free counter with statistics
:: ProjeKction - King Crimson NET :: • View topic - Kc and Peter Sinfield

Kc and Peter Sinfield

This is where you get your chance to make your feelings known in our ProjeKction Polls. Feel free to create a Poll on any subject you choose.

Is Kc better with or without Peter sinfield?

The music and lyrics were better and far more interesting
14%
Dont need him the music speaks for itself
85%

Total votes : 21

Kc and Peter Sinfield

Postby Krimzep on Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:57 am

simple question Is Kc better with or without Peter sinfield?

discuss
Krimzep
ProjeKction Godlike

Re: Kc and Peter Sinfield

Postby vrooom on Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:23 am

The subject of lyrics in King Crimson is a thorny one. The words Sinfield provided came from a different age and in the closing albums of his time with the band, these lyrics were more of a throwback to the Sixties that looking forward to the Seventies. This is not to say that they are bad: some of his stuff I find clever, if convoluted and well suited to the "feel" of Crimson, but then they are a world away from the words thrown down by Palmer-James and latterly Belew. At the beginning, the words and music melded together (Schizoid, Court, etc) but by the time we get to Lizard and some of Islands, those same-styled lyrics appear to be battling for attention against the music (the opening bars of Cirkus, The Letters, etc). Is this good or is this bad? I don't know. I quite enjoy the stuff Sinfield did during his latter period and it certainly brings an added tension to the songs, but things had to change. Could he have written words for Larks Tongues? No, I very much doubt it. There was a shift away from the verbose and a streamlined, more economical approach had to be taken so that the LTiA songs could breathe (Exiles, Book of Saturday). Sinfield couldn't have achieved this in "Crimson Mode". He would have squeezed in far more detail than was necessary and his words would have been full of patchouli-oil-soaked poeticism, completely out of step with the muscular KC that came into existance after his exit. However, I do think that by the 1980s, Sinfield had honed his craft as a lyricist and moved away from his trademark Sixties style and adopted a more "poppy" approach and this might have worked well with the Discipline band. I do believe that anyone with enough wordplay can ape David Byrne's lyrics without much effort (because that's essentially what Belew was doing in those early years, before he developed as a lyricist).

Darren
vrooom
Button Pusher

Postby Krimzep on Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:03 pm

know what Darren, I totally agree :)
Krimzep
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby extopian on Wed May 21, 2008 7:57 pm

From my exposure to Pete Sinfield's work in Emerson, Lake, and Palmer, ...as well as his work with KC, I've really found the man to be soooooooooooo negative. From Father Christmas to Islands, the man never seemed to have anything positive to say. Now, I may be wrong...please, if you can, show me the light at the end of Mr. Sinfield's tunnel of darkness; otherwise I shall continue to see him as a negative nelly who, in the long run, only holds others down -- he's a bummer.

Now, while Belew's early lyrics may've been a bit cheezy, Palmer-James did a fine job of straddling the darkness of early Crimson works and the stupid optimism of the mid-seventies. Oh, I shan't deny that there was an exploitative atmosphere predominating that era, but there's something to be said for the early knells of sarcasm.
extopian
ProjeKction Abecedarian

Postby Indyrod on Thu May 22, 2008 3:31 pm

I voted for Sinfield's lyrics, which are far far better than Belews. I've always thought Sinfield's lyrics fit the whole persona of King Crimson.
Everyone thinks I'm psychotic, except for my friends deep inside the earth.

de gustibus non est disputandum
Indyrod
Permanently Temporary ProjeKction Admin

Postby Riverman on Thu May 22, 2008 5:48 pm

Doesn't matter much to me either way. Lyrics in KC songs are like the dialogue in Jackie Chan movies.
The sound of one hand clapping is the same as the sound of a tree falling when no one's around to hear it.
Riverman
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby vrooom on Thu May 22, 2008 5:49 pm

Riverman wrote:Lyrics in KC songs are like the dialogue in Jackie Chan movies.

You've obviously never seen Jackie Chan's Hamlet... :D (No, it's just the cut of is trousers)

Darren
vrooom
Button Pusher

Postby Gilesfan on Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:29 am

He was great with them in the 60's and 70's. It is a different band now with a completely different style from then.
Gilesfan
Gilesfan
ProjeKction Godlike

Return to Polls