free counter with statistics
:: ProjeKction - King Crimson NET :: • View topic - Phil Collins and King Crimson

Phil Collins and King Crimson

This is where you get your chance to make your feelings known in our ProjeKction Polls. Feel free to create a Poll on any subject you choose.

should Kc have carried on with that wanker phil collins

no it would have ruined my vision of fripp
19%
sure it would have been great
42%
collins sucks and would have destroyed Kc for ever
34%
no biggie whom ever replaced bill would have been fine
3%

Total votes : 26

Re: Phil Collins and King Crimson

Postby UnderTheShelteringSky on Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:16 am

I like Phil Collins. Shut your mouth. :x
UnderTheShelteringSky
ProjeKction Fan

Postby Indyrod on Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:05 pm

UnderTheShelteringSky wrote:I like Phil Collins. Shut your mouth. :x

You must really be,,,, Patrick Bateman... :o
Everyone thinks I'm psychotic, except for my friends deep inside the earth.

de gustibus non est disputandum
Indyrod
Permanently Temporary ProjeKction Admin

Postby vrooom on Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:43 pm

As a Genesis fan, I have no issue with PC. I think the stuff he did with Brand X is great. His contribution to Another Green World is sublime. So the guy made a fortune writing hit pop songs...there's no crime in being successful. At his peak, he was a top drummer. It is a shame he let the singing get in the way (and I am sure there's a little regret there from PC too). But PC would have been in interesting addition to KC and his contributions to Exposure proves he would have fit.
vrooom
Button Pusher

Postby jtmack on Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:07 am

UnderTheShelteringSky wrote:I like Phil Collins. Shut your mouth. :x

:D My mission is complete button pushed 8) Daren don't get me started :x
jtmack
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby ghostjoshu on Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:41 am

vrooom wrote: His contribution to Another Green World is sublime.

Agreed. Especially on "Sky Saw", you couldn't find a more fitting drum part for that. I don't see why everyone bags his voice though. Sure, its not for Crimson but he can belt out some stuff most people would only dream of, see "Invisible Touch". If Fripp had've chosen Elton John to sing with Phil on drums and backing vox imagine how evil Crimso would have been :twisted:
Fire
Walk with me
ghostjoshu
ProjeKction Savant

Postby jtmack on Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:52 am

More on PG's (hall of fame) participation, I guess I'm not the only one who feels the second Genesis doesn't carry the same musical weight as the first version.

Other members of Genesis: Peter Gabriel's just not that into you

By: PATRICK BERKERY
phillyBurbs.com

Of all the artists of marginal influence and impact the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame has been inducting over the last handful of years, the enshrinement of prog-rock progenitors-cum-unlistenable arena-pop act Genesis puzzles me the most.

As my hyphenated description would imply the Genesis brand represents two entirely separate entities - even though Gabriel and Collins were bandmates for a spell in the early '70s. There's the daring and theatrical band Peter Gabriel helped to found with Mike Rutherford and Tony Banks. And the slick, synth-happy pop version Phil Collins fronted (when he wasn't behind the drum kit) in the '80s.

The Gabriel-fronted Genesis made crazy music to go with Gabriel's crazy costumes. It definitely sound of a particular period (think concept albums with 20-minute songs), but it holds up fairly well. The Collins Genesis achieved global ubiquity with songs that seem even lightweight in a dentist's office. Listen for yourself: Nursery Cryme, with Gabriel, Invisible Touch, with Collins.

As an admitted rockist, I'm not comfortable with such a wildly bipolar band getting to share space with artists of serious influence and substance like Chuck Berry, The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Stevie Wonder, et al. And neither is Peter Gabriel. He's skipping the March 15 induction ceremony because of a "scheduling conflict" with his tour that begins in Europe on March 22.

Genesis was inducted back in December, and Gabriel just now decides he can't make it? Dude wrote "Sledgehammer" and "In Your Eyes." He can't charter a jet?

Nah, it's pretty obvious what's going on here. He's just not that into "Throwing it All Away," "Misunderstanding," "Abacab," and the like. And Phil Collins-era Genesis, he's just not that into you.

February 12, 2010 11:01 AM
jtmack
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby vrooom on Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:24 pm

And for every "Invisible Touch" - there's a "Domino" and for every "Hold on my Heart" there's a "Fading Lights" and for every "That's All" there a "Home by the Sea". I argue that those who don't "get" later Genesis probably haven't actually listened to the albums. All the big prog bits from that early period were actually written by Collins, Banks and Rutherford (remember them) - so when you slag off the 80s band, you are slating those folks who wrote the end section of Cinema Show, and the 9/8 crescendo of Suppers Ready and the majority of "The Lamb". The darkness and edginess from those initial albums is still there, it just grew up. The thing about Genesis is it is a band that actually evolved with the times, unlike some bands who seem keen to stay in their own retro bubble regurgitating the same old themes.

But then I would say that because I am a bona fide Genesis fan... :D
vrooom
Button Pusher

Postby Dog_none on Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:32 am

[quote="jtmack"]More on PG's (hall of fame) participation, I guess I'm not the only one who feels the second Genesis doesn't carry the same musical weight as the first version.

So you have to resort to quoting an article filled with misinformation and speculation to back up your point?
I was just now thinking about the Jaws Of Life
how they chew you up and spit you right
back into the frying pan
Dog_none
Projizzle Dizzle Nizzle

Postby jtmack on Sun Feb 14, 2010 5:13 am

Why not? No one else around here agrees with me. So after months I've finally found someone.
I really wanted talk about PG's absence from the (R&RHOF) gig. Which is something I'd loved to have seen one song like, Supers Ready, The Musical Box, Dancing Out With a Moon lit Night, Cinema Show, etc with PG in full costune (never would have happened anyway). Then a song from the PC's lead vocal period. It would have been special to me a least. I know they wouldn't have ever been admitted R&RHOF if it wasn't PC's poppy hit's.
jtmack
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby Krimzep on Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:08 pm

jtmack wrote:Why not? No one else around here agrees with me. So after months I've finally found someone.
I really wanted talk about PG's absence from the (R&RHOF) gig. Which is something I'd loved to have seen one song like, Supers Ready, The Musical Box, Dancing Out With a Moon lit Night, Cinema Show, etc with PG in full costune (never would have happened anyway). Then a song from the PC's lead vocal period. It would have been special to me a least. I know they wouldn't have ever been admitted R&RHOF if it wasn't PC's poppy hit's.

phil maybe a wanker and all but the stuff he did with the new genesis was great for radio. how can you play the knife or the giant hobstweedle on the air? it can only be played during a time slot set aside for this type of programing. unless I'm wrong not much of peters stuff with genesis is radio friendly in the way that sledge hammer and in your eyes are so his dis of the rorhof is probably due to him maybe feeling that the genesis they are inducting isnt really his genesis and since he doesnt really care about abacabb why should he bother to reschedule some of his tour dates just to show up and make nice..
Krimzep
ProjeKction Godlike

PreviousNext

Return to Polls