson's Sheltering Sky/Starless remake

Tell us what you are listening to at the moment. What are the albums in heavy rotation on your system?

King Crimson's Sheltering Sky/Starless remake

Postby exmatproton on Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:25 pm

Hi,

I produced a remake of Sheltering Sky and i was wonderring what some reall KC fans think of it.

The remake is totally arranged with the pc and the only sample i've taken is the percussion at the beginning of the track. The rest is synths and effects. The solo's from Robbert Fripp are carefully remade. Its is not
1 on 1, but pretty ok.

Ofcourse you can give some feedback, but i am really happy the way it sounds. Also, i don't like to remake music. Especially music from great artists. But this particular track is so special to me, i had to give it a try!

link to the track: http://soundcloud.com/exmatproton/king- ... ake-by-exm
Last edited by exmatproton on Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
exmatproton
ProjeKction Abecedarian
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:18 pm

Re: King Crimson's Sheltering Sky remake

Postby Indyrod on Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:30 am

very nice, and with proper reverance. now, your next assigment is a digital remake of Fracture. :twisted:

oh yea, welcome to the joint...
Everyone thinks I'm psychotic, except for my friends deep inside the earth.

de gustibus non est disputandum
User avatar
Indyrod
Permanently Temporary ProjeKction Admin
 
Posts: 5371
Joined: Tue Feb 11, 2003 5:05 pm
Location: USA

Re: King Crimson's Sheltering Sky remake

Postby exmatproton on Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:36 am

Indyrod wrote:very nice, and with proper reverance. now, your next assigment is a digital remake of Fracture. :twisted:

oh yea, welcome to the joint...


Thnx a lot! I've done a remake of Starless (only the part with the voice), but it became more of a poppy track. However, i can post it here ofcourse and see what you guys think!

Starless: http://soundcloud.com/exmatproton/starless-remake
exmatproton
ProjeKction Abecedarian
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:18 pm

Re: King Crimson's Sheltering Sky remake

Postby MarkSullivan on Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:49 am

Well done. You mention Fripp's part on Sheltering Sky, but I think Adrian's solo gave you a lot more trouble. I like the vocalist on your version of Starless. We've got an absent member who hates John Wetton's voice. I bet he would have really appreciated this!
User avatar
MarkSullivan
ProjeKction Godlike
 
Posts: 1317
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2003 12:44 am
Location: Charlotte, NC, USA

Re: King Crimson's Sheltering Sky remake

Postby exmatproton on Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:01 am

MarkSullivan wrote:Well done. You mention Fripp's part on Sheltering Sky, but I think Adrian's solo gave you a lot more trouble. I like the vocalist on your version of Starless. We've got an absent member who hates John Wetton's voice. I bet he would have really appreciated this!


Thanks!!! Adrian's solo wasn't a big deal in terms of programming. Fripp's solo was. It was intentional to alter the original solo from Adrian. However, i must admit, the original solo from Adrian is better! But i think
these sounds are pretty ok. I can remeber when i was like 3 years old and my dad played this record i was getting the goose bumps when those "strange" alien-like strings were playing. I totally love Sheltering Sky.
For me it is the best track/part ever. Altough i am more into Autechre these days.

About Starless, it was so much fun to do and i agree, the woman's voice works with this track. I've recorded it twice, placed one on the left and one on the right. Only 2 recordings were needed. There are some things
i am still not happy about, like the "plastic", "computer" sound of the bass. Also, the original drum section is way better and advanced. Both tracks are just lessons for me in terms of programming and mastering.
exmatproton
ProjeKction Abecedarian
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:18 pm

Re: King Crimson's Sheltering Sky remake

Postby Indyrod on Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:18 pm

exmatproton wrote:
Indyrod wrote:very nice, and with proper reverance. now, your next assigment is a digital remake of Fracture. :twisted:

oh yea, welcome to the joint...


Thnx a lot! I've done a remake of Starless (only the part with the voice), but it became more of a poppy track. However, i can post it here ofcourse and see what you guys think!

Starless: http://soundcloud.com/exmatproton/starless-remake


STARLESS being my favorite song period, you did a remarkable job in giving it a new unique sound, by just concentrating on the vocals. It gives the song a different feel without all the instrumental magic in the original, and makes it very beautiful in it's own right. nice work.
Everyone thinks I'm psychotic, except for my friends deep inside the earth.

de gustibus non est disputandum
User avatar
Indyrod
Permanently Temporary ProjeKction Admin
 
Posts: 5371
Joined: Tue Feb 11, 2003 5:05 pm
Location: USA

Re: King Crimson's Sheltering Sky remake

Postby exmatproton on Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:14 pm

Indyrod wrote:
exmatproton wrote:
Indyrod wrote:very nice, and with proper reverance. now, your next assigment is a digital remake of Fracture. :twisted:

oh yea, welcome to the joint...


