free counter with statistics
:: ProjeKction - King Crimson NET :: • View topic - THE YOUNG PERSON'S GUIDE TO ADRIAN BELEW

THE YOUNG PERSON'S GUIDE TO ADRIAN BELEW

Tell us what you are listening to at the moment. What are the albums in heavy rotation on your system?

Postby evktalo on Sun Oct 08, 2006 12:07 pm

vrooom wrote:Must be more extreme...

Must be more extreme...

Must be more extreme...

Darren

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgn_7IN29NI
evktalo
ProjeKction Devotee

Postby vrooom on Sun Oct 08, 2006 1:57 pm

It was as if someone had followed me around with a camera, you motherfunning, cakesucker...

Darren
vrooom
Button Pusher

Postby Sebastian Knight on Sun Oct 08, 2006 4:11 pm

octopus92 wrote:What is the best of the "Side" albums ?

In some ways I think Side Two is the most interesting of the albums, though he never did much of that stuff live. It's a nice change of pace for Ade, and more consistently good than the other sides I think. All three disks suffer the same basic issue: full price for 35 minutes of music, only about 20 minutes of which are really good. In other words, there's one great album spread over the three disks, but it's not necessarily worth spending $30+ dollars for.
Sebastian Knight

Postby vrooom on Sun Oct 08, 2006 4:39 pm

Sebastian Knight wrote:In other words, there's one great album spread over the three disks, but it's not necessarily worth spending $30+ dollars for.

Hey, that's what I said! :D

Darren
vrooom
Button Pusher

Postby Riverman on Mon Oct 09, 2006 5:29 pm

octopus92 wrote:What is the best of the "Side" albums ?

I say S3. It's the most well-rounded.

Side 1 = largely wacky hard-rocking instrumental stuff with minimal lyrics, plus a couple small 'texture pieces' and a short quiet ballad or two

Side 2 = experimental & electronic, the most minimalist & abstract of the three

Side 3 = a kitchen-sink disc with some hard-rocking instrumentals, some weird soundscapes, some quiet-and-pretty material, some flat-out rock and some of the instrumental stuff too; basically some of everything
The sound of one hand clapping is the same as the sound of a tree falling when no one's around to hear it.
Riverman
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby crimcinnaman on Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:45 pm

I really enjoyed "Young Lions" too, when it came out in 1990. In fact I still like it, check out the title track, Men in Helicopters and I Am What I Am...

http://www.adrianbelew.net/thestore/younglions.html
"My Child is an Honor Student
My President is a Moron"
crimcinnaman
ProjeKction Champion

Postby octopus92 on Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:13 am

Thanks to all for your good recommandations ; I've got now "Op zop too wah", "Lone rhino", "Twang bar king", "The guitar as orchestra" and the Acoustic albums... 8)
Will wait for a box-set with all Sides (1,2,3) and the promised Side 4 live album....
I totally agree that "Op zop..." is really the best (there's even a track that has appeared on the KCCC "Vrooom sessions"...) and "Lone rhino" the next one... :D
Like also "Belewprints - Acoustic Part 2" : interesting things, new lights through old windows like they said with interesting experimentations...
Any news about that old box-set with rare demo tracks that Ade promised back in 2001 ??
octopus92
ProjeKction Connoisseur

Postby Dog_none on Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:36 am

Dunno much about Ade's future plans 'cept when he was here in Philly last time, he said he was comin' back to record Side Four.

I've been mentally camping out for my tickets ever since...
I was just now thinking about the Jaws Of Life
how they chew you up and spit you right
back into the frying pan
Dog_none
Projizzle Dizzle Nizzle

Postby Riverman on Sun Jan 07, 2007 7:56 pm

Yeah, AB said he was thinking of recording S4 around November. Whazzup wit dat?

I'm hoping he's just on delayed time (similar to how belew.net said a month ago that there was a live download coming "in the next few days") and there'll be an announcement soon...
The sound of one hand clapping is the same as the sound of a tree falling when no one's around to hear it.
Riverman
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby The Crimson Fox on Mon Jan 08, 2007 12:59 am

Hey ignore that Belew character... He talks in riddles and most not believed.

I’m still waitng for the experiment guitar series volume two & the dust rarities box set…

Do the math… laddie!!

He's taken a leaf out of Fripp's book!!
The Crimson Fox
ProjeKction Savant

PreviousNext

Return to The Listening Post