free counter with statistics
:: ProjeKction - King Crimson NET :: • View topic - Tool 10.000 Days

Tool 10.000 Days

Tell us what you are listening to at the moment. What are the albums in heavy rotation on your system?

Postby Petary791 on Mon May 15, 2006 2:41 pm

I first got this CD when it leaked a while ago. Upon first listen, I was very dissapointed. I think I was pissed because it took them 5 years to put out something that wasn't a masterpiece. KC would put out like 3 albums a year and they were all amazing. That's what I get for relating Tool to King Crimson. :roll:

Anyways, I decided to buy it after seeing the super cool album art. I gotta say, i'm diggin the album. "Vicarious" is a great song. "Jambi" doesn't do anything for me at all; it sounds like they just wrote it in like 5 minutes. The title tracks don't really do anything for me either. IMO, "The Pot" is one of the best tracks on the album. "Rosetta Stoned" and "Right in Two" are the other best tracks IMO.

I'd give it a 7 out of 10. I like Ænima and Lateralus better.
Petary791

Postby The Crimson Avenger on Mon May 15, 2006 3:10 pm

I'm still not sure what I think of the music, but the much-acclaimed 'artwork' sets new standards in douche-baggery. I suppose if your target audience is morose glue-sniffing fourteen year-old vivesectionists, it may be spot on, but otherwise...

This kind of shit makes me nostalgic for Roger Dean.
The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more fucking punishment in store. Stand it like a man. And give some back.
The Crimson Avenger
ProjeKction Guru

Postby vrooom on Mon May 15, 2006 3:38 pm

My opinion? An understated: "Meh..."

Same old bollocks, innit? Pseudo philosophical teenage angst stained exercise in onanistic frippery. Download it free from Russia and save your money. 8)

Darren
vrooom
Button Pusher

Postby Indyrod on Mon May 15, 2006 5:22 pm

vrooom wrote:Download it free from Russia and save your money. 8)

Darren

and miss the amazing artwork? you knew you weren't going to like it before you heard it, so why waste your time?
Everyone thinks I'm psychotic, except for my friends deep inside the earth.

de gustibus non est disputandum
Indyrod
Permanently Temporary ProjeKction Admin

Postby The Crimson Avenger on Mon May 15, 2006 5:25 pm

Indyrod wrote:
vrooom wrote:Download it free from Russia and save your money. 8)

and miss the amazing artwork?

Ahh, my favorite morose glue-sniffing fourteen year-old vivesectionist checks in.
The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more fucking punishment in store. Stand it like a man. And give some back.
The Crimson Avenger
ProjeKction Guru

Postby vrooom on Mon May 15, 2006 5:33 pm

Indyrod wrote:and miss the amazing artwork? you knew you weren't going to like it before you heard it, so why waste your time?

Two things:

1) I don't buy CDs for their artwork... (C'mon album artwork died with the vinyl LP, grandpa)

2) If I stopped buying all the albums I thought I wasn't going to like, I'd probably stop buying albums altogether. And besides, there were bits of Lateralus that I didn't mind. However, like Porcupine Tree, I still can't quite see what all the fuss is about. It's neither hard enough to be metal, nor progressive enough to be prog. Oh well, each to his own.

Darren
vrooom
Button Pusher

Postby Petary791 on Mon May 15, 2006 11:23 pm

Yeah, I definitely don't want to be a tool. The majority of Tool fans seem to be tools themselves. I don't know how people can worship a band that plays EVERYTHING (excluding like 5 songs) in dropped D minor. :roll:
Petary791

Postby ProgRocker on Tue Jul 04, 2006 9:57 pm

10,000 Days is actually my fav Tool album. I've followed the band since Aemina came out, and so far they just keep on getting better and better IMO. The new album is their best so far, in my opinion, and I'm very pleased with it. 8)

If they continue on this track, I can hardly wait for studio album number 6.
ProgRocker

Postby MondayTuesday on Fri Dec 22, 2006 11:59 pm

last week I was TOOL-ed for the first time at their last but one stop using Zurichs Hallenstadion (by no means a sellout) on their Europe Fall 2006 trek - security was extremely tight, attendees were forced to deposit any baggage and bags somewhere outside ... but to no avail: audios from several recent concerts are on offer at several sites

unrelated to the above I came across Google video because of this technical Mondrian - Code Review On The Web entry ...
... and had a try to search for TOOL videos - here are prime results:
Tool live at Sacramento 1998
1h-29min -"King Buzzo" joins the group for "Stinkfist" starting at 14:17
[url=http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5303667122092804705]Tool live in Inglewood, CA 2002
[/url]
2h-43min - after the concert using a different camera streams focusing on Carey are appended
Tool live at Fresno 2006
1h-39min
[maybe an Gmail account is required to access the stuff mentioned]

very interesting to get a sense of development of things TOOL in '98, in '02 and now '06 this way - they certainly did not start at the top, they reached their high plateau later in phase AEnima released Oct-1996 - we have here TOOL mk II, TOOL mk III and TOOL mk IV: meaning strong development without changing personnel

what has assisted in reaching this top plateau: read here about the bridge leading from Sylvian/Fripps "Damage" to Tools "AEnima" and "Lateralus"

here's another nice piece with Danny Carey mentioning Bill Bruford, Pat Mastelotto and King Crimson
MondayTuesday
ProjeKction Fan

Postby The Crimson Avenger on Sat Dec 23, 2006 12:43 am

The Crimson Avenger wrote:I'm still not sure what I think of the music, but the much-acclaimed 'artwork' sets new standards in douche-baggery. I suppose if your target audience is morose glue-sniffing fourteen year-old vivesectionists, it may be spot on, but otherwise...

This kind of shit makes me nostalgic for Roger Dean.

Thanks for reminding me of what may have been my best post of the year.

Kids, me and my copies of God Pays His Debts Without Money, The Sky Moves Sideways and Lyle Lovett's Joshua Judges Ruth DVD-A will be on the road and in seclusion for the next week or so.

Travel safely, drink heartily, eat bacon, and most importantly, AVOID JOHN WETTON!!!!!!!!
The Crimson Avenger
ProjeKction Guru

PreviousNext

Return to The Listening Post