Thnx a lot! I've done a remake of Starless (only the part with the voice), but it became more of a poppy track. However, i can post it here ofcourse and see what you guys think!

Starless: http://soundcloud.com/exmatproton/starless-remake


STARLESS being my favorite song period, you did a remarkable job in giving it a new unique sound, by just concentrating on the vocals. It gives the song a different feel without all the instrumental magic in the original, and makes it very beautiful in it's own right. nice work.


Wow...thank you very much for this nice comment/feedback! Ofcourse a lot of thanks to the singer. She performed really good. Considering only 2 recordings were needed!
Thanks again!!! Really appreciate it!
exmatproton
ProjeKction Abecedarian
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:18 pm

Re: King Crimson's Sheltering Sky remake

Postby diderot on Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:44 am

exmatproton wrote:
MarkSullivan wrote:Well done. You mention Fripp's part on Sheltering Sky, but I think Adrian's solo gave you a lot more trouble. I like the vocalist on your version of Starless. We've got an absent member who hates John Wetton's voice. I bet he would have really appreciated this!


Thanks!!! Adrian's solo wasn't a big deal in terms of programming. Fripp's solo was. It was intentional to alter the original solo from Adrian. However, i must admit, the original solo from Adrian is better! But i think
these sounds are pretty ok. I can remeber when i was like 3 years old and my dad played this record i was getting the goose bumps when those "strange" alien-like strings were playing. I totally love Sheltering Sky.
For me it is the best track/part ever. Altough i am more into Autechre these days.

About Starless, it was so much fun to do and i agree, the woman's voice works with this track. I've recorded it twice, placed one on the left and one on the right. Only 2 recordings were needed. There are some things
i am still not happy about, like the "plastic", "computer" sound of the bass. Also, the original drum section is way better and advanced. Both tracks are just lessons for me in terms of programming and mastering.


Congratulations! You did a great job on both. I listened carefully to Starless and I didn't get the "plastic" feel on bass. It's exactly were it's needed! The double vocal was great too.

Sheltering Sky is a music I love since first listening (well, I was a little older than you...).
Diderot
User avatar
diderot
ProjeKction Godlike
 
Posts: 1268
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2003 10:06 pm
Location: BRAZIL

Re: King Crimson's Sheltering Sky remake

Postby exmatproton on Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:15 pm

diderot wrote:
exmatproton wrote:
MarkSullivan wrote:Well done. You mention Fripp's part on Sheltering Sky, but I think Adrian's solo gave you a lot more trouble. I like the vocalist on your version of Starless. We've got an absent member who hates John Wetton's voice. I bet he would have really appreciated this!


Thanks!!! Adrian's solo wasn't a big deal in terms of programming. Fripp's solo was. It was intentional to alter the original solo from Adrian. However, i must admit, the original solo from Adrian is better! But i think
these sounds are pretty ok. I can remeber when i was like 3 years old and my dad played this record i was getting the goose bumps when those "strange" alien-like strings were playing. I totally love Sheltering Sky.
For me it is the best track/part ever. Altough i am more into Autechre these days.

About Starless, it was so much fun to do and i agree, the woman's voice works with this track. I've recorded it twice, placed one on the left and one on the right. Only 2 recordings were needed. There are some things
i am still not happy about, like the "plastic", "computer" sound of the bass. Also, the original drum section is way better and advanced. Both tracks are just lessons for me in terms of programming and mastering.


Congratulations! You did a great job on both. I listened carefully to Starless and I didn't get the "plastic" feel on bass. It's exactly were it's needed! The double vocal was great too.

Sheltering Sky is a music I love since first listening (well, I was a little older than you...).


Thnaks for the nice comment!
exmatproton
ProjeKction Abecedarian
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:18 pm

Re: King Crimson's Sheltering Sky/Starless remake

Postby Krimzep on Wed Dec 30, 2015 6:55 am

Very Nice! It's hard to rework other people's music and make it feel right. Good job.
User avatar
Krimzep
ProjeKction Godlike
 
Posts: 1044
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2005 10:06 am


Return to The Listening Post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest